Author Topic: Resolved: Throttle linkage lubrication problem  (Read 3912 times)

gschober

Resolved: Throttle linkage lubrication problem
« on: May 02, 2009, 13:30:28 »
All,

I had my car in winter storage and after picking it up the throttle linkage needs some lubrication.
Since I am limited with my 2 car garage and current tool situation, I am wondering how easy it is to get to the linkage pivot in this picture: http://www.sl113.org/forums/uploaded/ja17/200611170552_block%20linkage%20lever.JPG?

Looks like this will be challenging without putting the car on a lift? I tried from above but no luck.
Any recommendations on what's necessary or which parts have to be removed?

Thanks,
Guenther
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 22:56:50 by gschober »

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
Re: Throttle linkage lubrication problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 14:46:40 »
Guenther,

with a little patience and flexibility this is not a bad job.
only do this when the car is stone cold...

what I do is remove the linkage going up to thru the intake.  clean and lube, reinstall last

then with a tool., typically a screw driver you can pop the long linkage off.
cleaning the ball is easy, if you want to clean the inside of the cup you will have to
get creative.

not sure if you want to remove the pivot itself,  getting the lock ring off and on will be tough
but it can be done.  remove the pivot, clean and lube and re install.

take your time ,  one tip is get an old towel or rag and lay it below the work area
if you drop anything it will fall into the towel and not drop to the floor maybe get lost.

Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

gschober

Re: Throttle linkage lubrication problem
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 15:20:46 »
Thanks Merrill,

Do you really get there from above?
I am pretty sure that the pivot itself is the culprit - the one that says "...may bind or seize during storage" in the picture.
I only checked inside the garage where the light is not that good but I didn't see a way to even get to this pivot with the WD40 extension tube leave alone with my hands or any tools.

Thanks again!
Guenther

gschober

Re: Resolved: Throttle linkage lubrication problem
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 23:04:16 »
All good!

I took the car outside and jacked it up (right front) to get to it from the wheel well (no way to do this from under the hood).
Had to remove the horn (amazing - this thing weighs at least 5 lbs.) but after that it was not too bad to get to the pivot and the linkage rods attached.
The pivot itself was OK, turned out that one of the ball joints was the problem.
Cleaned and lubricated everything now the whole thing is working perfectly   ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Guenther