Author Topic: AC causes drain on battery  (Read 13572 times)

mjp8877

AC causes drain on battery
« on: September 07, 2007, 09:45:23 »
Hi. I have a 1971 280sl. Whenever I turn on AC there is a drain on battery and I cant restart the car. The battery is good. The alternator is new (35 amps as recommended in original model). We put in a new voltage regulator but it only got us 1 more amp to work with. The mechanic is recommending a new alternator this time with more amps than was originally on the car. If I dont run AC there is no problem. AC checked out OK. Anyone with any suggestions? Mike

Michael J. Price

al_lieffring

Re: AC causes drain on battery
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 10:17:01 »
Michael

Will the car restart if the a/c switch is turned off?

Unlike most cars that had factory installed air conditioning, the Frigking unit that was dealer installed in these cars doesn't have a compressor cut out relay that disconects the power to the compressor clutch when the starter is cranking. Having the compressor engaged adds a lot of extra load onto the starter motor when the A/C is switched on.

I agree with the mechanic too, a 35amp alternator is too small for a car equipped with A/C. I remember the 280s as having a 55 amp alternator, most modern cars have a 85 amp or larger alternator, usualy 100 amps.

Maybee a combination of adding a clutch cut out relay and more chaging capacity is what you will need to get your car starting properly.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

mjp8877

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 12:44:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by al_lieffring

Michael

Will the car restart if the a/c switch is turned off?

Unlike most cars that had factory installed air conditioning, the Frigking unit that was dealer installed in these cars doesn't have a compressor cut out relay that disconects the power to the compressor clutch when the starter is cranking. Having the compressor engaged adds a lot of extra load onto the starter motor when the A/C is switched on.

I agree with the mechanic too, a 35amp alternator is too small for a car equipped with A/C. I remember the 280s as having a 55 amp alternator, most modern cars have a 85 amp or larger alternator, usualy 100 amps.

Maybee a combination of adding a clutch cut out relay and more chaging capacity is what you will need to get your car starting properly.

Al Lieffring
66 230Sl
Jones'n for a new gas tank

Michael J. Price

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 13:05:23 »
Michael,

Check your switch also; if it's burned out or wonky it could cause your problem too.  I had mine replaced last spring...

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...
Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Austrian Alps
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...

mjp8877

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 16:47:56 »
When I run car with ac on, then turn off motor I have to jump start battery to get it going, even if I switch ac off. I guess I will go along with mechanic with an alternator with more amps than was on the original car (35 amps)

Michael J. Price

Roman Kishi

• Regular
  • USA, VA, Fairfax
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 13:29:47 »
Trice

"Check your switch also". Do you meen the A/C Switch on the A/C unit?

Roman
Northern Virginia
280 1969,Signal Red, Auto
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 13:30:30 by rkishi »
Roman
Northern Virginia
280 1969,Signal Red,Parchment Leather, Auto, A/C