Author Topic: shifting gears when linkage comes off automatic, safer possibility.  (Read 2376 times)

wd

Well in researching my problem I came across a couple of threads where others were stranded when their auto linkage grommets went kaput.  Several people mentioned having someone sit in the car with the brake on and the parking brake on while they went under the car to shift it in gear. Of course dangerous but obviously they survived to post.

In my case my starter lockout/backup light cable also broke at the switch on the firewall.  So I have been toying with that.  
Safer suggestion:  I have found that with the shifter linkage off, (possibly with it on, I will test that later) I am able to shift the transmission by moving the cable from under the hood. Just use the lockout switch lever to push it slowly up or down.  It moves very easily.  If you have a dual failure like I did you could pull/push on the cable with a pair of pliers. Remember it will be three clicks down to get to drive.   So for getting home this might be a safer way to get the transmisson in drive than going under the car. This procedure would of course still require the brakes being manned.  Just a suggestion. Be careful out there.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 23:28:46 by wd »