Author Topic: Flasher/Blinker rate adjustment??  (Read 2671 times)

ctm14

Flasher/Blinker rate adjustment??
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:17:13 »
   I recently replaced the reflectors in my euro headlights and upgraded the bulbs with the help of Daniel Stern. Lights look great and just a bit brighter all around. I did run into one problem with the turn indicators. My car is an Italian model and the turn indicators were white in Italy prior to 1971 so I don't have the amber inserts. I wanted to keep the correct look so asked Daniel for a recommendation on a silvered bulb that flashes amber. He recommended Sylvania Silverstars and I was able to track down a pair through eBay.  

To the point these bulbs are 21 watts and my research on the forum shows that the increased wattage slows the blink rate.  I am seeing just this issue after installation. Reading all the threads I discovered one comment by "Markus" stating that the rate of flash can be adjusted with a small screw driver through a hole in the flasher relay. Having replaced this relay a while back I recall it is very difficult to remove so wanted to ask if anyone has tried this adjustment before I remove my relay.

Thanks
Chris

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
Re: Flasher/Blinker rate adjustment??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:18 »
The flasher relay works through heat expanding a contact, and cooling down. See http://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/FlasherRelay. I am not sure a screw can change the rate of that happening... Perhaps by bending the contact closer to the other contact?
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!