Author Topic: fitting spring-loaded roll-up seat belts to 1969  (Read 3161 times)

dcseidman

fitting spring-loaded roll-up seat belts to 1969
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:37:48 »
Does anybody have any experience fitting these (newer) type of seat belts to replace the "floppy" versions that came fitted (in the US, at least) to the 1969 SL?  It looks as if it would be pretty easy - and I do not care that it will not run through the chrome top piece - I care only that I can bolt the unit into place without any further modification to the car.  The retractable reel version would be a definite improvement, and, since my belts are original, they are rather tattered and need to be replaced.  One of the German suppliers whose e-mails I receive has them, and they look as if it would be an easy "plug and play" fit.

Anybody know anything about this?

Thanks.

David

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: fitting spring-loaded roll-up seat belts to 1969
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 07:48:02 »
David,
Pagodas have 3 factory installed belt attachment points on the driver side and also on the passenger side.
One is in the center tunnel, one on the rear wall below the parcel shelf and one on the B-pillar.
Some owners have installed an additional retractable reel under the shelf but that requires drilling two holes on each side. The picture should give you a general idea.  Ringbolts attached to the floor panel as shown in the picture were often installed by mechanics who did not know about the factory pre-installed nuts.
Also use the search function and type in "seat belts" and you'll get more ideas than you probably want to know about.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 07:53:49 by 66andBlue »
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)