Author Topic: Reassembling shift plate components again - a few questions  (Read 3049 times)

bootes

I assembled the manual gear shifter 180 degrees the wrong way and am redoing.  As I get back into this, a few things cross my mind again so I thought I would throw it out there to the experts this time:

1) Regarding the lower rubber boot (below the shift plate - see 1st picture; 2nd picture is old lower boot)... how does it stay in place (the top portion of the boot that seemingly attaches to the shift plate)? Is it to stay secured sealed around the bottom of the shift plate (where the shifter goes through)? My old one was clearly worn. I've replaced but there is only a very tiny lip for the boot to go over to seal. Seems unlikely it will stay in place (maybe it's not important for this to seal over lip?).

2) There is a large rubber spacer that goes below shift plate (see pic). How does stay in place? Seems like it could possibly slip down inside the transmission tunnel or possibly worse case just not stay in place?

Comments appreciated!

Thanks,

Rick

IXLR8

Re: Reassembling shift plate components again - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:56:33 »
Hi--

I just replaced mine, and here's what I did:

The lower boot fits into a slot machined around the lower shift lever mount. It should hold in place, although I have been told that for later model cars this boot was eliminated.

I placed the rubber spacer above the shift plate, and it is held in place by the molded nylon mounting plate. Maybe I did mine incorrectly, but the transmission seems to shift just fine.

Joe

717-113

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 05:55:55 »
i placed the rubber spacer on top of the transmission tunnel, and under the plate. then when you bolt the cover down it gets sandwiched and the plate wont shift on the ruuber sparer, as well as it wont rattle on the metal surface

IXLR8

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 00:34:40 »
It now appears that there are TWO rubber spacers, one above the shift plate, and the other below. The one pictured by Bootes is the one that goes BELOW the shift plate.

The other one, with the rubber liip goes ABOVE.

See the following:

UPPER http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/index.php/language/en/cat/c3_Mercedes-Benz-230SL-250SL-280SL-Pagoda--R113-W113-.html#cat_65_position_10_prod_0

AND

LOWER: http://www.sls-hh-shop.de/index.php/language/en/cat/c3_Mercedes-Benz-230SL-250SL-280SL-Pagoda--R113-W113-.html#cat_65_position_14_prod_0

So, I will now reassemble mine for the THIRD time.

Joe