Author Topic: Pivot Shaft Parts  (Read 1571 times)

sbarouch

Pivot Shaft Parts
« on: September 04, 2018, 22:44:09 »
Hi Everybody,
I'm new to the forum and have been researching all of the posts regarding the rear axle removal and restoration.  I have a 1971 280SL that I inherited from my parents and since it has been stored for the last 14 years I am in the process of trying to get it running again with the help of everybody's advice on the forum.  I have replaced the brakes and now going through the rear axle/differential to replace seals that have been leaking.  We have removed the rear axle assembly to make the work easier with the next step to remove the pivot shaft and replace any worn parts.  Regarding the pivot shaft, are the rubber O rings the only items that should be replaced and where can I get them?  I know I can order the rubber bushing part if needed that connects the vertical support, but I don't see any other parts available.

Scott

Rick

• Regular
  • USA, NV, Gardnerville
Re: Pivot Shaft Parts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 14:35:16 »
A warning.  That pivot shaft can be a bear to remove and install.  It frequently ends up damaged in the process as it is a soft metal.  There are 4 o-rings associated with this.  They are dust protection for the bushings and are not essential.   With your axle out, it is easy to check for wear on the shaft bushings by checking for excessive loosness between the halves of the housing.  If the car had regular care and grease, these bushing do not wear out.   I do strongly suggest, that if these bushings show little wear, do not remove that shaft.  You are better off to leave it alone.  Do change the axle boot.  The split type boot works very well and with your axle out, it is easy to replace. 

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Pivot Shaft Parts
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2018, 16:22:10 »
Rubber parts are easily available from the dealer or other resources and ebay. K & K Manufacturing in Michigan also sells these parts and has a good online catalog with part numbers and prices. You can even phone them and you get a knowledgeable person to help you.  Some better pricing is elsewhere on line, but with less customer service.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback