Author Topic: ignition light filter issue in central instrument cluster  (Read 1038 times)

rfritz

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Bethesda
ignition light filter issue in central instrument cluster
« on: January 08, 2024, 21:14:29 »
on my '66 230SL, in the top right of the central instrument cluster, the indicator light for the ignition function lites, but the red filter which is supposed to cover the whole small window has moved downwards so that it now only coves half of that little window.  As a result, when I turn on the ignition, that little window is half red, and half white (since the ignition light bulb is white).
An annoyance factor, and something I would like to fix.  Has anyone opened this part of the central instrument to give advice on how to solve this?  I have had the instrument cluster out and have separated the front from the back (to put in LED lights - but not into the ignition light per advice on this forum - thanks!).  But where to go from there?
Thanks. Bob
Robert Fritz

'66 230SL

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
Re: ignition light filter issue in central instrument cluster
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 21:42:26 »
Bob,

Welcome to the Group!  Nice first post, but you've posted your question under the sub forum "About this site: Questions and tips on how to use this website most effectively".  There is a sub forum for "Electrical and Instruments: Technical Section and how to on all matters electrical, and on instruments and dashboard".  I'll ask the moderator to move your post there.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

rfritz

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Bethesda
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 22:56:53 »
Apologies!  Thanks for getting it moved. Bob
Robert Fritz

'66 230SL

Leester

• Silver
  • USA, VA, Lorton
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 00:48:16 »
If you know how to get the cluster out and have done so, that's the hard part. I think that with the bulb unit separated from the body, you should be able to grab the filter with a tweezers or similar and relocate it. If that doesn't work, I'm sure that red filter material is available (crafts store?, amazon?) and just cut a piece and install with a dab of adhesive.
Lee Backus
1963 220SE Cabriolet
1970 280SL (reassembling - hopefully soon)
1978 450SL (disassembled for paint)
1985 500SEC

rfritz

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Bethesda
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 18:10:13 »
Thanks!  At the moment the cluster instrument is installed - I am waiting on a few parts before taking it out again (like the rubber underlay between instrument and dash that I did not know this car used until I saw it in a parts catalogue - after I put the instruments with the new LED lights back in).  Once that arrives in a few days I will go back at the ignition light filter issue and let you know how it goes. 
Robert Fritz

'66 230SL

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 18:48:28 »
A word of caution on pulling out the center cluster. Be very careful with the temperature gauge. It is a closed system from the gauge to the block filled with gas. If you nick it or scar it - repair time.

The oil gauge is also a mechanical gauge, but not a closed system. There is a small tube that runs from the gauge to the block connection. If you fully pull out the cluster, which I believe you will need to do to fix the red light, then the oil line will need to be disconnected. AND reconnected!
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

rfritz

• Junior Level
  • USA, MD, Bethesda
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 23:33:36 »
Instrument rubber rings arrived today, so I am back in the instrument cluster to install those, and to fix the ignition light filter.  Center cluster is removed - as far as the temp gauge cable allow.  Which is not far enough to get straight access to the ignition light shaft.  Attached a picture.  Seems to me that the temp gauge cable has to be disconnected, or extended/pulled through from the fire wall.  There are two small screws either side of where the cable connects to the housing.  But before I removed those (heeding the "closed system" warning!) I think I want to ask this group first.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.
Robert Fritz

'66 230SL

BobH

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, MALDON
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 08:13:40 »
Hello, you're right to ask before removing those screws, don't touch them.  The whole gauge needs to be removed otherwise, as you say the gas will escape

Have a look on here for instructions

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/Temperature
February 1965 230SL Automatic
UK delivered RHD
Papyrus white, blue hard top & hub caps
Blue soft top
Blue leather