Author Topic: Cryptic Question About a Pagoda  (Read 34576 times)

treedoc

Cryptic Question About a Pagoda
« on: January 11, 2010, 13:22:41 »
No doubt most of you have seen the actual film or at least the video clip more than once of car chase in the Steve McQueen film Bullit where Steve goes after the bad guys in his Green Shelby Mustang, it's worth watching from time to time just for the sound of a well tuned and probably big blocked Ford V8

So my question is.

When is a silver Mustang preferable to a blue 280SL Pagoda ?

Correct answer and photos will will be published here on 15-02-10

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Re: Cryptic Question About a Pagoda
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 14:34:47 »
Here's an FYI from Ford Country...

1)  The car in question is a 390GT fastback, 1968 model.  Yes, that's a big block.
2)  Legend has it that the already fast Mustang could not keep up with the 440 Magnum  in the bad guy's Charger. (do the math)
3)  Thus came the mods--most likely the typical hot car mods...ported exhaust, higher compression, et al.
4)  These mods on hot Mustang are as common as Prius' in Seattle around these parts.  Every summer.  They are all hibernating now.  :(
5)  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-y1VUdnQXo  Watch it for yourself.
6)  Real driving--sound effects added.  It's not the Mustang that roars like that...it's a GT40 on a Foley Board!
7)  They don't make chase scenes like they used to...

Sorry can't answer your question.  Mustang's don't do it for me.  ;)

Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Raymond

• Platinum
  • USA, FL, JACKSONVILLE
    • GemstoneMediaInc.com
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 16:31:02 »
I came up with a few times a Silver Mustang would be preferable to a blue Pagoda:

When you're stuck in the path of a tornado and the Pagoda is out of gas but the Mustang isn't.
When the Pagoda is in a lake and the Mustang isn't.
When you have to give one of the cars to your teenager. 
When you have to lose a car in a divorce.
When you need to show a car going off a cliff in your movie.
When you want to go unnoticed.

How'm I doin' so far?
Ray
'68 280SL 5-spd "California" Coupe

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 22:00:38 »
I was told that Steve did his own driving for that movie but I don't really know.

I had a friend who once owned one of his old motor cylcles - a black Vincent. I saw all the documention for it andv it was the real deal. He kept it in his dining room and never moved it because he wanted it to be exactly like it was when it was last used.
It was sold to a collector a few years ago.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

Jordan

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Jordan
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 23:07:18 »
When is a silver Mustang preferable to a blue 280SL Pagoda ?

When you go trail riding. :D
Marcus
66 230SL  Euro 4 speed

sjiatrou

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 23:16:49 »
When you drive over to see your cousin who recently retired from Ford, whose father retired from Ford and whose son now works for Ford!!!!!

lurtch

• Silver
  • USA, CA, Santa Rosa
  • " ICON 66 "
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 05:26:26 »
When both of these chassis are named Eleanor ?
Larry Hemstreet  in  N. Cal.

1966  230SL  Met. Anthracite w/ Maroon leather
1981  300TDT (Concours, 86K w/ GETRAG 5sp)
1982  300TDT (rough and rusty)
1986  560SEC (totaled)
1991  300TE (gifted)
1998  E320 (sold)
2004  E320 wagon (gifted)
2008  CLK550 cabriolet

w113dude

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:02:25 »
When both of these chassis are named Eleanor ?

Is this a he or she! Can't tell :D

treedoc

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 21:56:41 »
Fellows,

There's some really great answers above but so far none of you are even close, a little more lateral thinking needed.

Geoff
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:01:47 by treedoc »

bsimaz

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 13:13:03 »
I'll have to wait to answer that question.  I'm in the middle of restoring my brothers 64 1/2 convertable mustang.  (289 4 barrel manual 4 speed).   After I did my 230 he wanted me to do his mustang.  Should have it done by late summer. 

I think that might be a car that's going to take an extra month to complete (so I can drive it). :-)

treedoc

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:52 »
OK here's a clue.

