Author Topic: bonnet removal  (Read 3386 times)

wildatheart

bonnet removal
« on: May 21, 2010, 18:11:48 »
I would like to clean some sound deadening and glue from the underside of the bonnet.
Is it a complete pain to remove the bonnet and refit? It's gotta be a two-person job though right..?

SteveK

Re: bonnet removal
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 20:15:37 »
I found it very easy but be careful to follow the instructions in the Tech Manual.  The place you really need to watch is the spring;  make sure it's properly supported, other than that it's just two small bolts and slide it over.  It goes back the same way it came off.  Use a Sharpie to mark where the hinge is before you loosen the two bolts.   I also usually put some blue painters tape around the edges of the hood and the edges of the compartment, just to make sure there's no chance of chipping the paint. (it takes about 5 minutes to tape and 15 minutes to remove the hood)

wildatheart

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 20:18:09 »
Thanks - can I do it as a one man band?

SteveK

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 22:49:31 »
I would say no.  The hood is very light, not more than 25 pounds, it's just too big.  I have had my wife help me remove it; all it takes is an extra set of hands to guide it.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 23:14:55 »
I would add my two cents, or two pence or whatever, to say that this is sooooo much easier as a two person job. As the others have said, mark off where the bolt and joint connections are made for the re-unification process. The one issue to be careful of is the hood tension rod.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor