W113 Pagoda SL Group > General Discussion

Restoration Difficulty Level

<< < (34/370) > >>

GGR:
Rubber parts are affected by age. So it is a good idea to replace them all while doing a full restoration like yours. Otherwise you may have to go back and replace them as they may wear rapidly when you start using the car. Additional work won't be worth the savings, especially for the ones which are hard to replace once it is all back in place like the rear end center boot for example. Old subframe mounts, even if they look good, may separate if you leave the car on a lift or stands with the front wheels hanging without supporting the subframe. For the easily accessible ones, I guess you can take a chance if they look good.

Try to replace with quality parts. Some aftermarket rubber parts are absolute crap. I had some bad experience with URO and I'm not the only one.

The w113 subframe mounts are quite expensive. The mount itself is the same as on the 108/109/111 chassis, so you can save quite a lot by reusing your stop plates and bolts.

andyburns:
Have been fitting up all the chrome this week working out what I need to have re-chromed.  Decided to pull apart both the door handles and have them done.  Quite a fiddly job that I know will take quite a while to put back together.  All in all most of my chrome is very good.   The bits I am having redone are actually quite good but have a few scratches here and there.  Funny the further through these restorations the fussier you get.  Sort of a snow ball effect!  Going to pick up my grill this afternoon.  They have now had it for over a month.  Will be very interesting to see how it turned out.  Will post some pics tonight for you all.

andyburns:
Went to the chrome platers this afternoon to pick up the grill, checked it before I walked out the door this time.  Strange marks on the the top lip that they cant explain.  They asked me to leave it with them to 'investigate'.  Frustrating!!!!!  Spent this morning in the bead blaster with my new rocker cover.  Showed up a couple of cracks which needed to be welded.  Back into the bead blaster tomorrow after the welds have been completed.  The rough cast rocker cover is worth the effort and will give the car the 'early' look.  Am interested to know if the smooth cover that came with the car is original or not.  Does anyone know when the rough cast covers were phased out?

andyburns:
Have been busy this week working on the brakes and power steering.  I have decided to just ignore the potential issues with the W108 power steering arm and just sort any consequences out if they ever occur.  I spent ages with a wire brush on the end of a drill taking all the power steer and brake components back to nice shiny steel.  The power components have been painted in the good old epoxy 2k primer while I got the brake components ceramic coated to handle the heat.  I don't know where it all goes but I have once again run out of epoxy primer and have had to acquire another 4 liters today meaning I have now sunk 12 liters into the car.  Probably quite a bit of waste due to the small batches I have been mixing up.  Quite often there is a little bit left over which just gets biffed.  Also picked up brand new engine mounts.  The one under the manifold in my opinion is very hard to get at and its simply not worth the risk of putting old rubber back in.

andyburns:
Has anyone encountered the part I have highlighted in the parts breakdown below.  When I stripped the sub frame two strange bolts were floating loose with the frame.  I have only just pieced it together and realized they are obviously some sort of engine mount fail safe.  The plate seems to sit inside the sub frame and is bolted to the underside of the engine mount?  Strange!  Would appreciate if someone could confirm.   I am deciding on if I should try and refit them.  They dont feature on the W108 which has identical mounts.  Any advice much appreciated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version