Author Topic: Pagoda Style Book Delivered!  (Read 34677 times)

Martijn

• Regular
  • Netherlands, Utrecht, Mijdrecht
Re: Pagoda Style Book Delivered!
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 19:16:23 »
Michael,

Today the undamaged package has arrived. I have just unpacked it and the books are in perfect condition. Earlier you had sent some pictures of the book, but the real thing is beyond my expectations. Fantastic!
This weekend I only will be reading and looking at these beautiful pictures.

You have done a great job. I am thankful that I could be part of it.

Martijn
Martijn

1967 250 SL - 4-speed manual - dark blue 332

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton and Brisbane Queensland
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 00:44:03 »
Michael,

The books arrived safe and sound.  I can only concur with everyones comments so far and add that the book far exceeds my expectations and the draft that I saw at PUB.

An outstanding effort on your part and well worth the wait..

Thank you.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2012, 01:12:41 »
YEAH!  There is hope in this world...I was beginning to wonder about you guys down under...now if I can figure out what happened to my friends in Canada, I'll be a happy camper!!!

Also just got a phone call (on my answering machine sadly, I was not in this morning 2/4/12) from Paul Bracq and he received his copies.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 19:17:47 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 14:50:14 »
Paul Bracq received his books on Friday, and his consensus is in line with the general commentary here.  He particularly enjoyed the use of his painting as the mosaic on the dust jacket.  Once most everyone gets their books, I'll do a "legend" so people can find their photos in the mosaic.

Book is scheduled to be reviewed in the upcoming Star; and in the June issue of Hemmings Sports & Exotic.

I have an inquiry out to the shipper about the Canadian packages...apparently this is a KNOWN PROBLEM and has to do with Canada Post delivering or delaying foreign standard mail.  The complaints are many, but they should be directed to your Canadian Postal Service who has the packages but is choosing NOT to deliver them.  They are OUT of the USA, and in the hands of Canada Post.  I should note that last summer, the US Post Office was not even accepting ANY mail into Canada when there was some kind of labor dispute that was delaying mail.  Beyond that, I just hope they they will deliver the packages shortly.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 15:29:41 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

douglas dees

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 19:23:46 »
Michael: My normal mail l delivery from the US is 2 1/2 weeks but from England or Germany it is 5 days. I am not concerned as there are beauracratic diffrences between the US Post and Canada Post. Everything is duplicated because nobody can agree on a common procedure. The new border agreement between Obama and our idiot Prime Minister " Stephen Harpo" was recently signed but will be implemented over the next few years. It was supposed to eliminate these custom problems.
Not your fault
Doug Dees

douglas dees

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 20:16:35 »
Hurrah: The bag arrive this afternoon with the 2 books just as I was about to  nap prior to my flyfishing club dinner tonight. The post man dumped it on the front steps and white US mail sack looked like it attended the Super Bowl as the football. but Michael's box inside was undamaged. The book is superb as expected. It was well worth the wait.
Milton was right in his poem " On his blindnes" when he said " He also serves those that stand and wait"

Michael:  Thankyou very much for your hard work. I will cancel my nap and read it by the fireplace while Maria practises the piano.
Now I can firm up my meeting with the new CEO of Mercedes-Benz Canada to deliver his copy.
Many Thanks
Doug Dees

treedoc

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:12 »
Michael,

Well done, our copies arrived today, I agree with other’s comments, but something puzzles me.
SWMBO never usually looks at car books but she spent a couple of hours this afternoon reading various sections and claims to want to go cover to cover, now that’s a big tick of approval.

Great to be able to put faces to some of the contributors to the forum.

Geoff Eldridge
Treedoc

RobMarks

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • Australia, NSW, Sydney
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 12:41:59 »
Absolutely Fantastic!  Some great photos in there.  And thanks again to Michael. Its an incredible effort.

Took me some time just to flick thru the pages  having a quick look.

I look forward to getting a quiet moment(or day) and reading thru our fellow member stories

cheers

rob
RobMarks

1966 230SL
1983 380SL
1989 190E Sportline Lorensir
1990 190E Sportline
1995 E280
2003 SL500

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2012, 13:14:40 »
Thank you again guys.  You are easy to please--after all, they are all your cars!  But really, I'm quite happy that the overall results and response has been positive.  John Bleimaier--the Essayist who wrote the "Let there be Sports Leicht" at the beginning, had this to say--

I personally believe in the concept of objective beauty. If beauty is exclusively in the eye of the beholder, and is thus purely subjective, why do we bother to train artists, or preserve great works in art museums? If beauty was just a matter of personal taste, then nothing would be ugly and aesthetics would be meaningless. While I recognize that we don’t always agree, I support Leonardo da Vinci’s credo that we are obliged to seek out the universal rules of beauty. He began his quest by studying the principles of balance and proportion. Leonardo would have loved the Mercedes-Benz 230SL.

Now, at last, the model 113, this consummate work of art and engineering, has inspired a book worthy of this exalted subject. MBCA member, Michael Salemi, has conceived, designed and edited a definitive work entitled, Pagoda Style. I am a bibliophile and an art collector. I have never seen a volume which blends text, illustration and photography to such a powerful effect. This tome is not merely about the art of design and engineering. It is a work of art in its own right. This is perhaps the first book to fully take advantage of cutting edge developments in digital imaging and lithography in order to create an integrated and completely satisfying bibliopegic creation.

