Author Topic: Top Gear suspended by BBC  (Read 36759 times)

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
Top Gear suspended by BBC
« on: March 11, 2015, 16:18:40 »
A very surprising announcement that BBC suspended the Top Gear programme, apparently over the disagreement with Jeremy Clarkson

More about it here: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31824040

My comment: Clarkson always tried to play a controversial guy, but I cannot forget that he was ecstatic when in one of his episodes he drove in a Pagoda :)
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
Re: Top Gear suspended by BBC
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 16:42:27 »
Stan
TG apparently has a worldwide audience of about 350 million and earns the BBC about £100m a year. He earns about £3m a year from the BBC

Clarkson has been on a final warning from the BBC after a long list of comments that could very easily be construed as racist. Last week there was an argument on location and apparently he threw a punch at a producer. Seemingly the boorish behaviour that you see on set is perhaps not as much of an act as you'd like to think!

The BBC have suspended him, pending an investigation - which is what would happen in any workplace. TG is filmed here on a Wednesday for broadcast on a Sunday so they can't really do THIS week, and unlikely get any planning etc done for next (the last in the current series, I think). So they have suspended the show too. The line the BBC has to tread go forward is to do with throwing out the baby with the bathwater. I don't envy them especially as this went public yesterday and an online petition to "reinstate" him has already gone through 300,000 signatures!

edit - my bad: already over 400,000 signatures. In 24 hours
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 17:28:48 by JamesL »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 17:19:46 »
Have been a fan of the show for a long time. Jeremy has never been very PC and with a worldwide audience figured he would land in hotwater.
It seems every year he seemed to PO some nationality or country. Lately, the episodes are shown here in US only a week or two after they have been aired in UK and this season the guys have actually liked a few examples of "Detriot Iron" (Corvette, Ford and Chevy PU trucks). Was looking forward to a test of the Tesla P85D. I know Mr. Musk wasn't a big fan either but was hoping they made amends. Oh well...

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 19:54:01 »
Stan I love that segment (it was Series 3 Episode 8....) were Quote from Top Gear "Jeremy shows us how few cars can withstand the test of time, arguing that car design peaked in the ’60s. He reviews a ’60s Mercedes-Benz 280SL (W113) and expects to hate it, so that he can get rid of the idea of owning one. But it turns out that Mercs were built extremely well at the time, and they can be rebuilt cheaply if necessary. He recommends the buy to anyone who has an old-car fetish, like James and himself, also pointing out that it is better-made than any modern Mercedes-Benz" End of Quote from Top Gear

EDIT.... Found the clip here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARQtuQz3UoU

I know I have the link somewere on one of my computers I watched it several times. He hated the Z4 (I owned one once and took it all the way along Route 66 then sold it) I never forgave him for that LOL then he redeemed himself by loving our Pagoda :)

I think it is bad business for the BBC to cancel one of there best money makers, if this indeed comes to pass. Time will tell I guess ... we shall see
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 21:04:49 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 20:07:56 »
It's quite often that organizations have to make a choice between 'good business' and ethics. Ethics should prevail. This becomes especially tough when the culprit is a big money maker, bit those should be held to an even higher standard. I'm happy to see that it appears BBC is making the right choice, no matter how difficult.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 21:25:44 »
It's quite often that organizations have to make a choice between 'good business' and ethics. Ethics should prevail. This becomes especially tough when the culprit is a big money maker, bit those should be held to an even higher standard. I'm happy to see that it appears BBC is making the right choice, no matter how difficult.

Watch out Cees, I fear a piano is about to fall on your head... ;)

I love JC and his total disregard for anyone and everyone. That's what makes it so funny. In the states, he'd be paid PER EPISODE, by the way, what the BBC is paying him. Maybe they all need to move across the pond.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 21:49:50 »
Say no to political correctness I say...
Please like and share if you agree so we can bring back Clarkson.

https://www.facebook.com/reinstatejeremyclarkson/photos/a.647301628749873.1073741828.647290675417635/647301545416548/?type=1
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, Wales, CARDIFF
  • i Car
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 21:50:24 »
Unfortunately the BBC is now run by those who oppose any  "alpha -male" type intention, thought or behavoir,  & they have been targeting Mr Clarkson and Top Gear for a while now, having got rid of Jonathan Ross and Mr Paxman.

