Author Topic: Restoration - Update  (Read 59405 times)

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
Re: Restoration - Update
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2008, 05:26:41 »
quote:
Originally posted by bpossel

Thanks Hauser!

Naj, I was going to take a pic of the tool in use, but it was hard to hold the tool in place.  I will try to still take a pic for the group.

Bob

Thanks,
Just gathering info for my axle change...

naj
68 280SL

James Stern

« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2008, 06:18:52 »
Bob,

You really did have a busy weekend.  I really love all the great documentation you are doing on what will truly be a fantastic job.
You remain an inspiration to all of us.

Jim :)

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2008, 16:17:02 »
Hi Bob!

It's looking great, really great.

I was looking at the photos of your rocker covers and screws that hold them. Are they #8 1/2 inch flathead or panhead screws? looks like yours are panhead but I can't tell for sure from the photo,  mine seem to have a universal assortment from the wonderful world of #8 and #4 fasteners and I'd like to do the correct thing and replace them all with the same type and correct ones. Also I noticed you did not paint the screws black, is that because they were that way originally or did you just not get around to painting them yet?

Thanks for sharing all this with us, I always look forward to seeing the photos and reading your comments about your progress. I know everybody else does too.

Mark

bpossel

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2008, 17:34:13 »
Hi Mark,

They are panhead, as that what was on my car originally.  I replaced them with new stainless ones. I will paint them later after I get more of my car together.  Havent done any work in the past week.  Have been tied up at work.  Hopefully will start up again in a week or so.....
Bob

==========================================

quote:
Originally posted by Mark280SL

Hi Bob!

It's looking great, really great.

I was looking at the photos of your rocker covers and screws that hold them. Are they #8 1/2 inch flathead or panhead screws? looks like yours are panhead but I can't tell for sure from the photo,  mine seem to have a universal assortment from the wonderful world of #8 and #4 fasteners and I'd like to do the correct thing and replace them all with the same type and correct ones. Also I noticed you did not paint the screws black, is that because they were that way originally or did you just not get around to painting them yet?

Thanks for sharing all this with us, I always look forward to seeing the photos and reading your comments about your progress. I know everybody else does too.

69280sl

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Elk Grove
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2008, 18:58:41 »
Bob: In looking thru the photo albums, I see you have a number of parts laid out with the notation "powder coated". These parts include the overflow tank which is soldered brass. Did this stand up to the heat of the powder coat oven?

It looks like you're going to end up with the worlds finest pagoda.

Gus
68 280sl
Gus

68 280sl, signal red/ beige/black softtop. Car # 1084

bpossel

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 03:53:07 »
Hi Gus,  thanks!
Powder coating the overflow tank was a concern, but mine came out fine in the end.  The guy doing the powder coat did a trial run in his oven first to see how it would hold up.  It did, so he then completed it.
Regards, Bob  :)
=================================

quote:
Originally posted by 69280sl

Bob: In looking thru the photo albums, I see you have a number of parts laid out with the notation "powder coated". These parts include the overflow tank which is soldered brass. Did this stand up to the heat of the powder coat oven?

It looks like you're going to end up with the worlds finest pagoda.

Gus
68 280sl

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 03:58:11 »
Nice job Bob, double check the top washers on your front shocks, I believe you have them intalled upside down.
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

gary brown

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2008, 13:38:18 »
nice one bob im doing the same amount of work in london on 1965  230 sl 180 silver and black interior 1800 hrs so far every nut and bolt replated and new interior new everything 14000euros just on paint that after i stripped her back to nothing then she was put in a hydrosonic water tank to get everything including old underseal off she has all the original panels stillwas 29 yrs in a garage cover in wood doors and wood undeneath hence very little rust the wood absorbed the moisture

James Stern

« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2008, 03:46:54 »
Bob,

Thanks again for the wonderful documentation of a truly great build. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are following your build and cheering you on  :D .  As one of your followers said it may end up as "The worlds greatest Pagoda".  

Jim "Pagodaless" Stern

James Stern

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2008, 06:28:12 »
Bob,

Thanks for your latest posting.  Even though I am now Pagodaless (it's on it's way to the new owner) I want to stay in the loop to see your car to completion.  Again, many thanks for your old interior it was in incredible shape.  

