Author Topic: Seatbelt Question  (Read 3663 times)

Malc

Seatbelt Question
« on: November 04, 2004, 07:44:53 »
When rummaging through the old girl to clean up the inside I discovered the seat belt arrangement is a little wierd.
THere is a "normal" 3 point system, but there appears to be a kind of lapbelt only system too, the catch and the buckle on the lapbelt is different so you cannot confuse the two types.

Was this a common thing or do you think I am looking at a 3 point system being fitted at a later date??

THanks
Malc

Edit: The car was originally delivered in Germany, but shipped to teh US at some point in 1965-66

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 07:46:13 by Malc »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Seatbelt Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 08:57:40 »
Malc,

I had an Austin America once (actually several of them) and you knew the car as an Austin 1300 in the UK.  A Mini on steroids.  The belt system on that I believe was a Kangol (of course) with a lap belt, and a shoulder harness that clipped on to the lap portion.  So, you could have a lap belt with or without shoulder harness.  I don't recall being able to just have the shoulder harness without the lap belt.  Is this what you have?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red w/Black Leather
Restored
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Malc

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 09:45:03 »
Michael,
THe 3-point is a true 3-point, ie like modern cars and what apears to be the lap belt is a seperate item

Austin America - Had fun with the Hydrolastic suspension I suspect  :)  Haven't seen a 1300 on the road for ages, and yet they used to be so common.
Malc

pagode.info

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 02:01:42 »
Take a look at this:

www.pagodenteile.de/43.htm

www.pagodenteile.de/38.htm

The first ones comes with
chromed lock like the old
2 point "airplane" ones.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 02:02:32 by pagode.info »

rwaw

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:13:57 »
Have just installed retractable 3point belts from "Pagodenteile"; very much straightforward job, original MB parts and looks really nice; however I find the shoulder belt slips off the seatback all the time making it very tricky to roll the belt off again.
The problem of course is the lack of a B pillar (as in any proper cabriolet !) which leads to the shoulder belt coming UP from a point lower than your shoulder rather than coming DOWN from a point 10-15 cm above your shoulder.
Excuse my technical non-explanation.

I have found though that "SLS" in Hamburg sell a "belt guidance strip" for 28 Euro which looks as if it would do the trick of avoiding the above mentioned hassle. They list it as "original" to W113 and W107.
I've tried to include a link:http://sls.sparebase.de/bin/dbframes.phtml?mid=IN02

Look under Group 91 "sitze".

Does anybody have any experience of this gadget ?? :?:

280SL 1969 Euro RHD
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 06:16:23 by rwaw »

pagode.info

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 10:48:25 »
I do let the seat belt slide back to
B-Post after using. I guess this will
not be possible any more after installing
a "seat belt guidance strip".

Anyway my belt does not slip from
my shoulder.

If You need a "seat belt guidance strip"
phone SLS and ask them, what they offer.
If it comes from W 107, You can order it
directly at Your local Merc Dealer.

In the 107 catalogue I found a partnumber
1078680122 (24,50 Euro) that seemes to be
a seat belt guidance strip.