Author Topic: Broken caliper bleed screw  (Read 5149 times)

dseretakis

Broken caliper bleed screw
« on: June 07, 2011, 20:06:44 »
I'm in the process of doing some brake work to get my car roadworthy for the Arundel Maine gathering this weekend. I went to loosen the bleeder screw on my rear passenger caliper and as I expected (it was really rusted) it sheared off. I tried various extractors to no avail. I ended up drilling most of it out and picking away the thin remains of the scew from the threaded walls in the caliper. In the process I inadvertently made some grooves perpendicular to the threads. The conical surface to which the end of the bleeder screw seats is intact. I think I'll be ok as the sealing action of the bleeder screw seems to be related to the two conical surfaces making contact once the screw is fully tightened. I don't think that the damaged threads will lead to a leak. What do you all think?

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
Re: Broken caliper bleed screw
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 00:55:23 »
Having been there before myself, if you put the brake system all back together, bleed the brakes, then dry everything off around that bleeder valve, then push on the brake pedal a good bid - if there is no leakage, you might have it resolved. Brakes are one of those things, though, that I hate to have any ???? about, especially on a 280SL.  I think you are probably correct that if you can get the bleeder screw to seat tight against the female part of the caliper it should work. I would probably make a few calls and see if there are any used calipers available nearby just because, as I said above, I really don't like there to be any ??? on any part of the brakes.  I'm not sure what you will be doing at Gernold's place but I will bet he has a brake caliper and if you drive there with what you have, if it were me I would replace it at his place. Shouldn't be more than 1/2 hour to R and R the caliper and bleed. I'm sure others are going to tell you don't even try it, and i would really only do it as a last resort. Maybe if you call Gernold he could overnight you a replacement caliper.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

dseretakis

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:23:11 »
Yes I agree on maybe just a temporary solution just to get to Arundel. I'm not that keen on using that caliper.

amg65ri

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:38:06 »
If you do drive on it... I would bring extra fluid, a few screws slighlty larger than the bleeder, jb weld, and something to cap off the line or a plug to put into the union/distrubtion valve for that line... I agree its safer not to go, but having had brake issues with one of my vehicles on a long 1200mile trip, there are some things to play it safe. Dont slam on the brakes if you dont have to, anticipate stops and drive it like you have no brakes.... i guess after writing this it sounds like a bad idea to nurse the car to maine like that...and dangerous.

dseretakis

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 03:39:52 »
Success. The bleeder screw repair worked. There was some leaking around the threads while the the screw was opened to bleed but when it was tightened up all was dry. I took the car on a thirty mile drive and all was good.