Author Topic: Need some Help on my Break Fluid Reservoir  (Read 2682 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
Need some Help on my Break Fluid Reservoir
« on: August 23, 2017, 18:30:02 »
Condition;

See Photo 1; The center Control panel light (# 4 in photo - denoting low break fluid or door open) has been flashing for some time and now the warning light is on all the time.

What I’ve done so far;

Had the break fluid changed and lines bleed, fluid is up to the Max level mark on the break fluid reservoir. Warning light remains in the on position. Checked all wiring they are all okay.

Findings;

See photo 2; Found that the float level in the front reservoir section is defective and has oil in it that now keeps the float at the bottom of the reservoir. This then is the source of the warning light being on all the time trying to tell me that the break fluid level is low.

Questions;

a) Can the float be repaired?
b) Are replacement floats available?
c) or must I replace the entire break fluid reservoir?
d) anyone had similar issues and what did you do?

Your help to the above questions is very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Dieter
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
Re: Need some Help on my Break Fluid Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 20:52:06 »
As far as a replacement float switch - http://www.authenticclassics.com/230SL-250SL-280SL-Convertible-113-Chassis-s/1.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&search=brake%20reservoir&show=36&page=1

Might try there as they sell the complete assembly. They might also sell the switches separate, I don't know. Be sure to replace all of the O-rings as well. The Classic Center might also sell the switches as they did a few years ago. Pretty straight forward to replace.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Garry

• Platinum
  • Australia, Victoria, Kyneton
  • Audit Committee
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 22:36:06 »
Rolf-Dieter,

Had a similar problem and Dr Benz came to the rescue with another float.  The pin hole is usually so fine that you cannot find it and thus a throw away item.  Give Dan a call and see if he has another float.

Garry
Garry Marks
Melbourne/ Kyneton, Brisbane. Australia
1969 MB 280SL 5 speed RHD SOLD.
1965 MB 230SL Auto RHD Lt Blue 334G, Top 350H, 213 Leather, Tourist Delivery.
1972 MB 280CE Auto RHD 906G Blue Grey
2005 MB A200.
2006 MB B200
2019 Izuzu DMax 4x4 with Slide-on camper.
2022 Volvo XC40 Twin Electric

wwheeler

• Vendor
  • Platinum
  • USA, TX, Dallas
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 23:59:57 »
I just noticed that the reservoir in the picture is the newer version replacement, not the old rounded original style. Be careful and check which floats you have on the switch body. I believe the old original floats have a brass rod and an C clip that hold the float to the switch. The newer floats have a plastic stem and not sure they interchange.

The attached link shows the reservoir that is a remake of the original style.
Wallace
Texas
'68 280SE W111 coupe
'60 220SE W128 coupe
'70 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 01:26:10 »
Thanks Wallace and Garry for the information.

Wallace,

The reservoir picture attached above is not from my car (I just posted it since I had that nice clean engine bay on my photo file as reference), I believe my reservoir is original. I will take a picture tomorrow and post it to confirm.

My plan is to take a photo of the float, mail it to Tom at the Classic Centre perhaps he cn bring a replacement plus "O-Rings" to PUB for me.

Thanks for your help!

Dieter

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 23:50:37 »
Just as a follow up, I've isolated the front float for the time-being so that I don't look at the warning light all the time (it's enough to take the fun out off driving :( ). Yes, I will keep an eye on the front Max level each time I fill up with gas, after all opening the bonnet was part of the getting gas in the olden days :)

Dieter

PS. Just for INFO. I have 2 sources looking for a spare float and if they find one they will contact me. One is a very helpful Member here and the other one is Tom at the Classic Centre. Tom tells me a) replacement floats are very hard to come by and b) they found a vendor that makes replacement Brake Fluid Reservoirs, complete with the floats. Tom is waiting for a request he made if spare floats are available, however, he is still waiting for a reply.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:02:52 by Rolf-Dieter »