Not only the devotees of the 113 model in its 230SL, 250SL and 280SL iterations must own this new book. Every aficionado of the motorcar and every bibliophile is obliged to acquire Pagoda Style for his or her library. Designed in the United States, printed and bound in Canada, this collectors’ edition at $75 a crack is an unexpected bargain.

High praise indeed, from a man who can easily take prose to lofty levels and never minces his words.  What makes me happiest, though, is my conversation with Paul Bracq yesterday.  After all, it's "his baby" so to speak, and would have every right to be the most critical.  He too, offered much praise and like a few others, was interestingly charmed by the cover mosaic.  Somehow in the back of my mind, I kind of forgot that Bracq and his wife dabble in tile mosaics from time to time.  Totally forgot that until yesterday, at least consciously.

And, I am VERY HAPPY that some of our Canadian friends, who by all rights should have been the first to get this book, are now finding it delivered.  I will sleep well tonight.  The book was printed in Canada for goodness sake, and it was a long route back home!!!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

douglas dees

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 16:00:26 »
Michael: My son Oliver received his book yesterday in Calgary too via pony express. His 3 year old daughter is happy to see her daddy's face in the book. This summer the Prinz Eugen will go it's home in Calgary permanently as it is his car.
 The car has made the trip from the factory in Germany to Turin Italy to California, to Toronto, back to California on Route 66 and now off to Calgary via the Trans Canada highway.
I call that reliability
Doug Dees :D

Bonnyboy

• Gold
  • Canada, BC, North Vancouver
  • 1969 280sl Euro 4sp LSD
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 19:06:05 »
Michael:  I received the book up here in North Vancouver today.  There is enough bubble wrap in there to releive my stress for many hours.   Not a scratch on the book - the package wasn't opened and the box looks like it received first class treatment all the way here. 

Wonderful book.  I think I had better book off the rest of the day and go read this piece of artwork.

Ian in North Vancouver

Ian
69 280SL
65 F-100
73 CB750K
75 MGB
78 FLH
82 CB750SC
83 VF 1100C
94 FLHTCU
08 NPS50
12 Pro 4X

douglas dees

« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 19:55:25 »
Michael: I filed a complaint with Canada Post by mail today. The Canada Post lady at the 1-800 number would not give me an e mail address to send the documents to. I copied our new Conservative emember of Parliament on the correspondence. I will probably not get a response.
Doug Dees >:(

hands_aus

• Platinum
  • Australia, Queensland, Brisbane
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 20:22:05 »
Hey Michael,
I picked the books up from the post office Friday Brisbane, Oz time.
They were safely packaged.

I think you have done an excellent job in their presentation.
Thanks you for all your efforts.

Whilst I have not read every profile yet, I definitely intend to do so.
It is more than a coffee table book, it is something to be read and savoured.
best wishes
Bob Smith (Brisbane,Australia)
RHD,1967 early 250 SL #114, auto, ps , 717,717
best of the best

louisz

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2012, 15:01:15 »
Michael,

Received the book here in Texas, very well packed.   Awesome job, very worth the money.

louis

Cees Klumper

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, De Luz and Los Angeles
    • http://SL113.org
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2012, 00:06:11 »
Thanks Michael ...

You have embodied the true spirit of the Pagoda Group. Here's to the next 10 years!
Cees Klumper
1969 Mercedes 280 SL automatic
1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8
1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Coupe 1600
1962 FIAT 1500S OSCA convertible
1972 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.3
1983 Porsche 944 2.5
1990 Ford Bronco II

230slhouston

« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:19 »
Received my book yesterday in Houston, TX. It is truly a gem. Thanks Michael.

DavidBrough

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2012, 12:22:25 »
Received my books today and they're excellent - well done Michael.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2012, 14:54:38 »
Received my books today and they're excellent - well done Michael.

Today?  Even the ones to Spain and the Czech Republic made it there quicker.  The ones to London were the very first to arrive...anyway, happy they are safe and sound.  Must be a longer drive up the M1 than I thought... ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2012, 19:56:14 »
Today, 5 books were shipped out: 2 to Denmark, 2 to France, and 1 to NY City.  Last week, 2 went to Mexico, and 1 to Japan.  The book is being looked at all over--some lurkers here, and "tangled webs" of connections...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2012, 20:40:50 »
Today?  Even the ones to Spain and the Czech Republic made it there quicker.  The ones to London were the very first to arrive...anyway, happy they are safe and sound.  Must be a longer drive up the M1 than I thought... ;)

There's Watford and then there's back of beyond!

68 280SL

DavidBrough

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 15:00:24 »
But there are lots of border controls between Watford & Bedford although some still refer to them as road works, worth the wait though

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2012, 19:36:17 »
http://www.mercedesheritage.com/2012/book-review-pagoda-style/

Just reviewed in Roy Spencer's MercedesHeritage newsletter.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:08 »
That sums it up pretty well spot on :) :) :)
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

hoodude

• Inactive
  • Junior Level
  • USA, NC, Morganton
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2012, 02:57:03 »
Very well done. Congratulations.
Cheers,
RE

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2012, 14:56:57 »
I just received an order for a small quantity of books from the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart.  Mercedes-Benz Classic--the group overseeing the Museum, vintage cars, clubs, etc. was impressed enough to go through the extreme corporate gyrations necessary to order and stock the book at the Museum gift shop.  This is, a non-trivial task; get on the vendor list; they have to create a product number, etc. etc.

Yes, folks, I'm in the most unique subset of the Pagoda community...I'm selling to them! ;)
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid