Author Topic: body panels  (Read 4534 times)

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
  • Canada, NS, Lawrencetown
body panels
« on: November 11, 2009, 23:24:41 »
Are there any good videos showing removal of rusted fenders and quarter panels and installation of new. I am in the process of ordering new panels from K&K but could use some advice.  Thanks...
1970 280SL
1966 250S

• Platinum
  • Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Tecklenburg
Re: body panels
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 20:15:23 »
Hello John,

Not that I am aware of any specific video on this topic available right now ...

There "is" some stuff on youtube but I think it's mostly useless.

However ... there "was" a restoration guide video available or offered a couple of years ago. I was interested in that one but lost track of it.

SO else should jump in here ...

Sorry please, John, for no better news

Achim
Achim
(Germany)

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 20:47:07 »
Hi Achim,
   Thanks for the info. I did check out U Tube but you're right in that there is really nothing of value there. I would sure like to get my hands on that video you mentioned. Appreciate your note.
   John
1970 280SL
1966 250S

merrill

• Platinum
  • USA, TX, Austin
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:09:06 »
here is the link to the video in question.

http://www.totalrestore.com/

it does not really detail all the restoration but is a high level overview
Matt
Austin Tx
66 230 sl - "white"
78 300 D - Blue
98 C230

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 17:26:48 »
Thanks very much for the info Merrill. Every little bit of information helps. I ordered the video and hopefully it will show up soon. Appreciate you responding.
 John
1970 280SL
1966 250S

JOS

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 14:08:28 »
Hi John,

I hope that you are an experience body shop technician, if you ere not, I strongly suggest not to attempt to do the work your self. To do the job properly you will need to expend many hours removing factory spot welds, aligning panel’s etcetera. I am in the process of doing a restoration on a 1967 230SL and I consider my self a good technician; I have all the tools, the room to work, a very good frame jig, spot, tig and mig welders. 
After spending more hours that I care to tell you on this project, I wish a have given the car to a body shop. The K&K panels are O.K. but they are not a perfect fit, you need to trim and adjust the panels as they did originally at the factory.

John O. Salazar

johnm

• Associate Member
  • Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 16:39:32 »
 Thanks for the valuable feedback John. Fortunately my son is a fully licensed autobody technician with a great deal of experience and contacts. As we are in the process of evaluating the car our intention is to remove as little of each panel as possible. In the case of the quarter panels only partial skins will be required. The fenders are a little worse for wear however we feel we've got a pretty good handle on the procedure. Of course I am open to all advice and feedback from the group and appreciate your response. If you have any photos of your restoration I would love to see them. 
With best regards... John
1970 280SL
1966 250S