Author Topic: Questions re: Paint code and Exhaust  (Read 2803 times)

Moe

Questions re: Paint code and Exhaust
« on: August 22, 2017, 14:03:04 »
Hi - I am a new member to this forum and I just purchased a 1966 230SL.  I have two questions where I need advise:

a) According to my VIN/Chassis details I have a paint code of 670H.  Could someone please tell me what is the best way to get this paint.  Tried few dealers in Northern California - they are unable to help.

b) I am getting the exhaust replaced.  While I have been able to source all the MBZ OEM parts I have read on the forum that the pipes from exhaust manifold to the center muffler (Part # 113-490-02-19) does not fit the "earlier" model of 230SL.  Mine is later model car (1966) and I wanted to find out if anyone has any experience re: this topic.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Moe

DaveB

• Gold
  • Australia, Western Australia, Lathlain
Re: Questions re: Paint code and Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 21:34:04 »
Hi Moe,
a) Most Mercedes dealers are not interested in old cars, so try a reputable autobody shop instead. Is your car still 670 (light ivory)?
b) 113 490 02 19 is for 230SL to VIN 13864, manufactured September 1965. 113 490 09 20 is for later 230SL and I believe all 250 & 280SL. So if your VIN is > 13864 and the motor is original you need 113 490 09 20.
DaveB
'65 US 230sl 4-speed, DB190

Moe

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:47 »
Hi Dave - thanks for the pointers and information. Yes, indeed my car is indeed light ivory. All I am looking for. Some touch-up paint for few chips. I will look for a local reputable body paint shop and will pay them to have some made - I guess custom for the car.

Also, the last six digits of my 230SL vin number are indeed < 13864 (mine starts with 0xxxx) so I should be good with the part number ending on 19.  I do. When I bought the car I was told that the engine is original (not doubting the info) but I am the 4th owner. Is there a way to check if the engine is indeed original?

Thanks again!

/Moe
1966 230SL
2005 CL55
2010 E350

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 07:23:01 »
Moe, have you gone through the Technical Manual? You have it in the menu bar on this webpage. You will find lots of information there on paint sourcing for both H and G coding as well as about the engines and their numbering and how to read the data card.

As for the paint - I am sure members from your area will throw in proper addresses. I had a G paint, so I ordered it straight from Glazurit. Also a Mercedes dealer mixed a tin for me to have it at hand. You may want to check - could be that your color is available at Mercedes (some of them are). If your paintwork is old and has therefore a bit different colour than a fresh one, you may need to get your car (or piece of it, but I cannot think of a piece of Pagoda to detach, glove box lid would not work as it is inside) to the paint shop who then can use scanner/computer to prepare a matching colour.

If I remember correctly early and late exhaust pipes look differently at their manifold end. If you go to www.sls-hh-shop.de and go to exhaust picture you will see the difference and then when you look at your engine/manifold you will know which one you need.

If you are replacing exhaust pipe, you may want to look at all the gear for hanging it (search forum) - there are rubber pieces and insulation that usually need to be replaced. I would also check out heat screens - if I have them all, etc.

You may also want to explore parts suppliers other than Mercedes. SLS is one of them, but you will find a full list in the Technical Manual. Sometimes we source parts from Mercedes, sometimes not, depending on availability, pricing, originality or other features (e.g. soft top compartment seals). It is a whole knowledge -where to source what and this forum is very helpful in this respect - usually it is enough to use the Search button.

Bythe way: you will find lots of discussions on exhaust replacement...
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Moe

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 14:49:00 »
Thanks Pawel for the info.

StevenF

• Silver
  • USA, NY, Merrick