The schedules are full of "reality"  programmes and the management pander to the Lowest common denominator and the media.

Over 500,000 have already signed a petition for Mr Clarkson's reinstatement.

Just my view.

Keep well

Paul
Paul (located in Cardiff - Wales - UK)
1967 Early 250 SL (Auto) White
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD
1936 Alvis Firebird (Gone............)

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 13:33:45 »
Watch out Cees, I fear a piano is about to fall on your head... ;)
I'll stand with Cees under the Piano and help him catch it.  If it's a question of ethics vs. $$$, I'm voting for ethics and applaud BBC for it.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 15:00:27 »
Interesting difference of opinion among us, with Cees and Scott on the side of "ethics." Personally, I feel the BBC would be doing the right thing by supporting JC's platform to air his personality and incorrectness. . . because he's good at expressing himself. Because his pieces spark discussion and enthusiasm for the subject and for civilization in general. On the other hand. . . if he hit a producer, maybe they should just hit him back.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 15:42:07 »
Interesting difference of opinion among us, with Cees and Scott on the side of "ethics." Personally, I feel the BBC would be doing the right thing by supporting JC's platform to air his personality and incorrectness. . . because he's good at expressing himself. Because his pieces spark discussion and enthusiasm for the subject and for civilization in general. On the other hand. . . if he hit a producer, maybe they should just hit him back.
It's much more simple than that.

1) if the person (who represents the network) says stuff that is out of line on racial issues or whatever, there are sanctions ranging from public apology to termination.

2) if a person hits someone at the workplace they are terminated - no discussion

In neither case is this a "popularity contest".
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 17:15:13 »

From what was apparently revealed today, there were neither racial issues or punches thrown !

Paul
Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 17:23:06 »
From what was apparently revealed today, there were neither racial issues or punches thrown !
And what specifically was that (revealed today)?
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Paul & Dolly

• Gold
  • i Car
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 17:30:37 »
As there have been no official statements, it is left to the press ........

From Daily Telegraph today...

Jeremy Clarkson is alleged to have lashed out at a Top Gear producer because he was told he could not order a sirloin steak after a day of filming.

The 54-year-old was ravenous after arriving at his hotel at around 10pm last Wednesday night but lost his temper out after being told there was no hot food.

Clarkson told producer Oisin Tymon he fancied an 8oz sirloin with fondant potatoes, pan-fried wild mushrooms, grilled cherry tomatoes and peppercorn sauce........

But a "fracas" erupted when Tymon, 36, told him the kitchen was closed and suggested a platter of cold meats and cheeses instead.

Witnesses at Simonstone Hall Hotel in Hawes, North Yorks, near where the show was filming on location, told The Sun: "The staff knew the BBC crew were arriving late so they organised meat and cheese platters. The chef had already gone home.

"Clarkson didn't like the idea. He wanted his own way.........

"The producer was being blamed. Clarkson didn't hit him — but he did use every possible swear word you can imagine. He had to be held back."

Another source, who said Clarkson had been drinking rosé wine, added: "It was more like a scuffle. The producer stood looking quiet and embarrassed.

"He was being blamed for not arranging hot food. The general manager ended up cooking for the presenters."

and that is all I can find..

Paul

Mitsubishi i Car
Toyota RAV 4  Hybrid AWD

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 17:42:12 »
So the Daily Telegraph contradicts what is reported on BBC.   I think the information is incomplete and BBC will deal with making the stuff public in time.  Sounds like he acted like a real ****.
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

49er

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 18:26:48 »
So the Daily Telegraph contradicts what is reported on BBC.   I think the information is incomplete and BBC will deal with making the stuff public in time.  Sounds like he acted like a real ****.

