Author Topic: Mobil 1 - Oil Change Redux  (Read 11951 times)

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
Mobil 1 - Oil Change Redux
« on: April 07, 2008, 15:59:12 »
As those of us in the northern climates begin to think about oil and other fluid changes, old information from last year bears repeating for out newcomers.

If you are going to use synthetic oil, Mobil 1, the only Mobil 1 to use is their 15W-50.  This is hard to find.  None of the chain stores near me have it including Pep Boys, Autozone, etc. and nobody wants to order it either.  It is available on the internet.  Last year, Costco had it (gone for this season) but I did find it at Sam's Club and you might find it at some WalMarts.

From Mobil: Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 is formulated to provide outstanding engine protection for high performance engines and for consumers who want a higher viscosity oil and higher anti-wear performance ( ZDDP) than typically required by modern vehicles.

That last line is the key: most synthetics lack the proper anti-wear performance since ZDDP was eliminated.  Mobil 1 15W50 will work in our engines, and in fact is the only Mobil 1 to use.

One other point: there are two different "versions" of this formulation; the regular (silver cap on bottle) and extended service (15,000 mile) and that one has a gold cap.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Signal Red 568G w/Black Leather (Restored)
President, International Stars Section
Mercedes-Benz Club of America
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 13:55:57 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
Davidson, North Carolina (Charlotte Area) USA
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid "Area 51"
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

Mike Hughes

• Platinum
  • USA, VA, Blue Grass
Re: Mobil 1 - Oil Change Redux
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 16:53:02 »
I have been using Mobil 1 15W-50 in both my 300D and 230SL for a while now.  I find it on the shelf at my local Advance Auto Parts.

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havanna Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

- Mike Hughes  -ô¿ô-
  1966 230SL Auto P/S
  Havana Brown (408)
  Light Beige (181)
  Cream M-B Tex (121)

Richard Madison

• Inactive
  • Platinum
  • USA, NY, New York
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 04:36:13 »
Some time ago (a long time ago) I worked for Mobil when its headquarters was on 42nd Street in Manhattan, NYC.

I had a '66 Mustang at that time. A Mobil lubricant techy told me that if a vintage car still has its original seals it is not a good idea  to switch to synthetic oil. The synthetics seems to get past the old seals on some cars.

This was when synthetics were fairly new.  Perhaps today's synthetics are no longer a problem and not many cars still have the old seals but I thought I'd pass this on for what it's worth.

Richard M, NYC
1969 280 SL, Tunis Beige, Euro Model (Italy).

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 06:09:24 »
There's been a lot of back and forth on the seal issue; the synthetic manufacturers claim there's no truth to it.  What the manufacturer's official position is, is that IF you have worn or poor seal, or "pinhole leaks" in them, the synthetics will find those little leaks, will find those poor seals and exploit them, as it were.  I have not had any issues one way or another after I switched to Mobil 1; but my engine was rebuilt 10K miles ago.  Bob Geco used it once (not a rebuilt engine) and leaks sprung up all over.  Who is right?  I don't know.

The important point of my post was that the lack of ZDDP in synthetics caused a problem that the association of engine rebuilders discovered in premature engine failure (American Engine Rebuilder's Association [AERA] Bulletin #TB2333); a pattern emerged, they discussed it and at least, Mobil rose to the challenge to address it last year by re-introducing 15W-50 specifically to address the wear issue.  There might be some people saying "don't use synthetics in old engines" and while this may be true it isn't true for new Mobil 1 15W-50.  You don't have to use it of course, but the issue was corrected in that specific formulation, and that formulation [15W-50] only.

Second point is availability.  Mike Hughes can find it easily, but in the auto parts stores here in metro Detroit it isn't commonly available.  I tried last year, no luck.  They did have it at Costco, and had it all last year, but this season it's gone.  They did have it at Sam's Club.  Of course availability will vary by region.  I bring up availability since if you choose to use it, MAYBE it might be a little hard to find--simply a forewarning.  There's nothing more frustrating then doing your research, deciding on a product, and then NOT being able to find it!

Doc uses Amsoil.  I can't speak to the quality of its products, but the way it is sold and distributed is uncommon.  It isn't sold over the counter at the retail level but only through "dealers".  A check of the "dealers" close to me yielded three people (including one of my neighbors who is a NWA airline pilot!)who operate out of their homes!  Not home/shops and legitimate businesses like Doc's, but just normal peoples homes.  That does not sit well with me.  If the product is so good why is there this peculiar marketing model?  Do I really want to go to somebody's house in a subdivision to buy motor oil?

