Author Topic: Starter inhibitor and reversing lamp switch  (Read 5261 times)

forrestjordan

Starter inhibitor and reversing lamp switch
« on: August 03, 2008, 18:25:11 »
On my '70 280, there is nothing connected to the switch lever.  It is supposed to be manually operated when needed.  I am wondering what the correct manual setting is for normal moderate weather and normal moderate driving conditions.  On what I call the top setting with lever all the way up, the car will not start.  If I put it in that position while running, it will continue to run.  I presume that is normal.  What are the next steps down supposed to do for operating performance?  Any suggestions  :?:   I am really not sure what any of it is for in the first place.

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
Re: Starter inhibitor and reversing lamp switch
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 15:41:50 »
This is the brown switch, about the size of a deck of playing cards (approx) on the firewall? If so, there should be a cable that runs to the transmission. This is the neutral lock out switch. It allows the connection to be made for the starter with the car in either park or neutral. If the car is running, the switch is out of the circuit, consider when driving, if the transmission is placed into drive, the car continues to run, as you have seen once you start the car and then move the lever.

This is how it works for my car, which is an automatic transmission. I don't know how the manual tranny set up works.

I am traveling and am not able to see which position is which (lever to the top, etc) but I am sure someone else will be able to answer.
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

forrestjordan

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 05:18:52 »
Jonny,
Yes, that is the right part you describe, and it is an automatic trans...  There is an electric cable going to it but no metal rod that goes up to the front and attaches to the lever in front, like the older models.  The book I have says that was a change and is correct like that with no rod attached.  My question is which setting should I manually set the lever at.  I moved it when detailing and don't know which setting to return it to.  Is it possible that electric cable automatically sets it when driving?  I too have the same problem, when driving, the hood is down and I can't see up there from the drivers seat!

Jonny B

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, CA, San Marcos
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:55:15 »
There should be an electrical cable connection, these are the various electrical circuits that would enable the starter to engage depending on the position of the transmission gear. These are on the output side, and would not affect the operation of the switch.

I am stumped if you have some reference that states this was changed. As far as I know, there is a cable (not a rod) that runs from the shifting mechanism to the lever arm on the switch. Any automatic 113 (LHD) should be set that way.

Consider - when the shift lever is in "P" it is at the bottom of the shift gate, which should put the lever at the top most position, for certain do not take that as certain. You are catching me when I am traveling again, and I will not be able to look at the set up on my car until the end of the week.

Is the switch new? Could there be a problem with that?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 05:56:15 by Jonny B »
Jonny B
1967 250 SL Auto, DB 568
1970 280 SL Auto, DB 904
1966 Morris Mini Minor

bpossel

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 11:28:23 »
Attached is a picture of my neutral safety switch.  Note that in the picture it is disconnected.  Just yesterday I connected it.  I found the easiest way to install it correctly was to move the lever until the backup lights came on (key on, engine not running). Move the gear shifter in "R" reverse position.  Then adjust the cable so that it connects to the lever.  I adjusted it by means of the 17mm nut.  Run it through the gears (park, neutral, backup, etc...).
You will note that in Park, the lever is all the way down.  In drive, the lever is up.
Bob  :)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:42:03 by bpossel »