Author Topic: Simple bulb replacement?  (Read 4164 times)

hauser

Simple bulb replacement?
« on: August 16, 2008, 12:46:03 »
Could the designers of the Pagoda have made bulb changing any more difficult?

On a Euro setup you have five bulbs in the headlight and another five in the taillights.  If your right rear needs changing the spare tire has to be removed.  Don't we all just love moving that spare tire out of the trunk?

Of course you may want to go ahead and spruce things up such as cleaning the inside of the lenses and reflectors if so the lens will need to be removed.  Lens removal isn't as easy as it sounds.  If you're not careful there's a good chance the lens may break.  While removing the lens the inner seal may tear so they will have to be replaced.

What may look like a 30 minute job may go on for a week. It all hinges upon how soon the replacement parts arrive.  The parts that either get lost or damaged in the process of a simple bulb replacement.

tuultyme

Re: Simple bulb replacement?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:49:55 »
This is why I wait for most of my projects on my car for the winter months.  I don't want to get something started and not be able to get in a good drive as the season here in Chicago area is so short anyway.  If is doesn't effect the drivability (new spark plugs, etc) I put it on my to do list.  And than I have to find my to do list!

hauser

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 10:15:03 »
No snow here in Florida but we do get quite a bit of rain.  As it so happens I started this little project on a rainy weekend.  Hopefully I'll get it finished in the next couple days as spare parts arrive.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 10:15:38 by hauser »

Tobacco280SL

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 20:15:55 »
You all may be interested in considering LED's for the side marker, all the rear lights, trunk light and interior light as replacements that will be equally bright ( in some cases brighter) and last perhaps a lifetime due to the lower power drain.  I started doing this with two of my 50 and 60's vintage Porsches and liked it so well that I have used them for my 57 190SL and now my 280SL.  There are many choices and I have not been disappointed.  The link is: http://www.superbrightleds.com/carbulb-notes.htm
George
Clearwater, Fl

hauser

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 22:04:10 »
My lighting project is finished and there is a great improvement in the lighting especially with the halogens for the headlights.  

As for the LED bulbs, did you also use them for the turn signals?