Author Topic: Injectors  (Read 215 times)

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
Injectors
« on: May 16, 2024, 17:07:02 »
It took me quite a bit of time to find something official that "proves" that the later A000 078 1123 injector replaces the earlier A000 078 0723 230SL injector.  Here's what a vendor (https://eeuroparts.com/) sent me:

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
Re: Injectors
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 21:28:37 »
There is nothing like that in the EPC, but there are other systems at Mercedes with more replacements options. Best: call the dealer and ask them to check if one can replace the other.
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:40:49 »
Before investing in new injectors you should build/borrow or otherwise use the well known injector tester. It can clean a dirty injector and unclog a clogged one. It cannot restore every injector but I’ve seen it restore a number of them.

There are some members here who have bought new Bosch injectors and found many new ones basically unusable.

The ones you have may be perfectly fine after a good cleaning in the tester.

https://mercedessource.com/store/cis-gas-fuel-injector-spray-pattern-tester-and-nozzle-cleaner
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #3 on: Today at 13:05:32 »
Mike,

The old injectors have been tested and double checked..   all but 1 didn't meet specs.  The "early" injectors (R1) are quite hard to find and almost twice the cost (around $200) so we've decided to order a complete set of the new (or R2) injectors as being the best course of action.  The new set will be tested before they're installed.  I've read through most of the posts here and it "looks like" there have been some failed "R2" injectors but that they are the replacement Bosch recommends..   I've not found any descriptions of "what's different" but given that the change occurred at the same time the 250 was introduced as well as "smog" requirements my only guess is that they may atomize better...  maybe they add a bit more fuel for the larger displacemnt - dunno..  testing will tell.   

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #4 on: Today at 15:13:46 »
Mike,

The old injectors have been tested and double checked..   all but 1 didn't meet specs.  The "early" injectors (R1) are quite hard to find and almost twice the cost (around $200) so we've decided to order a complete set of the new (or R2) injectors as being the best course of action.  The new set will be tested before they're installed.  I've read through most of the posts here and it "looks like" there have been some failed "R2" injectors but that they are the replacement Bosch recommends..   I've not found any descriptions of "what's different" but given that the change occurred at the same time the 250 was introduced as well as "smog" requirements my only guess is that they may atomize better...  maybe they add a bit more fuel for the larger displacemnt - dunno..  testing will tell.   

If ONE R1 injector didn't meet specs, shouldn't be that hard to find ONE good used one? But probably a good idea to have the full set of six either all R1 or all R2 and all working properly.

Mauro from Messina, Sicily, bought a full set of the newer ones and most were no good. He returned them...I think you could find his posts on the matter.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #5 on: Today at 16:20:52 »
I am sort of curious about the cleaning process (I have a bunch of injectors acquired over the years) so I looked at the link posted for mercedes source. The list of applicable cars does not include the 113s.

Is there an adaptor to use for these (the 113 units)? Or is it just not mentioned, and it does work with those? And I am assuming the 111 -112 etc.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

yves

• Silver
  • France, Poitou-Charentes, LA ROCHELLE
  • Happy owner of a 69/ 280 sl , 63 Etype ,55 XK 140
« Reply #6 on: Today at 17:18:03 »
I used the mercedessource kit with succes. The pattern of the spray was good after +- 20 press actions
Now the kit is waiting .... for a use in 2040.... ;)
Happy owner of a 69 blue 280SL ,  63 FHC  osb E-type , 55 FHC XK 140 to be restored...

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #7 on: Today at 17:20:02 »
JonnyB, Jim Villers had his setup at the Charlottesville PUB in 2017. He cleaned and tested many injectors, and I remember helping at least one member removed them from his car and replace them. It looked pretty identical to the one shown from Mercedessource, basically some connectors, hardware, a supply of cleaning fluid, and a gauge/pressure pump.

I don't have any to check but if YOU do it might be worthwhile to build one.

The cleaning process basically puts a little to a lot more pressure on the injector than it gets from the FI pump. This can "free up" any stuck parts, but not 100% of the time. I remember watching as we pumped and finally a stuck injector "popped" and began to spray. Then continued spraying and pumping allowed the fluid to clean the injectors.

This is a great PUB topic and I think we'll do it again for 2025 if we have a PUB tech session...
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

dirkbalter

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Corona
« Reply #8 on: Today at 17:22:11 »
I am sort of curious about the cleaning process (I have a bunch of injectors acquired over the years) so I looked at the link posted for mercedes source. The list of applicable cars does not include the 113s.

Is there an adaptor to use for these (the 113 units)? Or is it just not mentioned, and it does work with those? And I am assuming the 111 -112 etc.

https://mercedessource.com/store/bosch-mechanical-fuel-injector-mfi-tester-and-cleaning-kit

Jon, I have one of these test kits. It's more for testing rather than cleaning. For me an ultrasonic bath together with soaking and scraping... worked on some of the injectors.
You can use it if you want to get into it.
Dirk
66 230 SL
70 280 SEL
53 CHEVY 3100
18 C300 COUPE
05 HD FLSTNI

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #9 on: Today at 19:29:31 »
Mike,

Here's my thought process.  They are a different part number, for a different sized and tuned engine (although the 250 head will fit the 230) and therefore probably slightly different injectors.  So our decision was to go with 6 of the same injectors - not to "mix" early and late since the assumption is that the early and late injectors won't behave exactly the same.  Since they are also designed to feed a later, and larger engine we also surmise that they might offer more performance for the smaller 230..  But we don't really know their delivery characterisitcs until we test and tune..  I did read the post you mention and that set was returned, deemed defective, and replaced with the same part number satisfactorily..  BUT as I said above they'll be tested before installation and potentially tuned afterwards.  Lastly was the $$$$  - early are running about $200 - 250 and the late are $100.  6 late are $600 and 5 early would be over $1000..  the next owner may thank me for the later and more available parts   ;)

Benz Dr.

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • Canada, ON, Port Lambton
  • Benz Dr.
« Reply #10 on: Today at 20:52:50 »
Either style injector will work in any Pagoda engine. The injection pump determines how much fuel is delivered, not the injectors. The R1 and R2 injectors have different spray patterns with the R1 being more conical in shape. I prefer the R1 when I can find them.
1966 230SL 5 speed, LSD, header pipes, 300SE distributor, ported, polished and balanced, AKA  ''The Red Rocket ''
Dan Caron's SL Barn

1970  3.5 Coupe
1961  190SL
1985   300CD  Turbo Coupe
1981  300SD
2013  GMC  Sierra
1965  230SL
1967 250SL
1970 280SL
1988 560SEC

russelljones48

• Senior
  • USA, NC, Mooresville
« Reply #11 on: Today at 21:27:45 »
Thank you.  All of my injectors were retested and although the patterns look good and they chirp as desired the pop pressures are below the minimum of 15 atm or 220.4 psi, per the gauge they pop at 200-210 psi.  Gauge tested (actually reads a little high) as a precaution and the conclusion is that the injectors all pop below spec...   :( :(