Keep up the great work a lot of us are inspired by your dedication.

Jim Stern

glennard

« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2008, 03:38:44 »
A work of art---

717-113

« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2008, 00:27:23 »
Hey, Could you post some pictures of the floor from underneath? I'm just getting new floors put in my car. Just want to see what mine should look like :P
Thanks

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2008, 14:51:48 »
Bob,

The engine looks beautiful. I now have something for inspiration.

On your injector pump, how did you refinish the barometric compensator and the coolant inlet for the WRD?
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2008, 16:03:57 »
Bob,
I showed your progress to the fellows at www.blackforestllc.com  Great people and very well versed on the 113.  Locally we're planning a late fall one day tech session there.  They were quite impressed with the quality of your work and your timetable.  Thought you might appreciate hearing kudos from professionals.
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

bpossel

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008, 16:54:29 »
Hi Jon,

I don't have a lift, so the pics dont really turn out.  As soon as the car is driveable, I'll get it on a lift for some pics.
Bob  :)

quote:
Originally posted by 717-113

Hey, Could you post some pictures of the floor from underneath? I'm just getting new floors put in my car. Just want to see what mine should look like :P
Thanks

bpossel

« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2008, 16:59:09 »
Hell Wallace,

Thanks!  I cheated!  I sent my ip pump to Pacific Fuel Injection in California.  They did a complete overhaul...

quote:
Originally posted by wwheeler

Bob,

The engine looks beautiful. I now have something for inspiration.

On your injector pump, how did you refinish the barometric compensator and the coolant inlet for the WRD?

bpossel

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2008, 17:01:21 »
Hi John,

Great!!!  Thanks for the cudos!  It helps me to keep going...  Sometimes its a bit of a chore...  but it will be nice when I am done and am able to drive it again!  I cant wait!!!

Thanks again,

quote:
Originally posted by thelews

Bob,
I showed your progress to the fellows at www.blackforestllc.com  Great people and very well versed on the 113.  Locally we're planning a late fall one day tech session there.  They were quite impressed with the quality of your work and your timetable.  Thought you might appreciate hearing kudos from professionals.

James Stern

« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2008, 05:30:46 »
 :D Bob,

The project is looking better every day.  It looks like you will have the car done while there is good enough weather to enjoy it.  Now that the heart of the car is back in you have to be excited.  Great work!

Jim Stern

bpossel

« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2008, 06:08:37 »
Thanks Jim!

You're right!  I am very excited that the engine is back home again.  Like many restorations... one step forward and on step back... Last Sunday, the guy who painted my car came over to do a bit of "touch-up" painting around the area where the leaf springs attach (this is where he had the front of the rottiserie attached when the car was being painted).  So I dropped the leaf springs so he could do a good job painting.  On Monday morning, I decided it was time to clean the garage floor, so I pushed my car out onto the driveway (forgot leaf springs were still detached).  When I was finished, I pulled my car back in, pulling from the edge of the trunk bay (note: car is very light w/o engine and easy to move).  Anyway, as I had to pull hard to get the wheels to move over the 2 inch height difference between my driveway and garage floor, it really seemed harder than it should have been.  As I then looked at the front, I just about had a cow.  My entire front suspension was forward, front wheels were touching the front fenders.  It shows how these cars really float on the subframe mounts! I jacked up the front and it was very easy to push the suspension back and attach the leaf springs.  I lowered the car and it seemed to sit a bit high.  I looked at the subframe mounts (only 2 years old...), and they looked ok.  I thought that once the engine is in that it would lower the front end...

Monday afternoon, the guy who painted my car came over and helped me to put the engine back in.  He was a great help since he has removed and reset engines many times...  Once the engine was in, the body never settled down.  It looks like its flying away.  So, had to order new subframe kits and install next week.  Started to disconnect many parts that I installed already....
Oh well!

quote:
Originally posted by James Stern

:D Bob,

The project is looking better every day.  It looks like you will have the car done while there is good enough weather to enjoy it.  Now that the heart of the car is back in you have to be excited.  Great work!

