Author Topic: Replacing the gas tank 67 250SL  (Read 3150 times)

anubis

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Pleasanton
Replacing the gas tank 67 250SL
« on: April 17, 2013, 01:24:10 »
After (hate to admit it) leaving the car sitting far too long, I am in the process of revival and rejuvenation.
The gas tank is alread pulled, after seeing what was inside - rather than try and salvage it, I was just going
to get a new one. I would welcome any thoughts on where I might find one, and have it delivered to the
SF Bay Area.

Of the ones I have looked into, the most interesting is from K&K for their reproduction version. Seemingly good
product, and a good price from a quality source.
The only caveat with the repro (according to the nice lady at K&K) is that the filler neck might be a bit short,
compared to the original - and would require some fiddling around with installation and fit to make it set properly.
If anyone has purchased a K&K repro and can comment, I would welcome any information or detail on their experience.

Otherwise I am looking at several hundred $ more for a new original from Millers, Adsit, etc ...

While I am at it - is there a simple/straightforward way in which to find out if my injection pump is frozen ? Some way to
move the pistons manually, or test the internals without doing any (or any more) damage as a result of it's extended dormancy ?

I am draining/changing all fluids, changing all filters, plugs, etc ... and trying to follow the instructions I have read on starting a car
which has sat far too long. Lesson learned, believe me ...

Thanks, as always.

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
Re: Replacing the gas tank 67 250SL
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 04:44:45 »
Hello anubis,

Checking the free movement of the injection pump rack will tell you if the rack, or the pistons in the pump are stuck.  Access the rack under the cover on the front of the IP.

Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback

dasvinger

• Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Durham
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 01:14:20 »
For the fuel tank, I had good luck with my local MB Dealer.With MBCA club discount around $600 for OEM,ready to install with no fit issues. You might also check with Tom Hanson @ Classic Center in Irvine,CA and see what's available.

Fred Hayes
'67 250SL White/Blue/Bamboo int

MrAZ

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 18:20:16 »
I bought a new tank from Millers which was a Mercedes one with the factory labels on it.  The problem I found was that the neck was clocked 5/8 of an inch toward the drivers side.  The neck did not fit in the center of the hole through the body.  I cut the neck off 1.5 inches above the tank, turned it 5/8" toward the passenger side and welded it back on.  Everything is good now. 
If the rubber filler neck gasket that goes through the car body does not fit well, check the neck.  Although there is some adjustment in the elongated tank bolt holes, it is not enough.  Also consider trimming off the front square corners of the tank metal where the two halves are welded together so it clears your fuel pump and gas lines easier. 
I recommend a tank from the Classic Center while using the club discount.   

anubis

• Junior Level
  • USA, CA, Pleasanton
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 16:59:02 »
Thank you all for your info, greatly appreciated.

Joe - Thank you ... if you could post the photos we discussed (injection pump) and maybe what to look
for to determine if it's "frozen" (damn, I sure hope it isn't !!) that would be really helpful.

What an excellent forum, and I am grateful for our CONSIDERABLE base of knowledge !!

Bruce