Author Topic: Steering Wheel Color  (Read 3556 times)

Rolf

Steering Wheel Color
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:39:04 »
I have read past posts about the color of steering wheels. I saw where the black ones aren't really black but are dunkelgraphitgrau (dark graphite gray). does anyone know the code of this color?

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: Steering Wheel Color
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 17:03:50 »
dunkelgraphitgrau (dark graphite gray). does anyone know the code of this color?

Hello Rolf,

I think there is none (specific).  ;)
The steering wheels were made of bakelite and immediately stained during the manufacture of this thermosetting phenol formaldehyde resin. They were not painted and as such, an official color code does not exist.

I would not "respray" a "black (dark graphite grey) one. Try to find a better one; they are around. Much easier to come by than the ivory colored ones.  ;)

Otherwise, look for a hidden section of your steering wheel where the color tone is mostly virgin.
A good paint shop should be able to match that color tone.

Good luck

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

Rolf

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 20:25:11 »
Hello Achim,

Thank you for your reply. The steering wheel is presently ivory. The person redoing my car said he could do the color dark graphite gray as the steering wheel needs to be repaired. He has done wheels before, not our cars though, and has changed the color of them and said there would be no problem with mine.

dtuttle123

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 21:36:37 »
Rolf -

How about:  Sell the ivory one and get big $$$'s, and then buy a black one.  You'll come out ahead!   Just a thought. 8)

Rolf

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 23:16:09 »
Good thought  ;) ;)

dseretakis

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 22:23:30 »
Rolf -

How about:  Sell the ivory one and get big $$$'s, and then buy a black one.  You'll come out ahead!   Just a thought. 8)

Is a cracked ivory wheel really worth that much?