This horse carries the motif of one of Exxon's Subsidiaries
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:26:01 by treedoc »

treedoc

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 06:10:56 »
Allright, here's a clue to a clue.

The Exxon Subsiduary was the Mobil oil Co.

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 18:32:35 »
Treedoc,
Did you trade your blue Pagoda for a Mustang with race heritage (Mobil stickers and all)?  :o
I can't wait until mid February for this one.
Can't you tell us now and we will still be interested to see the photos in February?
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 19:48:23 »
So what do either Mustangs or Pagodas have to do with Pegasus?

http://www.ponysite.de/pegasus.htm
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 19:52:20 by Mike Hughes »
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

treedoc

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 20:18:32 »
Iconic, no we didn't trade the "blue bird" but you are right about the sticker.
Mike Hughes, you are getting very cloose, this Mustang whilst being an early model and not the fastest one ever built but is in fact fitted with a V12 supercharged motor.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 05:53:03 by treedoc »

treedoc

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2010, 03:49:06 »
OK, time to get serious, Mike Hughes, as we said before is getting closer, Pegasus is a strong clue and here are a few other related facts,

1 - The original name for the Mustang was to be Apache.

2 - The Mustang was originally developed following interest shown in the UK as something to combat a some high flyer's powered by MB, BMW & Fiat but had nothing to do with the Le Mans winning GT40's

3 - This one is going to have the Ford Fans looking for my head, all the original prototypes where powered by very big block GM motors.

I think it's time now to pull on the tin hat and descend deep underground.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:04:08 by treedoc »

hauser

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 04:36:18 »
This is a huge long shot here.  Any chance were talking about a plane?

Iconic

• Platinum
  • USA, IL, Highland Park
  • ex-Membership Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 17:55:02 »
Well, since a P51 Mustang was powered by a Rolls Royce Merlin / Packard engine, how about something like a 4600 SC Mustang with twin Big Block Chevys (I might not have the model correct)?
1970 280 SL Automatic, USA version, Grey-Blue (906G/906G), Blue leather (245)
1968 SS396 Camaro Convertible (owned since 1977 -- my first car :D)
1984 Porsche Euro Carrera coupe, LSD, SlateBlueMet/Blue
1998 BMW M-Rdstr Estoril Blue
1970 280 SL Automatic, Anthracite Grey-173G, Red Interior-132 - sold

hauser

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2010, 18:27:03 »
The early Mustang had an Alisson engine.  Allison was a division of General Motors.  Am I getting close??? ???

Andres G

• Silver
  • USA, FL, Miami
    • Toyota Adventure Team
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2010, 19:43:07 »
I'm with Hauser here... plus I'd only prefer the mustang if it could fly, so from my point of view, you just bought an airplane.

but I do have to add:

Cheers!
Andres G

treedoc

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2010, 20:23:45 »
Hauser, your long shot is right on the money, no prises for the others that came after you.

On the 15 th of Feb I will be ticking off something that's been on my "bucket list" for years, I've booked a flight in the back seat of an Australian licence built North American P51-D and will be doing a low level run over Noosa Heads as a tribute to a couple of old Friends that flow these aircraft in anger during the Korean War. Note the Pegasus sign on her side.

We will be taking our own photos of our Pagoda beside the 51 on the day and will post some here in mean time anyone that would like see more images / details just Google P51-D

For the company that operates our bird see www.mustangflights.com they are based at Caboolture SE Queensland.

Andres, as for my buying a P51 Mustang, "I wish" Pagoda's can be a drain, a 51 would brake my bank
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 20:28:36 by treedoc »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 20:46:11 »
Very cool!

So.... If an old boat is described as a hole in the water into which you pour money, and an old car is described as an oil spot on the garage floor into which you pour money, then what is an old airplane?
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 22:10:50 »
Something into which you pour your money to dissipate into thin air!
Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

treedoc

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 23:03:24 »

Buying an old P51-D

As Al Gore would say, "A way to greatly encrease your carbon holf prints"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 23:18:14 by treedoc »

hauser

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 23:53:58 »
I wasn't completely sure but as the clues and responses came in it started to sound less of a car.

