Author Topic: Spring Cleaning  (Read 10496 times)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
Spring Cleaning
« on: March 31, 2010, 10:08:09 »
Hi Everybody:

In the Northern Hemisphere, Spring has sprung and for Pagoda owners this means there's work to be done.

Just before we hit the road for some serious drive time, a good idea to make sure the car is ready to roll.

Might be obvious to many but some of us need a reminder of what we can do to make our pride and joy safer and healthier.

Here's my Spring routine. Others can add more or correct errors here.

Lubricate: Get some White Lithium grease and dab or spry a bit on every articulating surface on the car...hood (UK Bonnet) and door hinges (top and bottom), antenna, Carefully lift up the round rubber cover on the left side of the firewall (a dry cover can tear) then grease the moving parts of the cable under the cover...maybe a dab on the ends of the cable release for the hood and the soft top...the soft top frame may need some attention.

Now take a Philips head screw driver and start at the front of the car and give a slight turn to every screw you see (except the adjusting screws)...including the grill cover, headlight screw, hood latch, sensor boxes, washer pump, blower motor mount, hose clamps (and examine the hoses for cracks)...brackets, door parts, hood spring mounts, sun visors (not too tight), threshhold chrome. Each B pillar cap has a screw that can work loose. Examine the caps (pot metal can easily crack).

The thin chrome strips along the rear are held by screws under each strip. Check out the trunk lock, the trunk light (if you have one.)  Push the Rubber inserts into the upper molding along each side.

Make sure the rear lights are tight against the trunk wall. Tug each bumper part and hub cap to make sure all are OK. License plate screws tight and plates clean? Window stickers up to date and neat?

The wooden steering wheel may need a tightening with an Allen wrench. Make sure the parking brake moves and locks OK.

Good idea to empty the trunk and remove the spare. Check the spare for air...look under the trunk mat for rust and wet spots. Give the jack a once over and make sure it moves OK.

The engine area: give a push to all the spark plug connectors and distributor wires. Anti freeze is a rust inhibitor but can turn acid after a few years. Either change the water and anti freeze or test it with litmus paper, etc. Make sure it will protect properly for the next Winter in your area. If the water needs draining, be careful. Some of the radiator drain plugs have not been moved in many years. May be better to drain from a low hose than to force the drain plug. Check for water, oil leaks.

Interior: carpets up...look for rust, dirt.  Move the seats and the seat backs  Carefully move each of the heater leavers (may be best to turn the levers with the round part and not put too much pressure on the lever tab.)

Check the Air in the tires, glass in the treads, rotate, if that's your thing.

OK...on the road. Obvious but be aware of the suspension, the warning lights, the tach and speedo in parallel synch; Brakes not pulling; wheel stays centered. Blue or excessive grey smoke? Oil pressure near the top except at idle...idles maybe 800 to 1100?  

Test the window washer and fluid...does the Horn have the "European" double tone?

Put the insurance proof, registration,  bandaids, etc. into the glove box...flashlight and tools in the trunk...maps in the side pocket. Test the radio (and cassette player.)

Ready the sunglasses, white scarf, thin driving gloves, special shoes, and cap.

Boy, I'm tired...think I'll go back to bed.

Give me toot as you drive by.

Richard M, NYC
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:09:45 by 280SL71 »
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
Re: Spring Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:00:54 »
Here's my routine in Wisconsin...

Walk in garage, get in car, turn key, start, drive.  

Seems to work every time!  Already have put over 100 miles on her this spring.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 12:02:30 by thelews »
Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 13:20:45 »
I'm more with you John...

First things first--current registration tag on plate; registration in glovebox; and new insurance card.
If I tried to tighten all the screws, I'd end up finding some stripped in the thin aluminum bits.
I changed the oil before storage, won't need it again for 2250 miles.
The tank is full.
Litte dust or dirt, as she was put away clean and covered all winter.
I will check air pressure in tires.
I will charge the battery; will probably be a bit low, but sufficient for starting.
I'll check lube points during the season or when I hear some squeaks.
It had a full lube job last year.  Doesn't need another one.
Engine bay will get a detailing some time this season.  Getting a little dusty from highway miles.
Horn check--when I need it.