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 07:36:57 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 08:02:22 »
I was told that Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck has the best additives for anti-wear (of the Mobil 1 oils only) and is not only acceptable but better for gas engines.  I don't know if this is true or not.  

I have also read that Mobil 1 Synthetic oils are Group III, while Amsoil is Group IV, making Amsoil the better choice.  If you perform a website search, articles can be found about Exxon suing Castrol for not being a true synthetic oil.  After Exxon lost, they changed Mobil 1 oil to a Group III and lowered production costs.  

How true all of this is???  I don't know!  I was using Amsoil but know use Mobil 1 because I'm too lazy to mail order Amsoil.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 12:24:41 by JPMOSE »
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 09:31:18 »
JP,

Regarding the diesel classification you might be onto something there; one of our local MBCA members, has a racing 300SL Gullwing and a 300SL Roadster, and he has sworn off the synthetic, and gone to diesel rated regular oil, Shell Rotella I believe is his favorite.  That's also the oil that the local independent uses on the old cars.  Of course that was BEFORE the reformulated 15W50.

The lawsuit issue, for what its worth, is more of a matter of semantics, but for those who want a bathroom read the link below.  Keep in mind the end result, is "use Amsoil" and clearly it is info from an Amsoil dealer.

http://www.syntheticsbestoil.com/mobil.htm

From wiki regarding the oil classes:

Lubricant base stocks are categorized into five groups by the API. Group I base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum which is further refined with solvent extraction processes to improve certain properties such as oxidation resistance and to remove wax. Group II base stocks are composed of fractionally distilled petroleum that has been hydrocracked to further refine and purify it. Group III base stocks have similar characteristics to Group II base stocks, except that Group III base stocks have higher viscosity indexes. Group III base stocks are produced by further hydrocracking of Group II base stocks, or of hydroisomerized slack wax, (a byproduct of the dewaxing process). Group IV base stock are polyalphaolefins (PAOs). Group V is a catch-all group for any base stock not described by Groups I to IV. Examples of group V base stocks include polyol esters, polyalkylene glycols (PAG oils), and perfluoropolyalkylethers (PFPAEs). Groups I and II are commonly referred to as mineral oils, group III is typically referred to as synthetic (except in Germany and Japan, where they must not be called synthetic) and group IV is a synthetic oil. Group V base oils are so diverse that there is no catch-all description.

From Exxon Mobil:

Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?

Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Make your own decisions--the best bet is to change it regularly.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 15:13:40 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 09:36:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.
I wouldn't be afraid to buy your oil from the guy down the street....

Well the problem is he doesn't stock anything...most of these guys (not a real shop like you) are just order takers.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

JPMOSE

• Gold
  • USA, DE, Harbeson
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 12:50:15 »
Michael...what's great about Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck is it is fully synthetic as well.  I have considered it for my Pagoda.  I use the Mobil 1 15W-50 in my 560SL currently.

Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1987 560SL
Best Regards,

J. P. Mose
1968 250SL
1970 280SE 3.5 Cabriolet
1987 560SL

Paddy_Crow

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 16:53:06 »
quote:
Originally posted by mdsalemi

JP,

Regarding the diesel classification you might be onto something there; one of our local MBCA members, has a racing 300SL Gullwing and a 300SL Roadster, and he has sworn off the synthetic, and gone to diesel rated regular oil, Shell Rotella I believe is his favorite.  That's also the oil that the local independent uses on the old cars.  Of course that was BEFORE the reformulated 15W50.

Shell Rotella CJ-4 is a semi-synthetic.

doitwright

• Gold
  • USA, IL, Willowbrook
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 21:15:57 »
Are there any additional preparations needed after draining the oil and changing the filter if one decides to switch from a petroleum based oil to a synthetic?

What about switching back again if there are too many leaks?

What about that oil that remains in the injection pump?

Lastly, while on tne subject, does anyone believe there is any benefit to using a "Motor Flush" or similar type product?

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory
Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Originally Light Ivory - Now Anthracite Gray Metallic

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 07:33:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by doitwright

Are there any additional preparations needed after draining the oil and changing the filter if one decides to switch from a petroleum based oil to a synthetic?