Congrats on the Mustang.  I have always loved the design of this plane with its timeless and classic look.  One of the best planes ever made as far as I'm concerned.  My other modern favorite is the Raptor. 

wd

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 06:51:23 »
Beautiful aircraft.  Paul Allen has a little museum in Everett just north of Seattle.  Nice Mustrang there but also other very rare warbirds.  Some are the last ones in existence.  In the summer they fly different planes once a month. You can just show up and hang around outside to watch. Might make a good destination for a w113 get together/run.  Use the address below to check it out.  If anyone is in the area it is worth seeing,  WWII vets give the tours.  Also check out the Boeing flight museum at Boeing Field in Seattle. Search, Museum of Flight Seattle.  
  The Mustang they have at Allen's heritage museum was flown in WWII by a Lt Tordoff, Arm Air Corp out of Raydon, England.  They restored the airplane and had it sitting in a secluded spot on the field.  They had some friends of Tordoff bring him to the field unknowing and drove him around and there she was to his surprise, the first time he had seen her since leaving Europe.  Great Story.

They have researched each planes history.  One of the last of the breeds they found from records and satellite shots.  They searched for it and finally found one wing tip sticking up.  Now it is restored.  The stories are all posted by the planes.

www.flyingheritage.com
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:06:13 by wd »

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 23:49:20 »
Fun question and such...but like my mom always told me, "be careful what you wish for".

There has been complaints, as it were, lately, of the fuel consumption of our beloved W113's.  As to the "preferable" silver Mustang, try 85 GPH at cruise.  Of course you have to GET to cruise first.  Oh, yes--we've talked about gas (petrol) here too, and about ethanol.  Try Avgas 100LL.  Price that at your local filling station.  Oh, I'll save you the effort...it's over $6 a gallon--which may be tame by European standards but it is about twice the price of automotive fuel in the USA.

So many folks here LOVE to tinker with their cars.  No Metric Motors for their rebuild, they will do it themselves.  Don't like the factory given transmission, so they will try their own.  With your silver Mustang, no can do.  Unless of course you have the license to rebuild the engine.  What?  Tighten a loose aileron?  Sorry, put the screwdriver away, unless you have an airframe license to boot.  You have to leave all work to the licensed professionals...think the local German car mechanic is expensive?  Try one with Merlin experience...

Parts, ah parts.  We complain about parts prices (yes we do, me included).  Ha!  You ain't seen nothin'! They have not made the Packard Merlin engine in a very, very long time.  Think you can fabricate that long lost part you need in your heated garage?  Ah, no, sorry.  You'll need to get it certified first.  Better have a few lawyers, and a boatload of money.  You'll have to find NOS.  Good luck with that.

Collecting vintage Mercedes is sometimes called a hobby for people of means.  Silver Mustangs are for the extremely wealthy. :)

Of course I know it was all tongue in cheek, but before you really wish for a P51 Mustang--in ANY color--better ensure you can actually afford keeping it! ;)  They are one of those things that are so beautiful to study, to look at, perhaps to fly--on someone else's nickel, as we say...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

treedoc

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 03:18:56 »
Hey Michael,

It never been our intention to buy the beast, hiring it at the equivalent of US$71.00 / minute is bad enough, but as my pappy allways said to me "You can't take it with you son, and if you could old St Peter would probably take it off you anyway."

Another thing, don't let them "tree huggers" get to you about the fuel consumption of your "classic", just remind them that the Evian French mountain spring water their sucking on costs around $18.00 a gallon and when was the last time Al G. rode into town on a Malvin Star and stayed at the local trailer park.

Looking forward to the big day and especially sharing the rubble from the stub exhausts of a 27 litre, 12 cyl., 48 vlave Merlin with some of my neigbours and if their chickens stop laying for a few days, so be it. 

hauser

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:19:09 »
Michael, you have been up close to one of the beautiful planes before.  I remember the photo of you and Mrs Salemi with a P51 owned by Jack Roush.  

