Author Topic: Crane ignition problems - Help please !  (Read 2792 times)

kbudd

Crane ignition problems - Help please !
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:06 »
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Last weekend my 1970 280sl died at a stoplight. I could start it if I gave it full throttle and kept the revs above 2000. If I let off the throttle it died immediately. I towed it home and the next day it started right up and ran fine cold but after warming up it exhibited the same symptoms. After reading some posts on the forum it sounded like weak spark from a bad ignition transistor unit. I thought this would be a perfect time to install the crane ignition I bought last year. Following the instructions I removed the old unit, removed the 0.4 ohm resister and the transistor unit and wired it up. I have no power to the 0.6 ohm ballas resistor with the ignition on. I cannot find a bad fuse. Going back to the terminal block next to the where the transistor unit was I have no power either. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out why. Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
Kevin

kbudd

Re: Crane ignition problems - Help please !
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 22:58:56 »
Never mind. I found the problem. The mechanic (me ) is a color blind moron. Now on to the timing.