Author Topic: fan from heater blower broken  (Read 8756 times)

pdc

• Senior
  • Belgium, West-Vlaanderen, Koksijde
fan from heater blower broken
« on: February 09, 2015, 13:37:32 »
Today I dropped one of the fans of the heater blower and fragile as it is , it broke.... :( >:(  :-[
Looked at SLS where I usually buy parts but nothing there.

I wonder what my options are, are these fan's individually for sale somewhere, anyone any suggestions?

thx

Pascal
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

RonB

• Inactive
  • Senior
  • USA, MN, Cottage Grove
Re: fan from heater blower broken
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:50:15 »
I have found Sam with a lot of parts - he is a dis mantler of early MB

Address:
Euro Cars
4707 Gordon Ave,
Monon Wisconsin 53716 USA
Phone  is 608 221 4701.
He might have a whole blower assembly. It might be nearly impossible to obtain just the fan.

Good Luck
Previously FULL Member twice with over 500 post

71 280SL - SOLD on BAT
97 E420      SOLD
85 300D      SOLD
85 R107 380SL
07 Volvo S60

WRe

• Platinum
  • Germany, Hessen, Seeheim-Jugenheim
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 06:06:37 »
Hi,
Fasco also produces blower wheels, maybe you can find something there.
...WRe

jpinet

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 17:12:48 »
Try Gernlod at SL Tech. He has an amazing stock of used parts.

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 15:14:35 »
Thank you,

It's probably going to be difficult but If I can find the original fan I'll buy it. However an entire blower unit I will not purchase, am restoring mine and the price seems to go from 500$ till over 1250 €.

I played already with the idea of looking for 2 blower wheels; I assume I'll need to replace the other to have all in balance ? The fasco is a welcome source to look into. Needs to fit on the shaft of the motor, diameter and width of the wheels in the housing and it's all tight. I assume it should be very similar dimensions so that they blow as efficient as the originals. Since I am not in a rush I'll take my time to study this.

Will keep you posted and post a picture once my entire blower is restored. The heater core is already nicely restored and mounted back in the car.

And that I was going to replace my levers....  didn't expected I would get that deep, my entire under dash has been dismantled by now.

Here is my under the dash story so far http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=19177.0

I like to get it right and have everything to function well . It's actually fun and I'm learning a lot about the car what is great. I'll appreciate it even more when driving it again this summer.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 15:24:55 by pdc »
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 22:13:32 »
I wouldn't buy a complete unit either.
The prices are  ridiculous... I have seen them cheaper but there's one on e bay at the moment for $240 US dollars .
What .. Euro 160 , item number 301520636005
Wait 4 days till he can't sell it and message him an offer of  $150 .. €90 .
Chances are he will go for it ,
Good luck.... If I had one I would give you it for the price of the postage ..
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 22:48:14 »
Pascal, can you see the blower once it is installed?  I replaced the one in my air conditioner with one made by Spal.  It was less expensive and works very well as well as being less noisy.  Do a search here for Spal blowers. 

Dave, at today's exchange rate, $240 equals about €210. :D  But your point is taken.
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Dave H

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • United Kingdom, England, Durham
    • Dave H
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 23:03:02 »
Sorry ray...your right , I'm on my second bottle of wine , it is Friday night after all  !
Mercedes 250SL    1967
Mercedes 250SLK  2014
Alfa Romeo 166 3.2 Ti
Fiat 500

jpinet

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:41:19 »
If it were mine, I'd glue/epoxy the parts back together and then try it to see if it's balanced.

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 15:51:52 »
JPinet, I had gluing it together with epoxy in mind but there is like 5 pieces to glue and a tiny 4 x 3 mm on the edge is missing. Not sure I'll get it balanced enough , never the less it's worth trying.
Another concern is how solid is this approach ,  I rather not have to take it apart again .

Dave, good idea, 250 is the minimum bidding price I see, something that is till to much in my situation since I only need one of the wheels. And I see the seller is in the US, I can imagine there will be another 100 if not higher for shipping. I would offer 150 like you said, that seems a fair price and I'll wait a few days. The original wheel is my preferred option for sure. If the motor and the other wheel is still good it may serve for someone else, even the housing or the plastics sides.

Raymond, your right about that one, installing a full new blower unit from Spal seems at first sight a good alternative. I just wonder how it will need to be modified to mount it in the car, how the openings will fit the openings of the vent box? I would need to study this more and unfortunate there is only one picture available and no technical information or dimensions.
https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/product/0188/products/centrifugal-blowers/double-wheel/30000463/008-a45-02-ra3vcv-dual-wheel-12v.aspx .

WRe mentioned that Fasco is a supplier of blower wheels, I start to think I need to look at this more closely, hopefully there is more details available. Some seem to be priced around 25 $ a piece , if I can find the right boar and wheel diameter and right width I am all set I think. I see there is so many variants available and realize this might be the place to look for first.

Plenty of options ...

I appreciate all your input  

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 16:05:39 by pdc »
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 15:33:43 »
Today I got a full heather blower unit that enochbel shipped me. He has been very kind and offered me to test it before I pay. At any case working unit or not I am sending him his funds. I thought that was very remarkable and generous for doing that from him.

I immediately unpacked the unit and to my surprise I noticed that the wheels from his unit are from metal while mine where bakelite. If I drop those they won't brake into pieces.

I have now a positive dilemma, do I mount enohbels complete unit or mine with his wheels. But that is as I said a positive one so nothing to be worried about.

My injection pump is also revised and should be mounted during the weekend. Can't wait to drive her again because the weather is getting better here now.

For those who are interested I will post a picture of the my wheel and the one I got from Enochbel. I wonder what models had a metal and a bakelite version of the wheels in the heather blower. Mine is a late 250.

Thank you Greg !

late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

alchemist

• Senior
  • USA, NY, GRAND ISLAND
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 02:20:36 »
I have a 1967 230 SL and the blower has metal wheels. If I were you, I would install the one has metal wheels because of the physical strength. Good Luck.

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:04:08 »
zalsaigh,

I have no choice to use the metal ones because one of the Bakelite broke. I am sandblasting the housing now and will put the metal wheels in. Good to know that the metal ones are from the 230 series and since mine is a late 250 I think from here on the Bakelite has been used. I must say that I like the those a lot more than the metal wheels, much nicer looking but fragile. Another difference between a 230 and 280 I discovered this way. Not that it matters because is not visible at all unless you open up your dash.

Makes me think that I like the 230 a lot more than the 280's, aesthetically at least. Don't like the headrests braking the fluid line when it's open. Anyway I am getting of topic here  :)
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 15:11:51 »
I'm finally done with my heater core, heather blower and heather lever project.

Core, tested and mounting plates soldered and repainted, replaced o-ring
Heather blower completely renovated, sandblast the shell, cleaned and test the motor, replaced the wheels, replaced the foam
Air distribution box, replaced the cable and all foam
heather levers , in and out and replaced some cables that were bent.

All works fine and smooth, read no vibrations , mounting back took me a good full day, dismantling was pretty easy and the preparations if all pieces took most of the time

I'll post some pictures in several messages since we're limited to upload 5 per post

And a genuine special thanks to member enchobel for providing me his spare heater core at a friendly price so that I could use the wheels to replace mine.

Would anyone ever need a original working motor, the blower unit shell or one Bakelite wheel, let me know.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 15:27:10 by pdc »
late 67  250SL
4 speed manual
Euro version
Pascal

pdc

• Senior
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 15:23:24 »
heatercore before and after
late 67  250SL