I believe Mr. Clarkson is an "entertainer" first and foremost and in today's world that sort of behavior seems, unforutunately, SOP.

John
1969 280SL 003820
Un Restored, All Original, including the paint
Original Owner, Purchased September 18, 1968
4 speed manual, PS. 77217 miles
7280 miles since awoken from her 20+ yr "nap" in 2010

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 18:48:24 »
I challenge any of you to go in your place of work as an employee and cause a scuffle over some food and not face sanction. Let me know how you get on.

The BBC is publicly funded and has spent the past 2 years being criticised out the wazoo for not doing more to stop talented employees in the 70s and 80s doing some very inappropriate things to young females both on and off BBC premises. They really cannot (and IMO, should not) laugh it off and say "it's just Jeremy and his banter" as they seemingly turned a blind eye in the 70s.  However, clearly, more than half a million people have signed a petition saying otherwise.

If he didn't throw a punch, and was boozed up, then the investigation should reveal as much and any sanction should be lifted. If he did assault a colleague, I assume an appropriate sanction will follow (see my first sentence)
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 19:07:29 »
This all reminds me of how Charlie Sheen got thrown off two and a half men. Seems like a comparable story, what I know about it anyway.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 20:37:28 »
Clarkson is definitely an animal from another era long gone.
One may not like him, but he IS a unique personality.
I am not expressing any lauds for somebody, who is harassing other people, but then we would have to ban 90% of celebrities that devastate hotel rooms, go from scandals to scandals and live in a totally different outrageously alienated world.

At least Clarkson seems to be a real man, and not another silicone soap opera star. No offence....
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 21:19:10 »
I'll stand with Cees under the Piano and help him catch it.

...you DO understand the falling piano reference, right? No, oh, heck: https://youtu.be/uhr-Zi4ozng

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 21:32:31 »
I challenge any of you to go in your place of work as an employee and cause a scuffle over some food and not face sanction. Let me know how you get on.

The BBC is publicly funded and has spent the past 2 years being criticised out the wazoo for not doing more to stop talented employees in the 70s and 80s doing some very inappropriate things to young females both on and off BBC premises. They really cannot (and IMO, should not) laugh it off and say "it's just Jeremy and his banter" as they seemingly turned a blind eye in the 70s.  However, clearly, more than half a million people have signed a petition saying otherwise.

If he didn't throw a punch, and was boozed up, then the investigation should reveal as much and any sanction should be lifted. If he did assault a colleague, I assume an appropriate sanction will follow (see my first sentence)

You big softy, James!
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2015, 21:56:39 »
I strongly believe that BBC should have dealt with this matter internally and not punish millions of fans that loved the program. If all this comes to pass talking about shooting one self in the foot BBC would have used a double barrel shotgun to shoot themselves in the foot (loosing millions of pounds in the process).

Gomer Pyle (Jim Nabors) would have said... "shame ... shame ... shame ..." 

Glad I have some of the DVD's from past seasons.

DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 06:08:12 »
In my work I have come to know communications and media folks as usually being very savvy at how to deal with situations like this. I would expect that BBC thoroughly considered all tthe likely reactions, backlash, publicity, "we want our hero back" commotion that is happening, and still very consciously went ahead weighing all the pros and cons of their decisions and wanting to be absolutely sure they can explain and are justified in their actions. After all media and comms is their core business. I may be mis-proven in this case, but my bets are still on BBC management.
Cees Klumper
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 13:08:51 »
...you DO understand the falling piano reference, right? No, oh, heck: https://youtu.be/uhr-Zi4ozng
Ha!  No, I didn't connect the two and now I distantly remember that clip.  IMHO, from back when Top Gear was funny.

Regarding sanctioning entertainers who trash hotel rooms, etc, I think such behavior is becoming increasingly less tolerated by society.

Regarding 1/2 million people signing something.  So what. 
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

Flyair

• Platinum
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 14:23:40 »
Regarding 1/2 million people signing something.  So what.  

Scoot
are you trying to deny the democratic popular vote, and promoting a political correctness dictatorship? ??? ;D
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA