Author Topic: windshield  (Read 3590 times)

ljg

windshield
« on: October 31, 2010, 00:26:23 »
I am having a terrible time with the replacement of my windshield.  The factory non-tinted one is much too small in at least one of its dimensions.  An aftermarket one does fit but obviously doesn't have the correct markings.  I also had some difficulty with the new MB aluminum windshield trim.  We did get them to fit but their shape just isn't perfect.  At least six trim pieces were ordered.
Has anyone else struggled with this issue?
ljg

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
Re: windshield
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 02:57:54 »
Hello L.
a couple of years back I helped friend installing a new windshield with a new frame. The new aluminum frame had to be adjusted to the curvature of the opening by careful bending and careful pounding the frame already fitted on the glass with a very soft mallet (or palm) to get the four corners correct. Is that where you are having problems?
What do you consider to be the "correct" markings? There were a lot of different OEM suppliers over the years and I assume all of their window markings would be "correct". See: http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=10480.0
And why is the original window too small?  ???
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

ljg

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:50:49 »
Thank you for your reply.  Your description of the aluminum trim is much like our experience.  The OEM windshield from MB did not fill in the upper corners well at all.   Even with an experienced glass man, cord placed in the gasket, etc. it wouldn't work.
We obtained a second MB glass and the same problem with size occurred.
I would have liked the MB markings on the glass as my car has only 14,000 miles.
Thanks again

ljg

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 19:58:36 »
my glass guy sent the first ppg glass back, but the problem was him, not the glass. The moldings are usually bent wrong , even when new--Mine were brand new---I had to show the guy how to do it. The trim must be manipulated and put on the the rubber molding, and on the glass first. Then the whole thing is inserted with the rope technique starting from one corner. On mine, we started with the passenger side upper right first.
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red

ljg

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 22:22:29 »
Was your PPG glass clear or tinted?  Why didn't you use the MB glass?
thanks,
ljg

rmmchl

• Silver
  • USA, WV, Charleston
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 00:52:48 »
from what they tell me ppg makes them for mercedes---retail on the ppg is under $200.00-3x that for mercedes brand-yes, it is tinted just like the factory, although not as "green" as the factory-they don't make "green" anymore as I understand------Safelite can do this for you. Just have to find someone who has been there for years. Nothing special about this glass or installation if they put molding and rubber on first-they charge reasonable fees. They haven't been told they should charge us a fortune, like all the other crap on these money pits!
michael romeo           
1967  250sl
signal red