What about switching back again if there are too many leaks?

What about that oil that remains in the injection pump?

Lastly, while on tne subject, does anyone believe there is any benefit to using a "Motor Flush" or similar type product?

Frank Koronkiewicz
Willowbrook, Illinois

1970 280SL Light Ivory

Frank,

While I'm no expert on oils, I can relate what I've heard and believe to be true.

First, I believe most synthetics are compatible with conventional oils.  So, the little oil that remains in your engine blends fine with the new oil that goes in.  No additional work required.

Second, you can return to conventional oils at your next oil change.  Bob Geco had all kinds of leaks and went back without issue I believe.  I would guess he isn't the only one to have done so either.

I'd pose that motor flush question to the MBCA Technical Advisor, and or ask it directly of some of the more experienced engine mechanics we have here, such as Dr. Benz, JA17 et al.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 08:30:30 »
quote:
Originally posted by Benz Dr.

Mike?  So, what's the problem with placing an order for oil? If it was snake oil I'd say keep looking but this is a very reputable operation with high quality products. I've been using it for over 25 years and I've never had an oil related problem. I know that this product is high quiality and no, I'm not a dealer.

You order stuff from other places don't you? Just because it's the guy down the street doesn't mean the product will be bad. I'd be happy to have a dealer that close to me so I wouldn't have to drive an hour just to get some...

Dan Caron's
 SL Barn
benzbarn@ebtech.net
 slbarn.mbz.org
  1 877 661 6061

Dan,

It's called "value added".  Amsoil sells the stuff directly on their website.  Aside from some bs'ing and fun with my neighbor and friend down the street, and allowing him a modicum of profit, why would I order from him?  What purpose is being served by allowing a guy in a suburb subdivision (yes that's where I live!)to simply take orders for something?  What value is he adding to the distribution process?  He's just a middleman--he doesn't stock much, he has no investment in the operation, he isn't a lubricant engineer (he's a commercial airline pilot) he just takes orders and does this for fun--initially to simply get product for himself.  Note that many of these distribution models--think Amway, Fuller Brush, Avon, etc. the majority of end users are the distributors...It's finally being discovered in the USA at least, that we can't base an economy--our economy--on people who simple push paper and product.  You have to have value added--plain and simple.  His value added might be a wealth of inventory.  That's not the case.

The digital age and the internet have changed the nature of the logistics and distribution methods of many companies who choose to embrace it.

Case in point.  I had a massive failure of a check valve in my car wash last week.  The distributor/retailer (though they don't operate out of a garage)are what amounts to order takers who have no clue what the issue was.  On the phone to the manufacturer, I understand the issue--such a smart company, even the mature woman receptionist who answered the phone was the one who knew my problem and how to solve it.  They offer a rebuild kit with different material parts that will prevent the problem from happening in the future.  Great I said, send me 10 kits.  "No can do".  "We don't sell to end users, you have to go through the distributor".  Great.  I call back the distributor and since it isn't a standard part, they have NO CLUE what I'm talking about.  They took the information, and promised to get back to me.  Since this isn't a standard issue assignment, it goes on the back burner, and several days later I had not heard from them.  Finally after a prompting call, they call me back, give me a price ($5.00 each kit) but say it is a special order and will take 7-10 days.  Fine, I said, just take the order and let's get moving.  So they do.  10 days go by, no goods.  I call them again, they promise to call back after investigation.  Finally a few days later--drop shipped from the manufacturer--my parts show up.  My goodness.  Do you think EVERYONE would have been better served if the manufacturer simply put the parts in the box and sent them to me?  That's what happened anyway!  It just took the interference of a middleman distributor to gum things up, delay the order.  They did nothing of value.  They didn't stock the part; they had no clue what my issue was, and didn't deal with it in a timely or proper fashion.  The manufacturer, who does not even have a website (good products but behind the times) is clinging to an old distribution model.  I needed some peculiar parts for my kitchen faucet last year, and Moen's tech support listened; told me what the issue was, sent me the required parts for free directly.  They did not make me go to a distributor.  I would have had the same issue I just told you about.  A distributor would not have had the parts; would have had to special order them, and would have not performed any value added.  Moen knows how to handle these things.

