Author Topic: $5 Camber tool  (Read 7168 times)

A Dalton

$5 Camber tool
« on: December 21, 2004, 17:06:25 »
Maybe someone can clean this up for posting.
 It is a cheapo design of mine that works fine for 113s DIYers.
 I have no scanner available at this time , so a photo is best I could do.
A. Dalton
Benz Tech/Collector

http://members.aol.com/ajdalton7/cameratool.jpg

jeffc280sl

Re: $5 Camber tool
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 18:17:30 »
I love your tools.  I'll see if I can make it pretty and repost.  I assume the scale reads as follows: 1/8" = 1/2 degree camber.  Correct?

Thanks,

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

A Dalton

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 18:36:53 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lax882@aol.com

I love your tools.  I'll see if I can make it pretty and repost.  I assume the scale reads as follows: 1/8" = 1/2 degree camber.  Correct?

Thanks,

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Yes . The actual tangent spacing on the scale would be .245" for a 1 degree angle, so I broke it down to [ .125] 1/8" = 1/2 degree ... close enough for us...
 Notice that the larger scale lines are 1/4" apart... this would be the 1 Degree line markings.. [ just for ease/simplicity on the eye]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 19:50:37 by A Dalton »

Ben

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 05:44:42 »
Hah !

I love it !

its so simple. We used a simple device like this for rough setting year ago when cars were being driven from our bodyshop back to the final fitting/setting shop.

Just what I need to do too !!

Thanks Arthur for sharing with us !

Regards,
Ben in Ireland.
'64 230SL 4sp.

Bob G

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 15:38:03 »
If you make the tool I will buy it? I am terrible at building things but I like innovation.

Bob Geco

jeffc280sl

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 17:24:03 »
Made the tool.  It was easy.  Which way is + degrees on the scale?  To the right?

Thanks

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

A Dalton

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2004, 21:56:56 »
It is marked on the scale detail insert...

jeffc280sl

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 06:32:07 »
I think its near the top but I can't read it because its fuzzy.

Thanks

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

A Dalton

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 12:52:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by Lax882@aol.com

I think its near the top but I can't read it because its fuzzy.

Thanks

Jeff C.
1970 280SL 4-speed

Yeah.. that's why I wanted someone to clean it up..I am in the process of moving and my scanner has been shipped , so I am down to the computer and a cheapo camera..along with paper plates and a micro-wave..
 Anyway, if you tilt the tool to mirror a positve camber on the car , you will see that the plum bob has to move to the right [ away from the rim  bottom]. Just the opposite for negative camber....  
The center of your scale will be at zero when the tool is perfectly perpendicular to level and as the positive camber increases, the bob will swing to the right and can be measured with the scale.. Each 1/8" indicator is 30', each 1/4 is a full degree..
 This tool may look crude , but don't let it fool you...One wants to remember that there are no measures as accurate as a plum bob, so if your scale is correct and you have the patience to wait for the bob  to stabilize, the accuracy is excellent. You can also use another calibration plum bob down the tee surfaces to assure they are plum before locating your scale Zero..then it will be perfect and you will not have to measure the "X" lengths for equal....
The important part of the equation is to make sure the car is level
side to side as your plum will only exibit the  relation to a level surface [ right angle].  A simple trick here is to use some 12" square floor tiles under each tire.. I run a straight 2/4 across the floor and shim it with a good, long level with the tiles at the axle width measure/locations and then, after removing the 2X4, drive the car on the correct number of tiles to assure axle/chassis level..
  Good Luck..
Oh Yeah,I almost forgot... if you are in Assie, the tool will work fine except neg camber will be positive camber due to you being up-side down....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 14:19:12 by A Dalton »

Bob G

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 12:50:14 »
Mr. Dalton;
Can you make me a copy of your alignment tool?

Bob Geco

TheEngineer

• Associate Member
  • Gold
  • USA, West Seattle, WA
  • '69 280SL,Signal Red,
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2004, 13:52:53 »
This is a nice tool! I like simple things that work well. Now, for checking Toe-in: Take a piece of chalk and mark both front tires with a wide swath across. Then drive the car on a straight section of blacktop for 100 feet or so. When you look at your chalk marks: Worn evenly: Good. Worn off on the inside only: Too much toe-out. You get the idea.
'69 280SL,Signal Red, 09 cam, License BB-59U
'67 230SL, 113042-10-017463 (sld)
'50 Jaguar Roadster XK120, #670.318 (sld)
tired engineer, West-Seattle,WA

A Dalton

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2004, 14:18:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by krwaxbz

Mr. Dalton;
Can you make me a copy of your alignment tool?

Bob Geco

Bob
 I am sorry , but I can not..The shop has closed and  I am in the middle of moving and have nothing left here [except a microwave , paper plates, and a cot...]
 Everything has been shipped or sold and I am just waiting on the closing of the properties..
 It is a simple device , so maybe someone can help you out..
 A Dalton