As for money matters I can only say, Don't feel sorry for anyone that owns a plane.  If you can afford to buy it you can afford to keep it running.

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 16:32:33 »
Guys, my reply was just tongue and cheek of course!

Yes, Hauser--you are quite correct.  Marcy and I had the pleasure of getting up close and personal with Jack Roush's P51 at the Meadow Brook Concours Hangar party a couple of years ago...but that was only part of the fun.  There was a B17, a bunch of surviving crew members; some Tuskegee airmen; and Bob Lutz flew up in his Czech built L39 jet fighter dressed like a USMC plane.  Franky the whole event was as much fun as the Concours itself 2 days later!  Somewhere in these forum archives there are a bunch of photos I posted including one of a freshly rebuilt Merlin engine.

I have also paid $$$ for a ride in a B17, and a Ford (of course!) Tri-Motor.  Have not had the P51 opportunity present itself--I suspect that there are far fewer T51 2-place trainers than P51's around...but if one ever comes here...

For those that love P51's, a couple of years ago, just a few miles from JA17's place, there was  "Gathering of the Legends" where there was a large collection of P51's meeting in Columbus, OH, as well as a large number of the aces that flew them!  http://www.gml2007.com/  That link is worth a visit!
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

hauser

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 17:33:39 »
Michael, thank you for clearing this up for me!  All this time I had referred to your wife as Mrs Salemi and no idea her name was Marcy.  ;D

Sorry there Mike.  I couldn't resist. :)

http://www.sl113.org/forums/index.php?topic=8028.0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 17:41:44 by hauser »

treedoc

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 22:50:48 »
Hi Michael,

It appears you, I and Hauser and I guess many others we share an interest in more than just Pagodas, for years now there have been two aircraft on my "bucket list", the Mustang and the B17, I'm about to tick the 51 but it still leaves the 17.

The closest I've been to one was at Marsh Field outside Riverside CA, well worth a visit for anyone in the area, things like a B52 and a Black Bird etc etc.

As we don't have any 17's down here in Aus I would be greatfull to learn how you came by a flight in one, the cost and any current contacts with the operators.

I know it's "off topic" but would also be interested in learning what your thoughts were about the flight and seeing any images, thanks in anticipation
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 23:28:28 by treedoc »

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 01:40:53 »
The Confederate Air Force has one of the few operational B-17s that they take to selected airshows around the U.S.  Last time they were in the D.C. area I heard they would take groups of 20-25 at a time up for about a 20 minute ride for $100-150.
- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2010, 15:44:19 »
Hi Michael,

As we don't have any 17's down here in Aus I would be greatfull to learn how you came by a flight in one, the cost and any current contacts with the operators.
I know it's "off topic" but would also be interested in learning what your thoughts were about the flight and seeing any images, thanks in anticipation

Treedoc,

The particular B17 I was on is named "Aluminum Overcast" http://www.b17.org/ and is owned and operated by the EAA out of Oshkosh, WI.  In 2001 (actually it was the entire week prior to 9/11) they had the plane at Willow Run Airport http://www.willowrunairport.com/ here in Michigan, giving rides.  It was part of some particular celebration having something to do with Ford Motor Co., and Ford people were able to buy rides.  My wife indulged me.  When my neighbor and friend heard about it, his wife bought him a ride, too.  Unfortunately, we could not get on the same flight.  I was on the 11AM, and he was on the the 1PM.  However, he was lucky: when they were doing preflight for this 1PM flight, Jack Roush http://www.cebudanderson.com/jroush.htm comes up in his P51 and takes off with them, and was flying wing to wing.  They got some great shots on that flight, talk about a photo op!

