Author Topic: Paintless ding repair  (Read 1998 times)

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
Paintless ding repair
« on: May 08, 2018, 13:54:51 »
Last week I had two dings repaired: one in the roof, the other one in the door. Very interesting technique: they set-up a heat gun about a foot away to soften the paint, then accessed the inside of the dent with a long tool: a rod with a handle and a curved, ball end shaped bar at the end. The handle can be rotated and then locked. The tool is inserted thru a convenient opening, in case of the door, between the glass and the skin using a small wedge to hold the access open. A light, about a foot long and 8 inches wide with three lamps is attached with a magnet and positioned conveniently. You can see very clearly the tool pushing on the dent from the inside. The dent is carefully pushed out until it is a little higher than the surrounding sheet metal. Sometimes a hole must be drilled for access for the tool such as under an installed light fixture. The hole is later closed with a plastic plug and never visible because the light fixture is covering it. By twisting the handle and resting the rod against some structure, good leverage can be had and it is easy to push the metal out. The metal of the body is very thin, I measured less than one millimeter, and very ductile. When there are no more hollow spots in the surface, a steel punch with an almost flat surface about the size of a quarter is used to hammer on the raised parts, but not by hammering with the punch, but by hitting the punch with a hammer or even only with the handle of a hammer, very carefully. It takes practice, but the light helps because by looking at the reflection, one can see even the slightest irregularity. In the end, the area is buffed using a disk grinder with a polishing wheel. The result is astounding: The dent has completely disappeared. It takes time and patience and to make a profit it must be quoted right: In my case the ding in the door was quoted at $375 and the one in the roof $400 and it took one man three hours for both. 
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

neelyrc

• Platinum
  • USA, AL, Birmingham
Re: Paintless ding repair
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 02:20:44 »
I was preparing to post today that a magician had visited my garage this morning. TheEngineer raised the subject before I got to it. 

In preparation for StarFest next week I had lined up a technician to attack a few long standing dents in my car.  I had been unable to get this scheduled before PUB Virginia last year.  I had a couple of dents in my hood, a couple on each door, a couple behind the B Pillar on the passenger side and a couple in the trunk lid.  Two were "outies" not dents.  The technician, Terry Trott, has been doing this work for over twenty years and I was amazed at the results of the exercise of his expertise.

Terry told me that the Mercedes cars from the period of our Pagodas have some of the best metal to work with whether aluminum or steel panels. The techniques were pretty much as described by TheEngineer however no heat gun was used as on TheEngineers car.

This is an extremely cost effective way to make some great improvements in your car.  I highly recommend it if you have access to a competent technician.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:22:31 by neelyrc »
Ralph

1969 280SL, 4 Speed Manual, Dark Olive (291H), Parchment Leather (256), Dark Green Soft Top (747)
1972 Mercedes-Benz 280SEL 4.5
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SL
2007 BMW 328xi (E90)
Italy
2004 Toyota HiLux D4D Pickup
2008 BMW 330xd Futura Coupe' (E92)

specracer

• Senior
  • USA, MA, Duxbury
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:10:53 »
Agreed! 2-3 moths ago had a similar experience. He even took a MAJOR dent in the door and made it much better (pressed in 2", metal stretched, and paint damaged, so my expectations were very low). The small dents just are gone. Its an amazing art, and money very well spent.

CCollum

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, OK, Oklahoma City
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 13:08:05 »
I just had numerous dents (most small, one larger) taken out as well. The outcome was excellent and beyond what I expected. Cost only $200 to boot. Well worth it.

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 20:47:30 »
I am very pleased to see that In Oklahoma the prices are still reasonable. Here in Seattle they are not. Not for anything. And forget about the workman to install the trim properly. You have to do that yourself. It is the "Not My Car" syndrome. So, how much does Starbucks charge for a cup of coffee in Oklahoma? Here it is over two dollars US
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

CCollum

• Inactive
  • Regular
  • USA, OK, Oklahoma City
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 21:28:50 »
An espresso at my local coffee shop is USD 3 -- met my wife there, so completely worth it! Our pricing here is all over the place. The ding repair may have been a deal even for here.