Author Topic: Speedometer sticker  (Read 4180 times)

Steve.k

Speedometer sticker
« on: August 02, 2018, 17:02:49 »
I’ve got a US model car and here in Canada we use the metric system,  I bought one of those km/h sticker overlays for the speedometer.
I’ve read all the posts about removing the speedometer, I.e. remove tach, center gauges and then speedo, but my question is, is it possible to remove the glass from the front without having to remove everything?

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
Re: Speedometer sticker
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 17:22:47 »
Not possible, have to remove the speedo , then the chromering and glass, then the speedo needle.

Steve.k

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 17:43:57 »
I was afraid of that.  How is the trim ring removed?

mrfatboy

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, Rancho Santa Fe
    • Mrfatboy
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 18:47:14 »
The chrome ring can be removed by using a small flat screwdriver and very gently prising   it off.  Go slow and work your way around.  When I did it I had to prise more than half before it came off.

Putting it back on is reverse.  Slowly use screwdriver to push the ring tab back flat.  It will not be prefectly flat as before.  It will have little waves but they are not seen when the speedometer is back in. Remember to clean glass.

I bought a new faceplate (not a sticker).  However from what I understand it's not a dyi job.  I need to send it out because the whole mech needs to be pulled out and recalibrated at same time. I would double check if using the sticker method is same.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 22:37:55 by mrfatboy »
1969 280sl (Aug 1968 build)
Signal Red
4 Speed

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 19:35:46 »
You might consider buying a new faceplate instead of the sticker.....

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 19:41:15 »
Steve, not an easy job removing the chrome trim ring.  Very easy to mess it up and then you have a crappy looking ring.  I just kept my eyes open for a metric speedo and swapped the entire unit when I found one rather than mess around with the face and trim.  Not as cheap but you can sell the one you remove to help cover some the cost.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Steve.k

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 20:41:04 »
Hmmmm.   Maybe I can live with MPH. 

At least I’ve always got a handy excuse why I’m doing 60 mph in a 60 mph zone.   8)

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 22:35:28 »
You might consider buying a new faceplate instead of the sticker.....

I think new faceplate is much better solution than a sticker. You would just need to very carreful as the faceplate is held with a rivet-like collar in the middle that you have to undo and then re-do...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:17:11 »
Hmmmm.   Maybe I can live with MPH. 

At least I’ve always got a handy excuse why I’m doing 60 mph in a 60 mph zone.   8)

Don't you mean 60 MPH in a 60 KPH zone?  Funny thing is I never look at my speedometer and go by the tach RPM instead. Old speedometers are often wildly inaccurate. Add to that different tire sizes and different gear ratios and you never know how fast you're going. Your engine however, is always the same speed at 3,000 RPM. If you know what your road speed is at 3,000 RPM then you should be able to stay under or above that speed depending on the limit of the road you're on. Haven't had a ticket in 30 years. 
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 05:46:24 »
Steve I had the same thoughts with my US spec 280SL when it arrived in France 5 years ago. I also purchased the KMH sticker,
and then decided it wasn't worth the hassle to start removing dials, so I decided to live with MPH.

Best
Mike
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 11:07:09 »
Steve, replacing the faceplate and sending it out to a professional shop to do the work will probably cost as much as getting a replacement speedo.  Mind you, when you get it back it will look and operate as new since you might as well get them to clean the innards while its apart.

I changed mine because my car originally came with a metric speedo (other gauges are metric) but was changed when it was imported into the US.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Steve.k

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 11:58:49 »
Jordan, you’re probably right and if I do anything, it’ll probably be that option.  Maybe when it’s put away for the winter I’ll consider sending the speedo to Palo Alto, or just leave it be.   I grew up with the Imperial system and am used to making the mental conversions for the speeds/temperatures/distances.   
Thanks all for your opinions.  I’m glad I checked before opening the dash, buggering up the delicate bits and skinning my knuckles.   Sounds like a **** of a job.

cfm65@me.com

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • Mossel Bay, South Africa
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 13:21:30 »
Steve,
It is not such a big job. The BIG job is getting the instrument out and putting it back.
However, remember with a new KM face or sticker the ‘mile meter’ will still be in miles and not Kms travelled.
I have a Km face on my E Type and are appalled by the fuel milage until I remember to milage is still in miles.
Regards
Chris
28 Ford Model A Pickup
29 Chevy Phaeton
67 E Type FHC
67 250SL 5 speed
83 911SC
2015 VW T5 California Pop Top

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 16:20:27 »
Steve, you might want to also consider Seattle Speedometer (seattlespeedometer.com).  Buz Ras is the owner and does the work himself.  I've sent him a number of gauges from other cars and they always look and work great.  His turn around time is a bit quicker than Palo Alto as well, but you should probably contact them before you send to find out.  None of them are cheap since most of the work is time.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Steve.k

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 17:47:56 »
Thanks Marcus,  where are you in Ontario?

Mike K

• Inactive
  • Silver
  • South Africa, Gauteng, Johannesburg
    • Mike Kirkinis
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 18:05:21 »
Steve,
It is not such a big job. The BIG job is getting the instrument out and putting it back.
However, remember with a new KM face or sticker the ‘mile meter’ will still be in miles and not Kms travelled.
I have a Km face on my E Type and are appalled by the fuel milage until I remember to milage is still in miles.
Regards
Chris

Good point Chris. Reading your post, you've just woken me up to the fact that for the past 5 years I've been calculating consumption in kms per litre instead of miles per litre, given that my car still reads in miles..... ::)

Thanks & best
Mike
Feb. 1971 Mercedes 280SL Auto  LHD (Last of W113 Series)
Aug. 1989 Mercedes R107 300SL RHD (Last of R107 Series)
http://michali.zenfolio.com
http://www.lebombo-safaris.com

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 20:29:53 »
Thanks Marcus,  where are you in Ontario?

Just west of St. Catharines in Niagara.  If you are ever down this way give me a shout.
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 21:54:46 »
Hi Steve,

I have the same problem, however, I find that my Speedo is not excactley accurate either. Must be wear and tear on the gear system over the years. Anyway, I read my KM (when I go on a trip) to miles/hr for that matter when driving in the USA from my GPS.

In city traffic I just follow the cars and maintain the same speed.

I’ve seen Stickers one can stick over the Speedometer, I don’t want to do it since the car then would no longer be original hehehe right. :)

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 21:17:28 »
When I sent both of my instruments out to Palo Alto a few years back when my tacho was beginning to squeal intermittently, the speedo came back reading out the same speed that my Garmin was indicating.  It had been reading 3-4 mph under before.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)