Author Topic: Heater lever cable - new style coiled on end ?  (Read 3467 times)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Heater lever cable - new style coiled on end ?
« on: November 19, 2010, 17:07:04 »
I received a new cable for my heater lever (fresh air flap actually) and the one end is coiled.  The coiled end fits nicely over the bolt that the original cable goes through, although there is not much room for a washer and nut.  Is this an improved cable or should I just cut the coiled end off and use it the same way it was before - through the hole in the bolt?  Any help is appreciated.

Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

Bernd

Re: Heater lever cable - new style coiled on end ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 23:00:56 »
the two cables to the air flaps are coiled where they attach to the posts on the flaps. If i am not completely mistaken the other two are bent at right angles (the ones to the air intake and the heater unit) at one end....the side to the control levers is always straight so you can feed the cables into those bolts.

I think you are feeding the cable through from the wrong side...start outside and work them in towards the dash

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 16:35:05 »
Yes -  I am replacing the fresh air flap cable, it is bent at a right angle where it attached to the flap in the cowl.  As long as the cable is long enough, I'm just going to cut the coiled end off and make a 90 degree bend.  just wanted to make sure the coil wasn't supposed to go over the bolt on the lever...  thanks
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 18:56:38 »
Think twice before you cut and try to bend!   :o
Bernd got it right, the coiled ends go over stubs on the flaps and are secured with C-clips. The cable with the 90 degree bent is the shortest and straight on the other end.
Looks like you received the wrong cable.
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)