Author Topic: Hardtop Storage Box - design tips anyone?  (Read 10697 times)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • United States, New Jersey (formerly of London)
Hardtop Storage Box - design tips anyone?
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:57:23 »
Gentlemen,

Since moving back from the Fatherland - where I had plenty of room - to London - where I have no room - I have had to leave my hardtop on the car in the garage. Consequently, I find that I am not using the car as much as I should, especially since we in the UK have had a string of almost 4 unbroken days without rain (or 'Summer' as we call it).

I don't want to go down the hoist route (won't work in my garage) so the only way I can think of storing the roof is in a box which can then sit on its end. That will provide me protection for the roof, whilst minimising the space it occupies.

Before I set about building one, has anyone else done this? Any tips?? Better yet, anyone got a blue print for the design?

Thanks in advance,

James
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

hauser

Re: Hardtop Storage Box - design tips anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 10:31:51 »
James, what about a storage cart?  They usually come with a cover and are equipped with wheels so that you can easily move it around.  Another idea is place it in the storage cart and wheel it into the box.

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:38 »
I made my own storage cart out of 2X4's, plywood, and casters. I threw an old bedspread over it. Works great.

I have not had the top on my car since I got it home, probably never will. Thought about selling it, but if I do that I'm sure it'll make it more difficult to sell the car should that day come.

66andBlue

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Solana Beach
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 11:40:44 »
James,
here is an interesting solution for a wall mount by a member of the German group:
http://www.pagodentreff.de/diskussionsforum/t5342-hardtop-wandmontage.html
Looks like it is easy to fabricate - there are more pix in the post.

Alfred
1964 230SL manual 4-speed 568H signal red
1966 230SL automatic 334G light blue (sold)
1968 280SL automatic (now 904G midnight blue)

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 13:21:05 »
Hauser and Alfred,

Many thanks indeed. Hauser, I have looked at the carts, but my garage is so tiny there are bruised cat marks all over the walls where swinging tests failed. I don't have room even to stow the cart without fear of damaging it's (very new) respray.

I like that German system, Alfred. Typically ingenious - my wife approved and made some vorsprung durch type-comment before wandering off. Sadly, I don't have the room. (I would post a shot of my garage, but having seen the likes of some - Mr Lews for one - I fear I might lower the overall tone of the website).

So, I fear I must design and build from scratch.

Paddy - I would always keep my top. I drove most recently to S France from N Germany; 2 days at 65mph (Arrhhhghhghggh!!!!!) Anyway, the reduced road noise and added security made a vast difference; we just ditched the top when we got there. Alas I don't have the roof with a sunroof as shown in Alfred's photo, but here's one of my mutts on the trip with us, which I like far more (and the passenger today came second in Best Btich over 7 at the Chiswick House Dog Show - sadly it's gone to her head somewhat - bit of a prima dogga):

JH

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 13:42:59 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

JamesL

• Platinum
  • United Kingdom, London, London
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 03:12:15 »
James

While you are out and about, pop into the AFN in Chiswick

The other lot from Stuttgart do a pretty ingenious hardtop hanger for the Boxster - not dissimilar to that shown below (indeed the pic suggest Alfred already had that idea!!) - that may give you some ideas. :oops:

And as I read you last post I was expecting the Best **** over 7 to be your wife: But only as mine was not there! ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:13:16 by Tosh »
James L
Oct69 RHD 280 in DB906 with cognac leather

cth350

• Regular
  • USA, NY, Rockville Centre
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:01 »
there's a 190SL hardtop shipping container for sale in John Olson's SL Market letter. It's in the US. I guess it would have to be shpped to you inside of itself. -CTH

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 05:31:44 »
Mine's in the basement, but this is what I did.

Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:59:51 »
John

You still play with your dollhouse much ?  ;)

I bought the hardtop stand from http://www.sls-hh-catalogue.de/start/index.phtml . Go to W113 parts, section 79, "Hardtop Unterbringung". Works well, with cover, and wheels.  €178.

