Author Topic: What hole size for column switch indicator rubber cover?  (Read 3775 times)

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
What hole size for column switch indicator rubber cover?
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:59:13 »
After successfully repairing my indicator switch I decided to replace the old rubber cover or shroud that the indicator stalk goes through. 

The new rubber cover arrived today(SLS)  but it does not have a hole punched through it, for the indicator stalk.

Easy enough to punch hole through however the actual stalk is quite a small diameter whereas the hole in the rubber cover has to be large enough to fit over the control device on the end of the stalk (I think). Has anyone done this already and what sized hole did you make?  Too large and it looks unsightly and too small and the control device could split the rubber and negate the purpose of buying a new one.

In actual fact I am wondering whether the hole shouldn't be a slot in the vertical axis which would allow the stalk to move up and down for left and righthand indication? Could measure the movement and punch two say 1/4" holes and join them up carefully with snips?
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto

drmb

• Associate Member
  • Senior
  • New Zealand, Waikato, Te Awamutu
Re: What hole size for column switch indicator rubber cover?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 07:40:53 »
It also needs to go forward for screen wash and back for headlamp flash.
Mercedes Restorer.
1969 280sl 050 whte Blue interior
1996 E320 Cabrio
1963 220se 111-023 cabrio, red,black interior.
1967 Morris Cooper
Lloydmarx@xtra.co.nz

Larry & Norma

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, England, Southampton
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:48:49 »
Looking at the picture on the sls site it looks like the
position and size of the hole and slits is moulded into the
rubber on the inside of the cover. Just needs cutting.
Larry Hall (Gnuface)
2023 Ioniq6
2005 C230
1970 280SL

rutger kohler

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • New Zealand, Auckland, Auckland
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 23:51:02 »
Hi, thanks for the two posts. particularly  the suggestion to look inside the shroud or cover.  Yes it is all there.  See (photo original cover)
I first punched two overlapping holes to get the ellipse shown inside the moulding and fitted the cover on like this this.(see photo 1st cut)

However when I looked inside the original cover I noticed it has factory cut slots inside it, as well as the hole (I had assumed these were wear tears in the rubber), and remembered that the new ones had a couple of parallel line mouldings it too.  I had thought that these were just strengthening ribs, so off it came again, however I punched an 1/8" hole at the end of each slot before cutting them so that the slot won't split further (see photo  before cutting slits)

A final shot showing the finished job (see photo)
1969 280 SL Manual gear shift
1972 280SE 3.5 auto