Otherwise, like you--turn the key, listen for fuel pump, start and go.  ;D
On my agenda for this weekend.  Supposed to be near 80 degrees!
Salt is mostly off the roads and if it isn't raining on Easter, it's coming home with me from up North. ;)
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

RickM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 15:25:34 »
I'm more with you John...

I will charge the battery; will probably be a bit low, but sufficient for starting.

I'm surprised you don't use a Battery Tender.

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 16:49:33 »
For years, my ritual was Hardtop off right around first day of Spring. But this year, it never made it on! I think Richard's ideas are all good -- not so much as a rite of passage for Spring but just something we should do periodically. Spring makes sense because the car has maybe sat for a while. Unlike Mike's or John's many of us with driver's do need to give it the once over on occasion. I usually have quick mist and rag in hand rather than a screwdriver but if I see a screw that needs a turn I go for it. I like the idea of some lube in the joints -- in fact I could use that myself!
James
63 230SL

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 17:40:03 »
I do all the necessary maintenance, just not before the first drive of spring.  More fun on great summer days with the garage open, breezes flowing through and the car on the lift.  Oil is changed before she's tucked away, tank is full with stabilizer and a battery tender is on over winter months.  I suppose I do need to put the top down once it's warm.  Then it's never up again until winter slumber.

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 19:03:11 »
I'm surprised you don't use a Battery Tender.

I have not been at my place of storage since 1-January.  I would never, not in a million years, ever leave anything plugged in that consumes power, and I don't really care how "reliable" or "proven" these things are.

I've gone about 5 years on my [mediocre] quality MB battery without much issue.  Just the thought or possibility of a fire caused by a battery tender in an unattended location scares me.  Most of these things may work well, but they are very low cost, questionable quality devices made out of far eastern parts.  Not for me.  You like them?  Enjoy.

It's different having them in an attended location--like your home garage where you can see it or check it daily.

Question: does YOUR "battery tender" have a UL and or CE rating?  My guess is probably not; I think only one of the many out there does.

What scares me is this: something physically plugged into a wall, and then something held onto the battery with clamps.  Either of those things can and do fall out, pop off, or can be damaged by surges, etc.  Add to that the "unattended for 3-4 months at a time" scenario, and you can see where I'm coming from.   Having had a battery fire once (lost a nice BMW), and a small house fire caused by heating tape on a pipe (landlord's house), I'll admit I'm a tough sell.  When you do NOT have one, there is zero possibility of anything going wrong with it. ;)

Just my opinion.  When my battery goes, I'll spend a few bucks and buy a new one.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 20:15:09 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 21:21:20 »
John, and anyone else for that matter,  

How do you get round the shrinkage of the top if you leave the top down for the summer.  I did that this year and then found it near impossible to get it back up after being down for five months.
Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 01:01:22 »
Michael, Mine is UL listed, has a fixed hook up with a 3 amp inline fuse.  I'm comfortable with its safety.

Garry, I don't know, I raise it, clamp the front to the windshield and then slam the rear.  It's taut, but is 35 years old.

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:40:26 »
Look in the Tech Manual under Tops....then Soft Top then scroll and read through the helpful text to the section about Stretching. Need a warm day and bit of pounding.

Just to mention: it might help with a shrunken top if the latch box on the back wall is moved up a bit. Loosen the 4 screws and the box can be moved up or down as needed.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:53:42 »
Michael, Mine is UL listed, has a fixed hook up with a 3 amp inline fuse.  I'm comfortable with its safety.