Peter
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

thelews

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
  • USA, WI, Mequon
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 16:06:31 »
John

You still play with your dollhouse much ?  ;)

Every chance I get!

Enjoy some pictures at this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603240571101/show/

John - Wisconsin
1967 Early 250 SL Red/Caviar, Manual #1543
1961 190 SL 23K miles
1964 Porsche 356
1970 Porsche 911E
1991 BMW 318is
1966 Jaguar XKE
1971 Alfa Romeo GTV 1750

scoot

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Altadena
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 16:20:47 »

Many thanks indeed. Hauser, I have looked at the carts, but my garage is so tiny there are bruised cat marks all over the walls where swinging tests failed. I don't have room even to stow the cart without fear of damaging it's (very new) respray.

I like that German system, Alfred. Typically ingenious - my wife approved and made some vorsch sprung durch type-comment before wandering off. Sadly, I don't have the room. (I would post a shot of my garage, but having seen the likes of some - Mr Lews for one - I fear I might lower the overall tone of the website).

...as shown in Alfred's photo, but here's one of my mutts on the trip with us,

I'm confused and outraged!

First if all, you want a box to store your hardtop in, but it sounds like you don't have room in your garage for the box, much less the hardtop.  Is that correct?  Second, it sounds like there has been entirely too much cat-swinging going on in the garage.  The cats would prefer you do some dog-swinging to evaluate the space available for storage.   Finally, that's a very nice picture of your doggies in the car.  Oh, and regarding your wife who said "vorsch sprung durch..."    I'm not sure if you are familiar with the television program "Sesame Street", but it sounds to me as though you unknowingly have married "The Swedish Chef".

Scott
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 16:23:14 by scoot »
Scott Allen
'67 250 SL (early)
Altadena, California

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 13:39:53 »
Thanks to Alfred and his detectivery, I have now built my own hardtop storage device, shown here.

I can't tell you how much fun I had doing this. Mostly because I didn't have any fun doing this. However, the hardtop is now off the car and on the wall, which will give me the opportunity to change all the seals and clean the liner (anyone got any tips on which products work??)

I now need to nurse my poor - new - softtop which has been locked away these past 5 months.

Scoot, your German is of a high standard (I don't know what I was thinking when I misspelled that) and your love for felines entirely admirable.

James

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 13:43:57 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

Peter van Es

• Honorary Member
  • Platinum
  • Netherlands, North Holland, Nederhorst Den Berg
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 13:55:19 »
James,

just a quick question on your Rube Goldberg device... what do you have to do to take the hardtop out? Dismantle the contraption, or just remove the wall?

Peter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 13:58:28 by vanesp »
1970 280SL. System Admin of the site. Please do not mail or PM me questions on Pagoda's... I'm not likely to know the answer.  Please post on the forum instead!

jameshoward

• Associate Member
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 15:48:53 »
Peter,

Actually, I have installed a sliding garage roof in order to avoid having to remove my wall. Since it is connected to my neighbours house, such an idea would be ludicrous!

Rube Goldberg aside, and being a Brit, I would better appreciate the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heath_Robinson analogy.

This is especially relevant:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 15:50:45 by jameshoward »
James Howard
1966 LHD 230SL

pj

• Gold
  • Canada, ON, London, Ontario
  • 1965 230SL
    • my home page
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 20:11:32 »
guys,
this is one of the most entertaining threads. But I wonder. . . is it good for the hardtop to be stored nose down like that? As we know, it's a heavy object and having all the weight on the front lip, gee, I'm not sure about that.
Peter J
1965 230SL #09474 named Dagny
2018 B250 4matic named Rigel

Kemal

• Gold
  • United Kingdom, England, London
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 20:46:58 »
I feel nervous just looking at that picture of your Pagoda roof waiting to ..... :-\
( Are you sure??? )

Mines on the floor in the garden shed. :P

We brits don't have the luxury space as the American folks do  ;)
Kemal
280SL
Manual LHD69