Author Topic: Brake and Clutch Pedal Pads - 230 SL  (Read 4682 times)

rjmarco

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Alamo
Brake and Clutch Pedal Pads - 230 SL
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:35:05 »
I recently received replacement pedal pads that match the MBZ part number.  They look reasonably close to what's on my 1965 230 SL but I am having a heck of a time getting on the pedals.  Anyone have the same issue and are there any solutions other than brute force?
Rich
Alamo, CA

280SE Guy

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • USA, PA, Birdsboro
    • some pics
Re: Brake and Clutch Pedal Pads - 230 SL
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 17:06:11 »
Try heating the pads before installation to "soften" the rubber. A hair dryer would work or set them in the sun until they warm up and become softer and more pliable.

If your pads have the extra material on the right side of the pad you can trim it off by using a sharp serrated bread knife to make them look like the originals (don't tell your wife what you did).

Regards,

280SE Guy
1971 280SE, 6 Cyl MFI, Anthracite Grey with Grey MB Tex

bneville

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 17:21:45 »
I had the same problem and posted it as you have.  I spent hours trying to get them on. After posting my problem I received the response that was so simple.  Soak them in hot water. They then become pliable.  Slip on while hot, it will take only a few seconds. Good luck ,

w113dude

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 17:33:16 »
I agree hot water works every time, infact the hot water trick works with all rubber parts.

rjmarco

• Senior
  • USA, CA, Alamo
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 18:32:10 »
It took some doing, but I finally got my clutch and brake pads placed on the pedals.  The hot water treatment made the difference.  I soaked them for about five minutes in near boiling water. 

They still required some work to dog them in and get them over the pedals.  I used a paint can lid opener to get under the rubber lips to assist in pulling them over the pedal edge.

I now have a good sized blister on my thumb, but at least the pads are now on with reasonable fits. 

Thanks!

Rich
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 00:34:22 by rjmarco »
Rich
Alamo, CA

FRITZ68

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 05:11:21 »
I received my new replacement brake and clutch pedal pads, and they are very much smaller in size than the originals.  See attached picture. I have a 1968 Midel 280SL and after much stuggling we were FINALlY able to get the pads on that car, but my 1962 Model 220 SEb is another story, as the metal part seems larger than the 280 (although not actually measured). I will try the boiling water trick when I get it home, as car is at work this week and next.

Also what is the purpose of the large rubber boot on the side of each replacement pad?  This was not on the originals.  I am thinking that i should cut these off to help in the installation.

Fritz

Flyair

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Warsaw
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 08:44:50 »
Regarding that very issue which seems to occur more often than expected, once I saw on another forum that one of the suggested (tried?) solution was to use lubricant, normally used in more intimate situations.

I have no idea whether it worked or no, but I would not go to my wife neither to announce my innovative use of it... ;)   

Warm water seems like a more socially acceptable way, especially that some like it hot!
Stan
1971 280SL
2011 SL550 AMG
2011 GL
2015 GLA

stickandrudderman

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Richmond
    • http://www.colinferns.com
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:46 »
The lip on the underside of the brake pedal is to prevent your right (accelarator) foot from drifting under the brake pedal.