...AND your car(s) are in your garage and you see them daily.   Mine is 3 hours away in a remote area, completely unattended.  Big difference.  I've seen enough problems with electricity and electronics over the years with my work with computers and power supplies to have a healthy respect for it; the electrical fires I've seen and power supply issues I've dealt with have added a strong measure of caution to the respect.

There's probably, statistically, a .0001 chance anything will happen to your battery tenders.  There's a .000000 chance anything will happen to mine, which I don't own.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:43:36 »
...AND your car(s) are in your garage and you see them daily.  Mine is 3 hours away in a remote area, completely unattended.  Big difference.  I've seen enough problems with electricity and electronics over the years with my work with computers and power supplies to have a healthy respect for it; the electrical fires I've seen and power supply issues I've dealt with have added a strong measure of caution to the respect.

There's probably, statistically, a .0001 chance anything will happen to your battery tenders.  There's a .000000 chance anything will happen to mine, which I don't own.

I have no issue with your safety choice.  I was just letting you know mine was UL listed and that I use a fused fixed hook up, a couple of points you mentioned.  Mine being right outside the house does make a difference, although I go in the garage about once a week in winter, the vintage cars are in a separate garage.

There's all sorts of discussion regarding battery storage/life.  A safe solution for a remote location would be to remove the battery, take it to the local loacation and put it on a maintainer over the winter months.  That would assume the owner believes that the extra effort prolongs battery life.

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

tuultyme

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 22:10:34 »
When I had our boat I would remove the batteries (3), check the fluid, slowly charge them, store them in the basement, recharge in spring, install.  They lasted 13 years. The boat always was outside.   When I get home this weekend I need to deflate the tires, regrease the front, clean the white walls so I can meet up at Blackforest next weekend.   

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 02:27:47 »
Is there a Black Forest event? (Wisconsin USA for all of you around the world).
Last year was great and this year I would love to bring my car ... still a little risky, but what is life without a little risk ?

And back on topic, I have had GREAT results with a CTEK battery charger (I am not affiliated with CTEK in any way, except I bought one). I am not advocating leaving it plugged in .... I simply want to state mine has a "recondition" function which has brought back batteries which were on their last leg. Take it with a grain of salt. For me, it has worked out great.

Richard, thank you for all of the suggestions. Two days ago, I let pressure out of the tires, checked the oil, connected the battery, and started it up. Of course, I have tons to do on the car, but I have this problem ... When faced with time on my hands, and I have a choice of working on it or driving it .... I drive it. I should have never got it running.  ;D

Enjoy the Spring, those that can. And for those below the equator, you still have a little time left. And for the rest of you, that drive your cars all year round ..... I really have nothing to say to you. ::)
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

cynewan

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 03:54:52 »

yes. the blackforest event is 4/10/2010

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 14:05:10 »
Is there a Black Forest event? (Wisconsin USA for all of you around the world).
Last year was great and this year I would love to bring my car ... still a little risky, but what is life without a little risk ?

Yes, next SAT. 4/10, 10 AM, I believe.  I've mentioned it several times.  Call and let them know you're coming 414-228-4899

John - Wisconsin
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

johnshenry

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 14:39:30 »
On the topic of spring tune ups, lubes, I thought I would mention a great product I recently found from Kroil.  Been using their penetratin oil for many years.  Its call "Dryphyte" (I think that is the spelling).  Its and aerosol graphite spray that comes out of the can with a liquid solvent that quickly dries. It coats things, but stays dry and does not collect dust and dirt.  I like it for the door hinges/stops, hood latches and stuff.  It does not look like wet grease and stays clean.

No, I'm not a seller, or tied to the company, but a long time vintage car nut who is seldom impressed and likes to pass on info about good stuff when I find it.  You can order it online, search "Kroil".

Thanks for the tips list Richard.  Although I have our new 280 out and about I will be putting it in my shop one weekend soon and will spend a whole day going over it before my wife and I take it up to VT for a long weekend in May.  I tend to be on that anal side of maintenance too!