Jim Stern

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2008, 08:44:24 »

Happy 4th Bob. The engine looks beautiful back in the car again! you've really made a lot of progress lately. It will be back on the road before you know it. Your project is very inspirational.

I noticed when you pulled your engine you took the transmission out with it at the same time. Is that the recommended\best way to do it (as a unit) even if someone was not going to do work on the trans also? I'm guessing you reinstalled them together as a unit too?
Mark

bpossel

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2008, 09:36:07 »
Hi Mark,

Happy 4th of July also!
Thanks!  Have been off this week and spending a lot of hrs on the car.  Anxious to get it done!  Yes, I removed and re-installed with the trans connected.  It is a bit harder to re-install this way, but I think easier in the long run.  I have heard, read it done both ways.  Maybe Joe, Dr. Benz, or others that have done this more often can chime in?
Have a nice holiday!

quote:

Happy 4th Bob. The engine looks beautiful back in the car again! you've really made a lot of progress lately. It will be back on the road before you know it. Your project is very inspirational.

I noticed when you pulled your engine you took the transmission out with it at the same time. Is that the recommended\best way to do it (as a unit) even if someone was not going to do work on the trans also? I'm guessing you reinstalled them together as a unit too?

Mark280SL

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, PA, New Hope
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2008, 20:00:22 »
Thanks Bob, After trying several different search phrases I just came across an old post by Joe Alexander where he says he prefers to remove them together, sounds like it's difficult to unbolt the transmission and just easier to pull them together.

Thank you Bob and Joe for all your great wisdom.

quote:

Hi Mark,

Happy 4th of July also!
Thanks!  Have been off this week and spending a lot of hrs on the car.  Anxious to get it done!  Yes, I removed and re-installed with the trans connected.  It is a bit harder to re-install this way, but I think easier in the long run.  I have heard, read it done both ways.  Maybe Joe, Dr. Benz, or others that have done this more often can chime in?
Have a nice holiday!

quote:

Mark

James Stern

« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2008, 03:18:32 »
Bob,

I just read about the sub-frame assembly disaster.  I'm so sorry that something like this happened[:0].  You are so meticulous on every step that this must have been a late night scenario.  How long will it take to get the new sub-frame assemblies back to you?  I read in your message to Mark that you had taken a little time off and that's why you have made such great progress.  I hope other people beside your paint guy are helping you.  I don't know where you find the time to restore the car, document the process, answer emails and Oh by the way work to afford all this?

Anyway keep it up but try to have something left over so that when this is all done you will be able to enjoy the car :D .

Jim Stern

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2008, 08:26:37 »
quote:

.../... the car and it seemed to sit a bit high.  I looked at the subframe mounts (only 2 years old...), and they looked ok.  I thought that once the engine is in that it would lower the front end.../...Once the engine was in, the body never settled down.  It looks like its flying away.  So, had to order new subframe kits.../...

Perhaps discussed earlier in your long thread here, but you are aware that the subframe parts for the sedans/coupés are higher than the ones for the W113? So be sure to get repair kit Number 113 586 00 33, these include the metal plates which cover the top opening in the car's frame. For W111 and W108 the kit No is 108 330 02 75 (new number for old 108 586 00 33)

/Hans S

bpossel

« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2008, 17:53:55 »
Thanks Hans !!!

I will check with my supplier on Monday to ensure the correct part number has been ordered.  Thanks again!

quote:
Originally posted by mbzse

quote:

.../... the car and it seemed to sit a bit high.  I looked at the subframe mounts (only 2 years old...), and they looked ok.  I thought that once the engine is in that it would lower the front end.../...Once the engine was in, the body never settled down.  It looks like its flying away.  So, had to order new subframe kits.../...

Perhaps discussed earlier in your long thread here, but you are aware that the subframe parts for the sedans/coupés are higher than the ones for the W113? So be sure to get repair kit Number 113 586 00 33, these include the metal plates which cover the top opening in the car's frame. For W111 and W108 the kit No is 108 330 02 75 (new number for old 108 586 00 33)