Author Topic: Carpets on early 230SL  (Read 1533 times)

Tibidabo

Carpets on early 230SL
« on: October 03, 2018, 09:21:47 »
Good day to all

I am in the process of finalizing the interior of my October 1963 230SL and would like to know if I have things right. I have read a lot of posts about the matter but at the end of the day I am not sure I have gotten everything right.

The code 114 on the data card that corresponds to natural 2401 MB Tex seats + brown 6454 carpets, I shall use leather instead of MB Tex but this is pretty straightforward. Next to the code 114 there is "1" which meaning I have not found.

My question is mostly about footwells (remember this is a very early 1963 car):

1) I have read that early cars did not have carpet footwells but rubber mats instead. Is this correct ?
2) if so what color should they be ? My guess is black as I happen to have the original black luggage compartment mat
3) Door sills mats should be also in black ?
2) Is there also a rubber mat on the floor behind the seats ?
3) Is there a luggage compartment carpet in early 230sl ?

Many thanks in advance for whomever can help my clarify the matter !

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Carpets on early 230SL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 18:00:42 »
The 230 and 250 SLs had the rubber mats in the foot wells. They would not be black, usually grey, but I don't know if they came in other colors. Others can sound in on that.
There is no carpet in the trunk from stock.
I believe behind the seats there should be a carpet piece.
The door sill rubber did come in colors for cars but is difficult to source (use the "Search" function and you will find posts on this)

Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

Tibidabo

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:12:02 »
Many thanks for the answer!

mbzse

• Platinum
  • Sweden, Stockholm, Stockholm
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:04:26 »
Quote from: Jonny B
The 230 and 250 SLs had the rubber mats in the foot wells.../... I don't know if they came in other colors../...
Yes, there were a wide variety of colours, and the interior was "colour tuned" to harmonise as a whole. The interior Code determines colours for carpets, sun visors, Hardtop inner ceiling, covers under dash, the piece in the middle wood tray, dash and window A pillar padding, window crank inserts etc. 

For the rubber mat for driver and passenger six colours were specified: dark grey, medium grey, blue, sandy beige, brown or beige.
/Hans S