Author Topic: Frigiking a/c blower motor fuse - wire hot  (Read 9099 times)

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
Frigiking a/c blower motor fuse - wire hot
« on: July 23, 2011, 21:21:21 »
Last week the under dash inline fuse for my Frigiking A/C blower motor blew. (What size fuse should this be?)  Today I replaced the fuse and when pushing the fuse holder back up under the dash, I noticed the wire was getting pretty hot after just a minute or so running the fan. The blower seems to work ok on all three speeds, but I'm concerned that the wire got hot so fast.  I'm trying to figure out if my blower motor is the culprit or perhaps it is the switch (resistor?).  Any suggestions are appreciated.  If I end up pulling the blower motor, can I do that without releasing the A/C charge? Has anyone seen a writeup for replacing the blower motor for the a/c and/or the heater blower?  If I end up taking the a/c unit down, I might was well fix the squeaky heater blower too.  Thanks for your help.

Bob H.
Pittsburgh, PA

1970 280SL
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed

George Des

Re: Frigiking a/c blower motor fuse - wire hot
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 00:26:05 »
It will be pretty difficult to remove the blower assembly from the evaporator box without removing the entire box from the car--this means you will need to evacuate the system. My advice while your in there is to consider replacing the stock blower assembly with a new Spal blower which is pratically a "drop-in" replacement. The Spal system provides a much greater output w/o half the noise as the stock metal fan blower--the Spal is plastic. Check some of the Forum posts for more info on this worthwhile replacement.

George

badali

• Platinum
  • USA, Pa, Butler
  • 1966 230SL
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:14:05 »
My blower switch gets very hot on the AC in my 280 SE 4.5 also.  I may be from the resistor switch.  it is inside where the cold air blows on my system.  So far it has not caused a problem.  It may be normal to get hot.
Brad

1961 220 Sb
1966 230 SL
2019 E 450 4 Matic
2022 GLC 300 4 Matic

BHap

• Senior
  • USA, PA, Pittsburgh
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 21:11:18 »
Thank you for the responses and suggestions - if I do end up replacing the motor, I will most likely go with a Spal.  So far I have found that you CAN get the blower motor off of the evaporator box if you pull the unit out a little ways from the firewall.  The freon hoses are rubber and will allow you some wiggle room.  Four screws and it is out.  Getting it back in will be another story - I'm sure.  I am working on two theories at present.  The first is that it may not be the motor at all, but the way that the motor was mounted.  The bracket that holds the motor into the air box has four screws, tow on each side.  The two lower screws have two purposes one is to hold the motor in the center of the airbox by clamping the motor into the bracket and the second is to hold the evaporator/fan box in the bracket on the firewall.  My bolts were a little loose when I took them out and there was some rubbing visible inside the airbox.  This may be all that was wrong.  The second would be to suspect the motor, but I will nee to run it on the bench for a while to see how many amps it draws over time.  On a quick test, holding the motor in one hand and attaching power with the other, I registered about 8.25 amps with the fan motor on high.  None of my test leads got hot.  I did take the three speed switch apart and found there are no resistors inside the switch - it simply connects power to one, two or three terminals.  Three for high, two for med, one for low.  Next project will be to wire the motor to the switch and run the fan for a while on each speed and see what happens.
Bob Happe
Pittsburgh, Pa
1970 280SL, white/black 4 speed