Author Topic: Alex D's Car  (Read 1240 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Alex D's Car
« on: May 18, 2023, 21:27:56 »
...meanwhile back at the ranch, AlexD's Pagoda is being worked on by YOUNG PEOPLE much younger than the Pagoda, who KNOW the car, and do darn fine work on them. Oh yes, it's in Michigan.

If your local car clubs cannot help you find what you need you may need to cast your net wider.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Alex D's Car
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 23:53:50 »
Good to hear that Alex's 250SL is finally on the road to recovery!
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 11:12:40 »
Good to hear that Alex's 250SL is finally on the road to recovery!

It's been "in recovery" for some time, though AlexD's not been posting much about it...for those unfamiliar, the car was "T-boned" and aside from the obvious work there was a lot of effort in dealing with multiple insurance companies.

There are parallels to AlexD's situation and that of the original poster: looking for assistance, with body/paint work, initially at least, close to home.

If you recall the original photos, (posted a while back last autumn) the car needed significant mechanical work (including a new rear axle) along with the very obvious and significant body work. There's a well known and respected mechanical shop in the Triangle (Raleigh) area of NC I mentioned, A Better Wrench, that is familiar with this car and other older Mercedes and collectibles. They were able to handle all of the needed mechanical work. The body work was more concerning and less obvious as to where to go, similar to BHaps' challenge in this original posting. AlexD knew of some places in North Carolina that were possibilities but some were too busy (booked for six months to two years); some just wanted boatloads of money (a polite way of turning down work) and would not even begin to provide an estimate, or something else. Alex knew and discovered some of these places by talking to those respected in the Mercedes community here. So AlexD was forced to cast his net a little wider than eastern NC and even past surrounding states. As a good friend he kept asking me what would I do and I told him to contact the guy and firm that has done work on my car after restoration (Satish Tummala of Motorwerksgroup in Commerce Michigan) Satish flew down to Raleigh, brought his camera phone and laptop, and in a matter of a couple of hours had all he needed to get an estimate together. In a reasonable amount of time after this, the mechanical work estimate from A Better Wrench was incorporated into the Motorwerks estimate and one of the most important parts of the entire debacle was solved: a single solid, trusted estimate encompassing all the work that could be presented to the insurance companies for settlement. It was and it was. One thing that was of concern was whether the car was going to need a complete re-spray or if just refinishing the affected body panels and adjacent panels would be sufficient. Nobody knew the answer to that in advance, but once all the body work is completed, a decision will be made. That's not "project creep" but the ability to do a respectable job by ensuring it looks like no work was done. If you can tell work was done, well one may always regret not getting it re-sprayed. I've been in this position with Motorwerks twice (though not for crash work) and in both cases they did a fabulous job of blending. Nobody can tell what was fresh paint or that 20+ years old. Isn't that the goal with body work? To make it look like nothing was done?

AlexD was not going to take his car to just anyone and wanted someone he could trust both for mechanical work and for body work. It's all well and good to want a trusted mechanic and body shop in your backyard, but alas few of us are so positioned to have such luxury. One needs to use your network (including this and maybe other forums) often to uncover people and places that can help you. By using his network of friends and asking a lot of questions, he got the truth and found both. The car will be returned to AlexD in a condition far better than it was prior to the crash.

Motorwerks indicated that they could not handle the project until April, which allowed some months for the mechanical parts to be obtained, and the work completed. By March, this work was done, and the car was shipped up to Michigan. Within days after arrival serious work commenced. AlexD has been sent photos regularly and it's clear they are working on it and much progress has been made either in agreement with or ahead of the proposed timetable.

It's a shame that The Finishing Edge, while not exactly in the backyard of BHap, who once worked on Bill Sgros and Peter Lesler's cars, can't or won't work on cars like the Pagoda any more. I suppose you do what you can do to survive; only they know their business in their neighborhood. But it's disturbing that the owner, "Mike" chose to say "the young guys don't want to work on the old stuff. That's insulting to the young; it's HIS young guys. Some of the mechanics at A Better Wrench are clearly younger than our cars. I know the owner of Motorwerks, and he's younger than our cars, and his body shop guys younger than him! These two places, doing different kinds of work in disparate locations on 50+ year old cars, are doing fine work with people younger than our cars.

One may have a few stone chips on your car. Names, places and products have been offered here to fix stone chips on a Pagoda. You can fix these with products already mentioned just to do that. If you don't like the results of that (you will see a repair...) you need a pro. If you need to remove chrome trim and a windshield to do that, by no stretch of the imagination is that a "small job" and it won't be priced like that from anyone. For our adventurous and skilled members like Cees Klumper, this may be something he does in an afternoon. For the rest of us, it's take it to a trusted pro.
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 14:39:44 »
What Mike Salemi said in the previous post is 100% true as it relates to my situation with the accident.

Once I got the insurance settlement $$. We had to do some mechanical work to get the car mobile first, new fan as the violent impact had the car on two wheels and upon hitting the ground, the fan blades broke and pierced thru the radiator, so a new fan and had the radiator recored.  Then installed rebuild rear axle all done by a Better Wrench in Chapel Hill, NC. Then on to body work.

I had one body shop tell me no estimate, they will send a invoice every month and i just pay it, be it $50k, or $150k, - sorry I do not give anyone an open checkbook. Second shop said two years before they can even start working on it.  Third body shop bowed out once they realized the amount of work.  That's when I ask Mike Salemi for a recommendation, which was Motorwerks in MI. Once receiving the pics, Satish the owner knew exactly what needed where to get parts, how long it would take and gave an initial rough estimate. Once deciding on going with Motorwerks, I flew Satish from Michigan to North Carolina to see the damage in person, after which he was convinced it would not be a problem, he fine tuned the estimate and I send the car to Motorwerks in April, with estimated completion date of June/July, no nonsense, totally professional, first class operation, could not be happier at this point.

If it was not for this group and the help of Joe Alexander, Gernold, and especially Mike Salemi my car would still be in my garage and I would not be sleeping at night.  I can not thank this group enough for all it's invaluable advice and help.

Alex
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi
181 Light Beige, with  112 Turquoise Interior

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2023, 22:52:16 »
Some good progreess. 

Alex
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 00:38:47 »
Alex,
Looks like they are doing some great work. Hows the time frame looking now.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

Alex D

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Cary
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2023, 17:00:54 »
Hi Garry,

As of today looking at late June/early July. 

Alex
Alex D
1967 250 SL
Original 140K mi

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 20:29:03 »
Dear Alex,

So good to hear from you
and especially to hear that your car is finally making big progress.
Thanks to Michael and all of the Group who were involved.

You cannot or won't believe how much I suffered with you - not only because we are "hellbeige" brothers....

I cannot await to see your car (on pics) like new again,
and a happier-than-ever Alex in front of it - or in driver's seat!

Good luck ahead, an please keep us updated.

Best,

Achim

Achim
(Germany)

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 13:15:07 »
I hope we can see the car in September in Chicago.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe