Author Topic: replacing belts on m130 motor  (Read 4785 times)

rson

replacing belts on m130 motor
« on: June 08, 2012, 20:37:39 »
can anyone  tell me how to replace the belts on a m130 motor. My belts are showing wear and i need to get them switched out. Any help with the procedure would be greatly appreciated. The car is actually a 280se sedan but i was referred here by another mercedes forum.Thanks

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: replacing belts on m130 motor
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 21:44:46 »
You can use the search function to find some information about the belt changing. Not sure of the config on the SE, the power steering pump is the interesting one for the Pagoda. You have to either cut it off or wedge it partially off the pulley (after loosening the adjustment bolts) and the crank the engine by hand (or bump the starter, with the coil wire pulled out) to let the turning remove the belt. Then you should be able to pull the alternator belt reasonably easily. Of course A/C complicates this (my car,113,  is non A/C). The power steering belt goes on the same way you took it off, get it partially started and then turn the engine to slip it fully on. In any case, with the Pagoda it is tight quarters for access.

Others will chime in about the SE differences.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

rson

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 21:59:08 »
You can use the search function to find some information about the belt changing. Not sure of the config on the SE, the power steering pump is the interesting one for the Pagoda. You have to either cut it off or wedge it partially off the pulley (after loosening the adjustment bolts) and the crank the engine by hand (or bump the starter, with the coil wire pulled out) to let the turning remove the belt. Then you should be able to pull the alternator belt reasonably easily. Of course A/C complicates this (my car,113,  is non A/C). The power steering belt goes on the same way you took it off, get it partially started and then turn the engine to slip it fully on. In any case, with the Pagoda it is tight quarters for access.

Others will chime in about the SE differences.
Thanks for the reply jonny b. i tried the search but still came up short with a solution. Is there any way of locating the tensioner bolts for all the belts? My alternator belt shows the most wear and to get to that belt i need to take them all off. Let me know if i missing something here. Pictures and a some good instructions would help greatly. Jonny b thanks again.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 22:28:05 »
Try the search using "belt -seat", search only in the topic line, not the entire message, and should only get one page of hits. There are several there that type to the question about loosening the belts. tensioners, etc.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

ja17

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Blacklick
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:37:05 »
The belt arrangement on the sedan engine is a bit different from the SLs.  The single outermost belt on the sedan engine is the AC belt. The idler pulley for this belt is also the tensioner for it. Loosen the 19mm bolt behind the idler to remove the belt. The alternator belt may be a double belt or a single depending on the year. The upper support for the alternator (on the dual belt version) has a slip joint to allow for adjustment.The single belt version uses a tensioning rod and adjuster jamb nut arrangement.  The small PS belt is the same as the W113s. Loosen the two 17mm bolts behind the pulley, loosen onerear lower inside 9/16" bolt and use the two 10mm nuts on the  adjuster rod (lower outside) two move the ps pump inward.

Ask questions and keep us up to date.
Joe Alexander
Blacklick, Ohio
1969 Dark Olive 280SL
2002 ML55 AMG (tow vehicle)
2002 SLK32 AMG (350 hp)
1982 300TD Wagon turbo 4spd.
1963 404 Mercedes Unimog (Swedish Army)
1989 flu419 Mercedes Unimog (US Army)
1998 E430
1974 450SLC Rally
1965 220SE Finback