Interestingly enough, Willow Run is the home of the Yankee Air Museum, http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/ which ALSO has a B17, called "Yankee Lady".  We didn't fly in that one but it was nearby in another hangar! Like our Pagoda's, you can't keep these flying things sitting.  Generally on Thursdays, when there is a nice high-pressure weather pattern around, I can be anywhere in my home and sure as shooting, I'll hear the unmistakable drone of a 4-engine piston powered bomber flying at 3,000 feet overhead at a slow cruise.  It's unmistakable--and I see it quite often, probably 6 times a year.  At my other home in central Michigan, the airspace above it was used as a training area for an A10 wing of the Michigan National Guard based out of Kalamazaoo, so when I happened to be up there during the week--you could often see A10's in mock dogfights.  Much higher altitude but the jet roar was astounding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=JP&hl=ja&v=bFsRLr2XdeI That wing was closed down (budget cuts), and the A10's moved to Selfridge and are now part of the Michigan ANG (Air National Guard) 127th wing.

You should note that Willow Run is the site of the factory that Henry Ford built to build B24's, and at the peak of production they were flying out of the factory at the rate of ONE PER HOUR. http://www.strategosinc.com/willow_run.htm  Later the plant went to GM, and they built Corvair's there.  But, it is still there.  Interstate I94 which runs from Detroit to Ann Arbor was built along a highway connecting Detroit to Ypsilanti where the plant was located.  At the time of building that plant, there was little means of getting the workers there so they built a road.

If you want an easy ride in a B17, you'll have to come to Oshkosh or Michigan (or a couple other places)--while these planes do travel they don't often go too far.  There are others around too.  The Commemorative Air Force http://commemorativeairforce.org/ has B17 I believe, in Texas and in Arizona.  Mike Hughes referred to them by their old, and socially-unacceptable name of "Confederate Air Force".  Their history in and unto itself is an amazing story, particularly about their B29. http://www.cafb29b24.org/a/B-29-FiFi_History.htm

Photos during the flight were kind of useless--just flat Michigan farmland and terrain from 3,000 feet.  No big deal.  These photos predate my purchase of a digital camera, and I don't even know where the originals are; I did have these though, in my computer.  I know I took a lot more for when the plane was on the ground we had free unfettered access to it all around.  Even under the oil-dripping engines.  Going up in the plane was eerie; I had many thoughts of the young kids who were plucked from the farms and fields of 1940's America, trained to fly and crew these things, and how many of them never came home.  The pilots told me that when loaded for bomber duty with fuel and ordnance and a full crew, it took every bit of horsepower at full throttle, and every inch of runway to just barely get these things airborne.  On that pleasant day in 2001, we simply popped up in the air, relatively speaking.  I had the lucky seat of radio operator for the takeoff, just behind the pilot/captain.  A good reference to what happened with those planes are the two movies made about "Memphis Belle" which you can probably buy or rent locally even in Australia.  There is the one from 1990, and also the original made in 1944 as a documentary; you can see that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMDSFAYDV-Y  The Hollywood version from 1990 is fictionalized of course, but was so spellbinding it kept my wife awake to watch the entire movie--something she almost NEVER does!

One thing I really liked was being able to see the famous Norden Bombsight.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norden_bombsight  I used to live very close to Norden's headquarters in Norwalk, Connecticut about 50 miles outside of NYC.  They are now part of Northrop Grumman.

Hope that keeps you happy for a while!!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 20:02:51 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

wd

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2010, 03:42:41 »
I do not understand why people failed to see the humor in  the name of "the Confederate Air Force".  I was sad to see it fall.  Even as a little kid it made me chuckle at the absurdity.
I have on my wall my charter member cerificate for being a founding member of the Southern California wing.  I also still appreciate the humor of the originally adapted So California jacket patch with good old Yosemite Sam, sixguns in hand. I have paid little attention to the organization for some time now but I suppose if still on todays patch Sam is probably giving two thumbs up having  been I am sure disarmed by this point.
I think it might just be some low bluebelly yankee plot.   :D
  (all in good humor)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:54:23 by wd »

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 14:14:20 »
Just in case anyone is still interested in this topic, I thought I would mention the commemorative group in Hamilton, Ontario,
www.warplane.com/index.html
where they have one of the last flying Lancaster bombers. The place is within range for a visit from forum members in the northeast U.S.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 14:21:33 by pj »
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 09:50:24 »
One of the last flying B17s came down in an Ohio field last week :(
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather