Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
some interesting responses in this thread.

1. can someone share how to ground the 123?   
2. wwheeler - interesting point on the resistor. 
       123 recommends a blue coil no resistor, wondering if using a red coil with correct resistor makes
        sense.  not just for the coil but the 123?

thanks in advance
The most secure way is to have a look into the oil filler hole. There you can see the lobes of the camshaft cylinder 1. If the engine is TDC in compression stroke, the lobes are positioned upwards. If the engine is is in TDC gas exchange, the lobes are positioned downwards. There is no possibility to make a mistake.
I always get confused with TDC - especially in the sense that there are two TDC's, one on compression stroke (that's the one we want to set ignition timing) and one on 'the other' stroke. It's very basic, and I always figure it out in the end, but I always have to be busy with it for a while, every time I need to 'time' an engine or ignition. So if it seems like you're on TDC, you may not be on the compression stroke and you have to rotate the engine again to what looks like the same point, but it's not, it's 'the other TDC'.

Is it not possible to tell the difference between TDC on the compression stroke and the "other" (exhaust stroke) by looking at what direction the rotor is pointing?
Pagoda Spotting / Re: Jerry Seinfield's Movie - Unfrosted
« Last post by Jordan on Today at 10:45:13 »
In watching Unfrosted, within the first 20 Min, a 113 passes in front of the Kellogg's headquarters .
Only a 113 nerd would notice something like this.

Missed it as I didn't get 20 minutes into the movie before I turned it off.  I did see the one in The Gentleman.  Good exposure in that episode and a great series.
Don't you think 37 advance is not a bit too much?  How did you proceed with the idle vacuum retard?
Electrical and Instruments / Re: Fuel Gage Not Working
« Last post by BobH on Today at 07:56:56 »
Just did some more MultiMeter tests....

Tested the Plug Ground to the ground at the Rear Right Light and that is good.

Multimeter test on the new Fuel Sender I get about 47 (200ohm) when I connect the Ground to the G Pin.
When I Jump the W to the Ground with a wire on the Plug the Fuel gage goes Full.

Whatever connections you had at both ends when you tested this, were correct, the gauge worked!
The low fuel lamp may not have worked if it was blown, rule that out before you change any wires again

As far as i'm aware
W - blue black - pin 6
G - blue green - pin 4

If you get them reversed, the gauge won't indicate until the tank is empty and the low fuel lamp will probably be on all the time, albeit a bit dim

EDIT - this was driving me mad, so i checked my plug at the sender

As in Leo's photo
W is blue/green
G is blue/black

Which makes everything written in the tech manual incorrect, which i find hard to believe.  Must be something simple we're overlooking

I need to investigate more

2nd EDIT

So the images in the tech manual are definitely incorrect

The image of the 12 way connector "Male connector pin assignment under dashboard"

The colours on pins 4 & 6 need to be reversed

There is another image in the manual, a hand drawn schematic, "Female connector pin assignment under dashboard", this needs to be changed as well, and there is another error on this schematic:

Pin 6 should be pin 5
Pin 5 should be pin 4
Pin 4 should be pin 6

If this is agreed, i'll make a note in the manual, does anyone know how to edit these images, or do they need to be redrawn completely?

« Last post by Benz Dr. on Today at 06:06:55 »
It is a 108. Both cars are much later than 1963.
i believe i got both 230 and 250 head, complete. lets connect
Wanted To Buy / Re: Engine and automatic tranny for 64 230Sl
« Last post by cabrioletturbo on Today at 04:00:25 »
i may have just what you are looking for. lets connect.
« Last post by Vander on Today at 03:31:17 »
Quick …

Looks like there is also a silver W108 in the background.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10