I wish I could say this is the exception but it is often times the rule.  I do SO MUCH BETTER on ordering and buying things when I am dealing directly with the manufacturer, almost without exception.  They know the product; are more likely to stock it; can deal with special circumstances and can usually deal with shipping easier too.

I bought hundreds of parts to restore my car.  Annually I buy many to keep my car wash machinery running.  It operates from over 100 degree F to well below zero; it does this with water being blasted every which way at 38 GPM and 1,200 psi, and lots of moving parts.  It's done over 40,000 washes in 5 years.  Needless to say there's a LOT of maintenance, and I spend a lot of time buying parts.  I'm not a novice at the procurement process, nor in understanding distribution models and what works best.

That's why, when someone posts here about looking for something and I reply, I often have a name/address/phone/website or email contact.

Someone inquired about fasteners recently.  There's a Canadian chain called Brafasco that has an office here in Michigan.  If they have what I need, great--I usually buy it (but they recently instituted a USD $25 minimum for other the counter sales).  But if they don't, "ordering in" something is just too troublesome.  The internet vendors are just simply easier to deal with.  MB dropped most of their fasteners recently--not worth keeping inventory on!

So in the case of Amsoil, pretend the guy down the street was not my friend.  What possible reason would I have to order from him versus Amsoil's own website?  I'd feel safer ordering on a secure website with a charge card from a reputable company, than meeting a guy in the garage who only takes cash--even if they are selling the same product.  It's about distribution models and value added.

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 09:59:31 by mdsalemi »
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:07:12 »
Dan,

Notice NOTHING I've said has or had anything to do with the product or the quality, merely the distribution.

Here's how they sell it today in addition to their distributors:

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx

But I can tell you, at USD $8.40 per quart I'm not about to order any soon.  I paid USD $30.00 ($5.00) per quart for the Mobil 1 at Sam's Club last week, a bit more than last year which was about $28.00 at Costco.  Add the shipping to the on-line store price and it's bordering on twice the cost of an already premium-priced product of Mobil 1 or similar products from Castrol, Valvoline, etc.

But I will stop down at my friend's and get some Amsoil ATF however, at the appropriate time.

To answer your question, aside from stock/no stock, lag time if he does not have it, and the issue of accepting payment via CC, no I would not have a problem with going to my friend.  But I can tell you I do not agree with--at all--Amsoil's business model, and I don't like buying things from a guy's garage...

Michael Salemi
1969 280SL
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 01:56:22 »
As of May 2009, Mobil 1 extended performance 15/50 is no longer being manufactured. What's the next choice?
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo

mdsalemi

• Pagoda SL Board
  • Platinum
  • USA, NC, Davidson
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 13:38:45 »
As of May 2009, Mobil 1 extended performance 15/50 is no longer being manufactured. What's the next choice?

I just spoke with Mobil1 this morning, 6/25/09.  The product is still available, and still detailed on their website:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx

That does not mean you would have an easy time finding it on a shelf, but it is there.  Your regular auto parts store, or independent service facility that uses Mobil products should be able to get it for you--they will probably have to order it with their next pallet of 5W30 or whatever else they order from ExxonMobil.  There are other places to order it online, such as:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Supersyn-Fully-Synthetic-15W-50/dp/B000O92X2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1245936649&sr=8-1

http://www.mobil1racingstore.com/mo115sin.html

http://www.maperformance.com/mobil-1-15w50-synthetic-motor-oil.html

The tech rep said that this formulation (which was briefly NOT produced in 2007 I believe) does have "advanced levels" of ZDDP (zinc dithiophosphate) which is the lubricant needed for older valve train designs.  The MSDS sheet, available on the website, lists ZDDP has an ingredient in less than 2.5%.  A random check of other MSDS data on other Mobil1 products does not list ZDDP.  Thus, this formulation is the one to use.

Andy, you might be confusing this formulation with an "Extended Performance" formulation of the same 15W50 weight; the obvious difference is in the cap color.  EP has a gold cap.  This formulation--the one you want if you want Mobil1--has a silver cap that matches the bottle.

Hope this helps.
Michael Salemi
1969 280SL (USA-Spec)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid
2023 Ford Escape Hybrid

awolff280sl

• Gold
  • USA, FL, Sarasota
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 17:21:38 »
Thanks Michael. I had been using the gold cap, but will try the silver cap now.
Andy   Sarasota, FL
'69 280SL 4speed
'06 Mitsubishi Evo