Author Topic: A/C Compressor Belt  (Read 1760 times)

Benzorrific

A/C Compressor Belt
« on: April 24, 2018, 23:10:31 »
New member here. I'm having a heck of a time putting on the new A/C compressor belts on my 1970 280SL. It's the 13x1075 belt, same as the old one. The idler pulley is completely released and I don't see any other adjusters.

I've done some searching on the forum but can't seem to find anyone else who's had this problem (which makes me think it's something obvious I'm not doing, ha ha).

Any tricks, or am I just not putting enough elbow grease into it?

Montreal V8

Re: A/C Compressor Belt
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:34:49 »
  Hi. When I replaced the original compressor with a Sanden, I had the same problem. I seem to recall leaving the mounting bolts out  to get the belt on, then fitting them after.  I also seem to recall difficulty, and numerous blasphemous  mutterings !!
  Cheers,  Dale.

450sl

• Silver
  • Netherlands, Gelderland, zelhem
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:41 »
Just remember there are  extra specifications given on the 1075  lenght  ; either   LI or La

Li = belt inner length
La = belt outer length

mark

Benzorrific

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 20:46:28 »
Thanks, Dale. I'm having another crack at it this afternoon and I'll keep that in mind.

Mark, thanks for that note, too. Pretty sure they're the same, new and old, as they match up next to one another. But I don't have them in front of me right now so it's something to check on.

Benzorrific

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 21:00:42 »
Hi again Dale,

Sorry to be obtuse, but which mounting bolts did you undo?

Montreal V8

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 00:50:26 »
  Hi again. Sorry but I realize now I had overlooked the fact I had to fit an adaptor bracket for the Sanden. Afraid my advice was a little misleading, and I can't remember if it was the adaptor bolts, the compressor bolts, or a combination. Again, apologies.  Dale.

Benzorrific

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 20:38:28 »
No problem! I was able to get them on yesterday with a bit of work. This afternoon I'll take a crack at the alternator and power steering belts. All the best,