Author Topic: VIN Decoder for W113?  (Read 7408 times)

Danesgate

VIN Decoder for W113?
« on: August 05, 2007, 14:46:50 »
I have found a few sites that will decode Mercedes VINs, but only 1980 onwards when the standard 17 figure number was required.

Is there somewhere I can see the build spec of a car built in the 1960s?

Cheers

J. Huber

• Platinum
  • USA, CA, Cedar Ridge
Re: VIN Decoder for W113?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 16:11:25 »
Hey Danesgate. Each of our cars came with what is known as a data card. Copies are still available and can be faxed -- sometimes the same day! From the US, the contact is the Mercedes Benz Classic Center at 1-866-622-5277. If you are outside the US, it might be a little different but still not difficult. Once you have that little guy -- there is lots of helpful info here to decipher it all. Good luck.

James
63 230SL
James
63 230SL

ptomey

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 19:09:38 »
I requested my data card right away when I got my car. They (MB Classic) keep these things on microfilm and e-mailed me copy. I got a ton of great info however, they apologized that that some of the data was obscured  due to the original transfer to microfilm and they recommended that I purchase a Mercedes Benz Classic Certificate for about $125. I thought it might be kind of cool to order so I asked them if it would have the missing data.

Their standard response was from the marketing material, “…the certificate identifies your vehicle's features when it rolled off the assembly line, blah, blah, blah…”

Long story short, several calls and e-mails and still nobody at MB Classic can tell me if the Certificate will have the missing data and if so, what possible source could exist other than the obscured data card.

Any thoughts?

Paul Tomey
Tierra Verde,FL

1968 280SL Light Ivory (Enjoy)
2002 Porsche 996TT (Track)
2003 Van Dieman Formula Car (Race)
2006 Yukon Denali (Tow Cars and Haul Kids)

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 00:53:10 »
Hi Guys,

Paul is justifiably skeptical--there are quite a few others on this forum who have ordered the fancy certificate, but I've never heard whether the missing data are included.  It makes sense that the transfer to microfiche occurred early on, and then the classic centre got the idea of the certificate, but maybe I'm wrong way round.

My datenblatt has big black stripes through it, but He Who Must Be Obeyed speaks fluent German and between what's on this forum (search for "data card") and the guys at the Karlsruhe Merc dealership, he was able to fill in the missing boxes.  At least they didn't cover up my colours or any really important boxes.

Trice
1968 280SL US, signal red/bl leather, auto, kinder seat
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Think of your Pagoda as a woman with a past...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 00:53:48 by France »
Trice
Austrian Alps

graphic66

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 07:26:53 »
I think the blacked out boxes are the key numbers. It is a security measure. Someone could use your vin to get keys made with the data card.

France

• Silver
  • Austria, Vorarlberg, Schruns
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:57:25 »
The black stripes seem to be random; some go through unimportant areas, others simply cut off part of the German word.  Looks more like a really bad scan job!

Trice
Sarasota FL; Alsace France; Switzerland
Trice
Austrian Alps

Rolf

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:38:26 »
I ordered a data card and got one back with the black stripes throughit. The key codes where covered up. I asked for a data card with the key codes and was required to send in a copy of the title with my name on it. It is a security measure as Graphic mentioned.

Rolf
1966 230SL Auto
1992 300D
1991 FLHS