Author Topic: My Visit to AMG One Man One Engine in Affalterbach Germany  (Read 5877 times)

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
    • Best Pagoda Site second to none!
One of my destinations during my trip to Europe this year was to visit the AMG One Man One Engine in Affalterbach Germany. On July 16 I visited the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart and later that day I took the S-Bahn as far as it would take me north in the direction of Affalterbach so that I would be near by the Engine Plant in the morning my private tour was at 9am on Monday July 17. I share some photos here with you.

History if one should be interested on the AMG Story ....

Can be found here ---->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-AMG

My guide provided a most interesting 2 hour tour. He started by explaining in detail how 2 Mercedes Engineers started the company on there own once they were no longer required to fine tuning of Mercedes engines for the raising sport and how they were rejoined with Mercedes later once there work was in high demand. We then toured thru a section of the plant were customers shipped there cars to perform special work on them. One customer had his 300SL Gullwing in the shop to have it completely modernized inside as well as for the engine. We both agreed what a mistake this is and joked about that the car might be returned some day in future by a new owner to reverse all this work to bring the car back to original.

We then visited a special area where customers can pick materials for the interior as well as colours. Some people ask for colours that are not standard. One couple after they were married and ordered there car ask for a very special light blue exterior colour the same as there wedding theme colour. Special family logos can be engraved into the seats backrests i.e. whatever the customer wants.

The tour of the engine assembly was next. There are 2 floors, on each floor some 20 Individuals assembling engines. I used individuals since there are also women assembling engines. They work 2 shifts and on one shift an individual assembles 2 1/2 engines. The engine is mounted on a cart and each individual has a dedicated parking spot were a uncompleted engine is parked until he/she returns for the next shift. Each engine assembly component and assembly step is scanned into the computer during the assembly. At the end of the assembly the completed engine is couppled to a electric motor in a sophisticated test stand and completely cold tested to check that everything is according to specification.

Needless to say it was a very impressive private tour, I did not have a chance to meet the gentleman that build my engine for he was promoted to the development area.

Enjoy the photos (some of them were taken on July 16 at the AMG Section of the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart)

Dieter

Edit; corrected some typos... don't you hate autocorrect ... I do!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:30:37 by Rolf-Dieter »
DD 2011 SL 63 AMG and my 69 Pagoda 280 SL

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
Re: My Visit to AMG One Man One Engine in Affalterbach Germany
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 20:31:30 »
Next 4 Photos
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:31:18 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 20:34:21 »
Next 4 Photos
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:31:34 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 20:45:20 »
Accommodations were first class and within walking distance to the engine plant. The Villa was once home to one of the AMG founding Engineers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:31:49 by Rolf-Dieter »

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 20:51:55 »
At the end of the tour we went to the Private AMG Lounge. That day there were 3 individuals given a private tour and AMG hoists the Countries Flag, a very nice touch.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:32:03 by Rolf-Dieter »

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 21:42:37 »
Rolf-Dieter,

Thank you for this most interesting post! It is a fantastic story!

Pawel
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:32:22 by Rolf-Dieter »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 22:04:38 »
My pleasure Pawel, I thought I share it not everyone has a chance to see this life. There are videos on the internet, however, to experience it in person is just so much different. I was really impressed to see a lady do this kind of work. I understand there are 8 plus woman on the team.

This video is as close to what I experienced ....

Here ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlw6Z2p2Tk

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:32:40 by Rolf-Dieter »

Pawel66

• Platinum
  • Poland, Mazowieckie, Konstancin-Jeziorna
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:04:48 »
To me it is a bit like travelling by airplane. 50 years ago, or even maybe 30 years ago this was an adventure. Today you feel like a bag of potatoes being moved from place to place. I am not saying it is wrong as today many more people can afford travel and the world became smaller thanks to that. But it lost its charm except for some First Class arrangements perhaps.

I feel similar about motoring. Back in the old days it was special. Today cars are very common and practical - more people can benefit from motoring, but the magic is often lost. Except for some places, one of them being what you just described. Even though it is beyond financial reach of a lot of people, including myself, I am happy it exists and I am happy you shared your experience.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 00:32:55 by Rolf-Dieter »
Pawel

280SL 1970 automatic 180G Silver
W128 220SE
W121 190SL
G-class

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 00:28:57 »
Pawel,

I know exactly what you mean. Speaking of Air Travel, I too remember the old days when taking a trip to Europe was fun. Today one is cramped in an airplane seat and one just has to put up with it for 7 hours or longer in the same spot. One of my last Customers (I was already retired in 2007) called me to lead a few of his Engineers to Italy and then to Egypt to check out a manufacturer they planned to use for rotating equipment on a large pipeline expansion project. Air faire was first class all the way, needless to say like day and night in comparison to economy class. On my last trip to Europe and back I used the extra cushion and blanket under my bum since the seats are so uncomfortable now. I'm sure it's not the fault of the designers that todays planes are so uncomfortable and crowded, I'm sure it's the accountants (that mostly now run large companies not like in the olden days when engineers run the show). It's the times we are living in.

Regarding Motoring, it is nice to know that our Pagoda is a sort of timeless car and we all enjoying it when we have a chance to drive her if even only for short distances. I like to take mine out at least once a week and put 10 + miles on it. I also enjoy long travels (have taken her to Virginia in 2013 and to NY State to the Deutsche Classic in 2015). I've traveled on the well known Route 66 with my daughter in 2011 (in a BMW Z4 3.5is) all the way (whenever the route was usable - some sections no longer are) to the end to LA. It was great fun then up the California coastal highway 1. We are fortunate to have a timeless car like the Pagoda. One of my Bucket List items is to repeat that trip with the Pagoda, then it might be a so called Pipe Dream.

You folks in Poland have taken some fantastic trips I like most of us have been following your adventures.

Happy Motoring in the Future!

Best,

Dieter

This video shows about 50% of what I was able to see during my tour, a truly completed bucket list item :)

----> https://youtu.be/oqVkxCLj8EY
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 00:56:47 by Rolf-Dieter »

TJMart

• Silver
  • USA, NC, Matthews
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 20:58:21 »
I was there last September and you're right AWESOME tour!!

Tony
Tony
1970 280SL, 4 Speed

zak

• Silver
  • USA, NJ, Bernardsville
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 21:15:52 »
A fascinating and trip tour for sure Dieter.
We are all envious who have not gone.
May I ask what model AMG rocket you drive?

jz
1967 250 SL
1983 280 SL
2015 ML 250 Bluetec
2007 ML CDI
2004 E 320 Wagon
1999 E300 Turbodiesel

Rolf-Dieter ✝︎

• Platinum
  • Canada, ON, London
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 22:03:56 »
Tony,

great place for sure. Friendly people.

Jz,

It is a 2012 C63 AMG, 487 HP. I drive fast cars (my DD) for safety not for speed.

Dieter

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 22:09:35 by Rolf-Dieter »

cabrioletturbo

• Associate Member
  • Silver
  • Canada, Ontario, Ottawa
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 00:46:32 »
Dieter,

While there, does AMG have records of the old pre-merger cars?
I am looking for some information on a particular vehicle and Classic Centre in Irvine was not able to help.
Wondering if AMG head office may be able to shed some light. Was there anything like that available in Affalterbach?
Igor
1965 W113 230SL, Ivory with Black