Author Topic: 1971 280SL Project Car for Sale  (Read 925 times)

Howard Long

• Regular
  • USA, GA, Woodstock, Georgia
1971 280SL Project Car for Sale
« on: April 03, 2024, 19:37:19 »
Dear Friends,
Modified

SOLD

The time has come to pass my 280SL project to the next caretaker.  The VIN shows that this car was manufactured in September 1969 but is was not titled by the dealership until 1971.  This is a 4-speed manual car in Tunis Beige that I purchased in 2001 with about 155,000 miles.  At some time before I came along, it had received a new paint job and new leather seats. This is a complete car where everything worked, with both the hard top and convertible top.  There are no indications of any previous accidents, that I have found.  All the stainless steel trim is in good condition and the most obvious defects were that the plastic ring of one headlight has broken and the bumpers need to be re-chromed. This was a reliable car and a real joy for the many events that I attended with it.

What most could not see and I did not fully understand is that there was considerable rust damage to the floor panels and lower structure.  I drove the car for about 13 years before I decided that the rust problems had to be addressed.  As most of you know, rust problems on these cars are always worse than what you can see until you open it up.  Then it was clear that this car needed a full restoration.

In 2014 I purchased a rotisserie, made custom mounts for a W113 and started the project.  I invested in over $4500 in new sheet metal from K & K Manufacturing.  I believe that now 80 to 85% of the metal work has been completed.  Each area with any rust damage was removed and replaced including the frame structure under the doors and all of the floor panels.  As I disassembled the car each piece that I removed was sandblasted and painted, including all parts of the front suspension and the rear axle.  As the metal work progressed, each piece was prepared with weld-thru primer and all internal voids were treated with Eastwood Internal Frame Coating.

In preparation for starting reassembly, I have purchased many additional parts including:
-  A complete rebuilt engine
-  a 3.27 ratio rear axle, I will include the original 4.09 rear axle
-  All new components to rebuild the front suspension
-  A complete new stainless steel exhaust system
-  Tachometer and speedometer and other instruments were restored
-  A new fuel quantity sending unit
-  New brake calipers, disks, pads and brake lines
-  New shock absorbers

This project stalled when my late wife became ill and I was just never able to get started again.  I am now 82 and have had to realize that I will not finish this project.

I want all the tools that I have acquired for this project to go with the car including:
-  The rotisserie with custom mounts for the W113 body
-  An engine mount
-  An Eastwood 200 amp MIG Welder
-  A 2 ton cherry picker engine hoist
-  A bench mounted drill press
-  A sandblasting cabinet
-  A large pressure sandblaster with personal protection equipment
-  A Steel cutting chop saw
-  Sheet metal tools, metal shear, break, shrinker and stretcher

I know that i have over $25,000 involved with this project to this point.  I will offer this entire project for $15,000 or best offer.

I live in the Atlanta, GA area.  Please contact me at 770-401-6677 or howard.long@ymail.com
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 23:47:24 by Howard Long »

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
Re: 1971 280SL Project Car for Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 04:46:46 »
This is an outstanding opportunity for anyone looking for a Pagoda they can finish themselves.
If I did not already have 3 projects in-progress I would certainly buy it.
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

rwmastel

• Platinum
  • USA, OH, Canal Winchester
  • Pagoda SL Group: 20+ years and going strong!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 05:02:43 »
My neighbor is currently building a detached garage because he's nearing retirement and wants to have a hobby car to work on.  I forwarded this link.  By his response, I don't think he cares much for foreign cars.

This does seem like a bargain.
Rodd

Did you search the forum before asking?
2017 C43 AMG
2006 Wrangler Rubicon
1966 230SL

Davek1

• Regular
  • United Kingdom, England, Wells
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 17:19:58 »
What a great project and priced really fairly. Just wish I lived in the US.

swood1

• Senior
  • United Kingdom, England, Worcester
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 09:41:15 »
Really interesting opportunity.  If I wasnt already knee deep in a restoration already I would be buying this one.

Good luck

Regards

Steven
250 SL (early), in bits. Triumph TR4a

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2024, 07:05:51 »
 Agreat opportunity for someone.

mgmoore

• Associate Member
  • Junior Level
  • United Kingdom, England, cheltenham
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 14:56:19 »
Hi Howard,

A great project for someone out there. In my opinion the car is worth a lot more than the price you're asking.  If you placed the car on Bringatrailer.com with a ton of photos i think you will get an excellent response and a really good price.

Good luck with the sale.

Mathew