Author Topic: VERY slow starter - anything other than battery??  (Read 13556 times)

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: VERY slow starter - anything other than battery??
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 14:54:12 »
Hey Roger, no use for the old starter but what would be great is if you can share where you found the new starter, what P/N, and a ballpark price. I would imagine I might need one someday as mine is almost 50! And if you are really feeling frisky -- how about a how-to change the starter wiki. Did you so the work yourself? Just curious.

Enjoy the Spring -- maybe a SF gathering this year?
James
63 230SL

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2011, 13:37:04 »
Well, I guess I will go open kimono....  I actually had a spare starter from when I transplanted a 250SE engine into my 230SL.  It had the same configuration as the 'new' 280 starter - larger than the 230 starter with the through hole on the bottom.  I can't remember the specific pn, but given my web research it seemed that Mercedes had a fairly common starter across the fleet, and that the part number rolled often.  I was working off the Bosch pn  on the starter, since I could not find a Mercedes pn - maybe that was on the paper labels on the starter that were no longer even close to readable. That starter had been sitting up in the loft for the last 12 years or so, and I am finally going to get some use out of it!!

I did do research into a new (actually Bosch rebuilt) starter, and was going to go with Autohaus AZ.  They have a good price, and I have successfully dealt with them for several years on parts for the 3 cars in the family.  If this 'free' replacement starter has no longevity, I will go with the Autohaus alternative.  Since I am working now on my missfire problem, I have not really had an opportunity to get it out for a drive.  Waiting for a new dist cap and rotor, and then if no joy a new Pertronix......

Thanks -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)

rogerh113

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Los Altos, Ca
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2011, 13:41:17 »
Oooooops,

Forgot - a local pagoda gathering would be great fun!!  Hasn't happened for several years now, but the time we got about 18 cars out at Canada College and went for a drive.  What great fun and a stunning sight!!!  One guy walked up, and decided on the spot that he absolutely had to get a 113 - he was floored by the beauty of the car.  Can't fault his taste.

Probably just need an organizer......

Regards -- Roger
1966 230SL black 4 speed (250 low compression engine)