Author Topic: Timing mark on fuel injector pump  (Read 7453 times)

chankel

Timing mark on fuel injector pump
« on: February 01, 2009, 16:07:59 »
I have had my injector pump rebuilt by Hans and am still having trouble getting my 230 to run. I removed the pump and noticed that the alignment mark on the plate is on the top left side under the screw but on every picture I have seen the mark is always on the right upper side of the plate. Is it possible that the plate is installed wrong and that is causing me to set the timing wrong?

al_lieffring

Re: Timing mark on fuel injector pump
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 21:41:58 »
The injection pump timing should not prevent the motor from starting, the motor should start and run no matter how the pump timing is installed Incorect pump timing will reduce the engine performance not keep it from starting. I have never dealt with Hans, but I can't imagine an experienced rebuilder making such mistake.

I think you have air trapped in the injection lines. Use a remote starter button connected th the cold start valve to inject 1/2 second pulses of fuel fuel into the motor while cranking untill the motor starts and stays running on its own. It can take a while before the air is completly worked out of the lines. Don't overlook other systems like the fuel pump, fuel pressure, ignition timing, spark etc.

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 22:37:40 »
Andy
the timing mark on the pump should be about 10 pm.
so, you turn the gear till the mark lines up with the timing hash mark.

does your car start at all?
when I re install the pump etc I have to get the fuel started by applying a vacuum to the return line from the pump. even then it takes a few trys to get the car started.
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

chankel

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 23:20:29 »
I can only get it to start using starter fluid. It has gas at the injectors but won't stay running on its own.

chankel

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 23:23:35 »
I seem to have great gas flow to the pump, a small amount of gas comes out at each injector if I break the seal, and I seem to be getting good spark since I installed a new 123 ignition dist. Just can not get it to run without starting fluid.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 02:08:37 »
Hello chankel,

It does take quite a bit of cranking.  Depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.  Make sure the starting solenoid on the intake manifold and injection pump are being activated.  Sometimes jumping the intake starting solenoid (cold start valve) csv  with a hot wire can also help the first start.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

chankel

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 02:49:02 »
I will try that Monday and report if it works. Thanks for your help, not just on this issue but I have read your other post on starting issues.

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:17 »
I removed my injector pump on my 280 SE M130 and found the timing marks NOT aligned. I first set the timing mark to 20 ATDC before removing the pump. I very carefully removed the pump trying not to disturb the settings.

As Matt said, the timing mark on the pump body was @ 10 O'clock just under a screw head. The timing marks on the shaft and the notch in the spline were both aligned but they were both at the 11 O'clock position.

I have been having idle quality problems and also a problem with the engine dying just after it starts. If I didn't move the timing marks during removal and they had been misaligned all along, could this be a reason for my troubles? How significant is the timing on this pump? I am hoping this is the "smoking gun" I have been looking for.

Thanks for your help.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6