W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

What would you do with engine out of car?

(1/2) > >>

n/a:
Hello all! In a few months, I am going to pull the motor/trans so that I can restore the engine bay back to it's stock color (someone painted engine bay flat black!) and do some rust repair.  My question is, what reapirs would you do to the engine/trans with these units removed from the vehicle?  I know that I will clean, beadblast/ and reseal various assemblies.  I will most likely do timing chain and valve stem seals.  Any other ideas?  Thanks!

gugel:
No doubt you already know this, but I'll mention it anyway -- if the motor mounts or subframe mounts need replacing, it's a lot easier to do it with the engine out of the car.

Chris Earnest

Cees Klumper:
One thing I would do is check the pivot post that the gas linkage is on, on the passenger side of the engine (below the intake and exhaust manifolds). If it's worn, it will influence the tightness of the linkage. So this would be the time to replace it and the small nylon bushings in there. When you pull the engine, make sure you don't bend the 'gas pedal rod' coming in from the firewall. Also, when putting the engine back in, make sure you fit the speedometer cable before dropping the engine back in place (don't ask!).

Cees Klumper in Amsterdam
'69 white 280 SL automatic

Bob G:
Steam clean the engine bay and repaint it. Replace all the gromets in the fire wall. replace anything that looked like it was old and going to break. Detail the motor and and cat plate the fuel lines and brakets . Detail and repaint the front suspension do any body work while the engine was out that was required in the front nose or fenders.
smile when it is done.
Bob Geco

hauser:
If the engine needed rebuilding this would be the time to do it.  I would also replace anything and everthing made of rubber or plastic.  If I were thinking of doing a color change in the future I would do this now.  The final product would be a complete detail!  I had asked around what a job like this wold cost and it seemed to average about $15,000.00  :(

1969 280sl 5 spd        1999 ML320          Gainesville,Fl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version