Author Topic: USA headlight clip in for USA turnsignal assemblies and chrome bezel  (Read 2718 times)

Bob G

Dear. Guys
Can someone  pull their USA front  chrome bezel and turn signal assemblies. I need to know if there is a clip at the top that the turn signal & chrome bezel assembly lock into and support the assemblies to the fender. I know about the bottom bracket that the screw goes in to tighten the units.

I looked through the USA parts book on the 250SL &  280SL edition A...all I came up with is a #60 0n page 284 of a USA sealed beam holder It may have the notch for the clip on the turn signal assemblies. I like to make sure I am correct.

I plan to repaint the 280SL and go back to the USA the LE 1657 units that I have new. The Bosch European headlights do not put out enough light.
I would really appreciate a picture close  up so I know would to look for.  Please email a picture I can print out. Thank you!
Sincerely
Bob Geco
68 280SL
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 01:08:01 by 280SL71 »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: USA headlight clip in for USA turnsignal assemblies and chrome bezel
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 15:05:12 »
Bob,

I am not entirely sure what you are asking or why, but I'll try.

There are three models of the USA lights, all differing in suffix to LE1657. Suffixes are -AC, -AN, -AJ. The -AC has a small amber lower light; the -AN has a larger amber, and the -AJ has the larger amber with the pigtail for the side markers that became standard mid-1969 production. Technically your car would have reflectors, not markers, but I think the only one available today is the latest. Don't hold me to those descriptions, I only have the latest myself.

Within those three is early, OEM production which had chrome plated metal bezels. Later replacements had "chrome flashed" plastic bezels. I believe the later ones are not separable. I think the Euro lamps all have a separate bezel, but then again, I don't have them so I'm not 100% sure.

What I have posted here is a photo of a chrome plated metal bezel from the rear view, and then a close-up of the clip at the top. The clip is on all models to the best of my knowledge and is a fixed part of the bezel; it is riveted in place. On the front of each bezel you will see two small dome-headed rivets, and these hold the clip in from the back.

The clip is spring steel. I believe the clip latches onto the bulb holder. The bulb holder is where the sealed beam goes into, and this is zinc plated steel. By the way I hope you saved the USA bulb holders, new ones are over $1,000 each. When I did my restoration they were less than $100.00 each. It's just stamped steel, zinc plated, and makes the grill star look like a bargain.

Is this the information you are looking for?

ALL THAT BEING SAID, one of the reasons why people preferred the Euro lights over the USA was the BRIGHTNESS of the H4 (do I have that correct peeps?) bulbs as opposed to the sealed beam USA versions. Today of course you have more choices in sealed beams, with encapsulated halogens, and even some sealed beam replacements available. One thing for sure is by bringing it back to USA spec you have more light choices than your dad had in 1968, and for sure you will get some good $$$ for the Euro lenses on eBay.

One of the reasons I could post these photos is my Uncle, the PO of the car, smashed these regularly so I had a collection of pieces/parts. The bezel shown is an older metal one. I also have a smashed assembly where the bezel is plastic, but the bezel cannot be easily separated from the rest of the assembly.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 15:40:13 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid