Author Topic: question re dash chrome  (Read 4169 times)

peterm

question re dash chrome
« on: November 22, 2004, 21:32:02 »
Prior repair work before I took possession, likely when the heater controls were replaced cracked park of the chrome surround under the level.  Ive found this part can be purchased but how difficult is it to replace??

Douglas

Re: question re dash chrome
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 22:06:34 »
It's pretty easy. It's just a little tight behind there. The chrome pieces are held on by a simple washer and nut on the backside. The hardest one to get to is the one closest to the driver. That one hardly has any room behind it. The others can be accessed just by removing the radio.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United Kingdom, Surrey, New Malden
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 11:24:13 »
To improve access to the two outer nuts, move the levers to the center.
For the center nut, move all four levers to their outer extremes.

naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 17:09:18 by naj »
68 280SL

graphic66

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 19:59:46 »
Make sure when replacing the pieces to only tighten the nuts enough to flatten the wavy washer just a little. The studs break very easily, so be careful.

peterm

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 10:03:22 »
OK ray paul sent me a beautiful replacement piece for my cracked dash chrome, now what.  Remove radio, remove speedo, remove glovebox are all interesting comments, but no-one has said How to do this?  With my talent limited to operating on eyeballs (where I rarely have left over parts when I'm finished), when I work on Sloane (its a long story for the naming of the 280) I always have left over parts or new repairs as a direct result from my current repair!

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 12:08:12 »
Peter,
You may get away by removing only the radio, unless its the one with the fan switch, in which case the glove box,clock and fan switch have to come off as well. (I think this applies to left hand drive cars as well  :oops: )
Loosen center piece:  To get access to that nut, move all levers to their outer extremes.Should be able to find the stud/nut by feel thru radio hole.A small mirror can help locate this.Can loosen nut by using 10mm 1/4 drive socket.

Now move all levers to the center (vents closed position)and find the nut for the piece you want to swap, and remove. Lift it off slightly to clear stud and slide away from levers.

As usual, fitting is reverse procedure. Sometimes, its very difficult to thread the nut back on the stud as there is room for only one finger. I used a latex glove and stuck the nut to forefinger.
Once threaded, pull of glove. ;)
Hope this helps.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
68 280SL

peterm

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 14:51:28 »
I need more direction, how does a radio get removed?? Is there access through upper speaker grill?? when I drop the nut where will it rest to make a permanent rattle??  I have a frigiking and that likely will be its final resting place.  I fully expect ill need at least three nuts

Naj ✝︎

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 15:09:22 »
Peter,
I dont think removing the speaker grill is going to help in this instance.
Assuming its a Becker radio of the era, all the knobs just pull put.Then the front plate can be eased off with a small flat screw driver. Next you see two bolts with lock nuts holding two plates upright. These lock the radio body against the dash aperture.Undo the lock nuts a turn or two and unscrew the bolt heads a few turns and that should release the two upright plates. The radio can now be pulled out. If some clever guy fitted a strap to secure the radio on the back casing, then it won't just pull out. The back strap will have to be undone. If you have the glove box off, you will be able to see it on the back of the radio.
A small magnet is very useful in finding dropped nuts,washers etc.
Hope this helps.
naj

65 230SL
68 280SL
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 15:12:07 by naj »
68 280SL

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 12:57:23 »
Hi Peter. Any luck? Can you give me the details on the chrome pieces you acquired? Were they new? How mucho? That kind of stuff. Thanks.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

Douglas

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 13:10:15 »
The knobs on a Becker don't necessarily just pull off. Many have a set screw in the side of the knob that requires a tiny jewelers screwdriver to undo.

Douglas Kim
New York, NY
280 SL #016220